How do you master your swing change

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For those who have made any kind of change how did you go about getting it embedded into those grey cells. Was it just a case of ball after ball at the range, or did you dry swing in the garden or in the house. Did any of you have any extreme or wierd ways of mastering that change

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am going through that very thing right now, a complete change of plane, my pro see's my swing and when he finishes laughing he tries to get me on the correct plane, the lesson can be hard work as I generally fall apart and completely fail to do what I have been shown, however I go off and try to work on the changes at the range, maybe 2 or 3 50 ball sessions a week, I also keep a club in my office and a few times a day I practice getting myself in position and try to swing on a more correct plane. As you get older changes are much harder to take on board but I keep trying (and failing), then I try again.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I am going through that very thing right now, a complete change of plane, my pro see's my swing and when he finishes laughing he tries to get me on the correct plane, the lesson can be hard work as I generally fall apart and completely fail to do what I have been shown, however I go off and try to work on the changes at the range, maybe 2 or 3 50 ball sessions a week, I also keep a club in my office and a few times a day I practice getting myself in position and try to swing on a more correct plane. As you get older changes are much harder to take on board but I keep trying (and failing), then I try again.

I've been changing shoulder plane at the top of the swing and do pretty much the same as AAC ^^

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had a lesson on Tuesday. Took it straight onto my course for nine holes and then Hanckley with inevitable results. Went to work on it today but the wind on the practice ground was so strong it made balance and tempo very hard. Usually I'd go to the range or practice ground and work hard on the drills (if I've been given any) or the feeling of the correct moves with lots of rehearsals before making a swing and assessing what happened. It's about quality and making sure I'm doing the right things rather than bashing ball after ball

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Currently a few months into a "swing rebuild". It's about being patient, not setting any time goals and quality over quantity in practice. Regularly video your swing to check where it's at compared to where it feels it's at and where you want it to be at!

Try to find a range with mirrors so even your slo mo rehearsal moves are something you can look at and keep a check on.

Overall I think it really is about being very patient and not get swayed or distracted from the long term goal by results on the course.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going through swing change myself .
Steeper plane to stop over the top .
i find the hardest thing is to play in comps while doing this I am struggling to score.
practice quite a bit but weather is not helping.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Constantly hitting 'fresh air' whenever I get the opportunity does it for me, then all you need to do when next out on the course is stick a ball in front of the club head, job jobbed... :thup:

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Firm believer in the longer you've played the game, the harder it is to make big swing changes.

I've had a bit of a torrid time with mine. I've played off of around 2-3 handicap for quite a while and decided that I needed to change things for a bit more consistency. I've gone up to 4 and it's taken me a good year, but the changes are starting to bed down now and I'm seeing the benefits of it.

For me , the best way I've bedded the changes in is by playing. There's only so much I can do on a range.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For those who have made any kind of change how did you go about getting it embedded into those grey cells. Was it just a case of ball after ball at the range, or did you dry swing in the garden or in the house. Did any of you have any extreme or wierd ways of mastering that change

best ways is you need to do both block practice on the swing change/s at the range - but not only sticking to just one club - sure start off with an 8i or 7i fro a spell - but don't always just do that as it never really helps tp really learn & get the changes down

also you need some slow-mo swing block practice to feel the new move/s - preferably with into a mirror - to see exactly what the slow-mo moves are that you are making - in are they where they should be? -

just doin stuff by 'feel' alone will be unreliable - in a lesson you have both the eye of the coach & video (LM) to immediately reset anything that needs to be reset - often times that will take place even when you've 'felt' you have been doing what has been asked in the lesson but in reality were not

so real important that any practice time alone has to be monitored with some rigor - so slow-mo & mirrors - then slower than full swing speed with balls that you record on the cell to look at during practice

it's a ways impossible for the most part to swing at normal full speed just hit a bunch of balls with one club to one target & change the swing motion to new patterns of motion - whatever the lesson showed they needed to be

- plus it's a ways impossible to know for sure what you are doing through feel & even ball flight alone -

as the intuition will kick in & want to repeat the old patterns of motion while trying to still get ball flight to target - so ball flight may well be appearing to fly pretty well but that still could be & often times is from the old motion patterns still as you will have had spells with the 'old swing' that things went pretty well anyways so folk think they are making progress to the changes

- but then next time out in practice they can't understand why they don't continue to go well with progress & often times the next practice session ball flight may well return to the normal problems & issues & folks think that's now happening from the 'new motion patterns' when that's not the case at all it's still the old swing motion - as nothing much in the swing has changed at all

this kinda stuff is why folks have such a hard time changing their swing motions - because a whole bunch of the time those things haven't really changed it's just 'felt' like they have done

so may be a drag to do but practice has to be monitored with video (any slow-mo swing segments to get a 'feel' done with a mirror) you have gotta be able to 'really see' you are for sure changing the motion patterns

after block practice you have to do some random practice at the range - so now right through the bag to different targets/distances each ball hit (probably still necessary to go back at times to 60% swing motion along with the norm 85% swings switch it up - as you work to make the new motion patterns start to stick

- but again you need to keep recording on cell periodically right through the session to check you having moved from an 8i to a 5i say (or whatever) & that you still are making the new patterns of motion with each new club (whatever the lesson tee has shown you need to be doing)

then you also need to take this all out to the course (get a holder you can clip to the stand bag you can still take a few video's as you go round - just pick some quieter course time to do it)
as again you gotta monitor it because with the distractions of the course (traps/water/trees/ob's whatever) you still gotta now you not slipped back to the old motion patterns - which is all to easy for folks to do - soon as you think it's okay I can do it by feel alone is when you start goin backwards

if it's a bunch quiet then occasionally give yourself 2 balls - but instead of hitting the first thinking it's ok cause you have another free go - just mentally impose upon yourself that's its paramount that the result with the first ball has to be the best shot so the second isn't goin to be able to beat it (also a good practice game to play through short game or putting practice)

many folks in a comp has had the first ball being bad in a comp off the tee but then second ball being great - "why couldn't I do that first time" echoes round many tracks
- but if you put that pressure on yourself over the first ball in a 2 ball practice it's amazing how that starts to work in your favor over time

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me it was listening to my pro, taking baby steps and practice.

I wasn't playing a lot of golf at the time, I have a feeling that helped. During major swing changes it might be a good time to take a break from competition golf. Come back when you have made the change more permanent.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I am a big fan of tai chi like slow mo. My practice time on the range is very limited, especially in winter, so I try to get at least some of the work done at home. So I grab a club as often as possible, going through the desired motions in slo mo tempo in front of a mirror. My living room is also high enough to allow me a full swing with most clubs (I have to choke down a bit on the driver and woods).

The one thing I cannot practice that way is ball striking/impact, for obvious reasons.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Immediately following a couple of lessons aimed at sort a serious problem I had I did a few sessions by myself on the range; taking my time and focussing very hard on doing what I was told to do - and using the 6i I used in the lessons.

But being one who does not enjoy practice I then took to hitting 12-20 balls on the range before every round - again focussing simply on what I was told - using the one club I used - the 6i.

I also now do a couple of practice backswing 'sets' before every shot - every shot. One before I address the ball; then a second after address.

Last time out (with pokerjoke, Radbourne2010 and JamesR on Tuesday before HFH) I was less focussed on playing - more on getting to know the lads. My score was pretty rubbish. BUT - even though I did not do my set routine very often - I did NOT do any of the shots my lessons were aimed at resolving. This is a huge boost as it suggests my head is getting my backswing embedded.

But I must not be complacent - I must treat Tuesday as a one-off and get back to my pre-round and in-round little routines. Because I know this will take time - my swing and my head have come from a very, very dark place of two years ago :)

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it's also important that you are able to have the time to find your own way to make it work for you.

mjleach23

Visit site
I've always found that repetition is key for swing changes. Although repetition is only useful if you're practising the correct move(s). The advances in mobile phone and tablet technology have allowed us to film just about every swing we make. I have found that it is therefore important to be absolutely clear with what we have been told within our lesson in respect of changes and the correct execution of drills. After that...just hitting as many balls as possible until it becomes second nature. We've all been there, it can be a lonely place!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've always found that repetition is key for swing changes. Although repetition is only useful if you're practising the correct move(s). The advances in mobile phone and tablet technology have allowed us to film just about every swing we make. I have found that it is therefore important to be absolutely clear with what we have been told within our lesson in respect of changes and the correct execution of drills. After that...just hitting as many balls as possible until it becomes second nature. We've all been there, it can be a lonely place!

That's me - repetition of exactly what I have been coached to do - no trying my own thing - no tweaking - no nothing - no variants
no different clubs - just doing exactly as I was coached using the club I used in the lesson.

Except I don't use technology and I don't practice it for very long. Just regularly.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
took me about 6 months to go from flat inside swing to more upright neutral. did a fair bit of practice no where near a ball, just in front of a reflection in the french windows and with the Nsync.

hardly ever hit a bad shot with the irons now, driver is a whole different issue:(

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It takes time. I have tried playing the last few days but need to knuckle down and get to the range and work it through as I'm not converting the changes on the course yet. Good ones are excellent but too many of the old swings still in there

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It takes time. I have tried playing the last few days but need to knuckle down and get to the range and work it through as I'm not converting the changes on the course yet. Good ones are excellent but too many of the old swings still in there

What have you been working on recently?

I remember pointing out to you some serious issues in your swing at the start of the year. Ive followed your youtube channel and it looked to me you hadnt fixed your steep downswing the last time i watched it.