How do you hold the club?

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve always used interlock, but the other day tried not interlocking/overlapping little fingers and quite liked it. It’s almost “baseball” grip except my right hand is still over the left thumb as in a normal interlock, just the rest of fingers are separated and holding the club.

What’s your preferred way? Anyone else is using something unorthodox?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone else is using something unorthodox?
Yeah. Mine is like a reverse overlap. I guess it's close to baseball grip, with a strong-ish left hand and pretty neutral right, but my left forefinger sits on top of my right pinky. I can't remember why I have this grip, I've done it since I first played as a kid.

I have tried other grips, but interlocking feels like I'm going to dislocate my right pinky, and traditional overlap just feels weak, like my right hand is barely holding the club and I might let go by accident. My grip just feels the most comfortable and doesn't seem to cause any issues.

Albo

Visit site
Interlocking for me.
I think since reading golf tuition books as a lad I picked it up and now years later feels natural and couldn’t imagine changing

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I played overlap for years - since I was a kid so like 40 years.
Last year I'd cut my knuckle on my first finger - left hand, and the scar made it difficult to bend - so started playing interlock. Instantly took my slice off my driver, and my swing is much more consistent as a result.
I find by interlocking my grip is repeatable - if I try to move my hands to a weaker or stronger position, then it becomes uncomfortable as my rh pinky will start pressing against my knuckles on my fingers on my glove hand.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Used to interlock, but changed to overlap about 15 years ago - all a bit painful when interlocked !

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To add to the topic, is anyone using thicker grips? BdC has the jumbo ones and they are supposed to be easier on the hands.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
I had used an interlocking grip, since I read a Jack Nicklaus book back in 1978
but a few years ago I found my bad Iron shot was a block/slice out to right
A friend and I was filming each others swings 3 years back and re-run them back in slow motion and I noticed that every now and then I was twisting my wrists open at impact
I went to overlap and found the easiness of the twisting is dramatically reduced (try it now without a club and see if you find any difference)
My iron play has seen the biggest saving in strokes gained over the last 3 years than other areas of scoring and my playing partners have all noticed the improvement

Mandofred

Visit site
I'd always played overlap....until I got a bit of arthritis in a left hand finger. Hurt to hold, so went to interlock.....not an issue.....I've small hands so that is supposed to be better? A couple of years later I read something about midsize grips....shazam. Much better feel. Then I tried jumbo grips....nope, too big. Currently with oversize with lots of tapes under. I like large grips....don't care what the "experts" say. Been playing 10 finger the last few years, occasionally try to swing a few with the old grips....but my whole hands on the grip just feels better. Golf is full of "this is the way you should do it".....that just isn't true. Never going back to standard grips....never.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Vardon grip for me and reverse overlap for the putter
To add to the topic, is anyone using thicker grips? BdC has the jumbo ones and they are supposed to be easier on the hands.
'Correct grip's are where the middle two fingers are almost touching the thumb pad.

What you have to careful with if changing the grips for other reasons is to avoid the ball going off in the wrong direction. Too thick for me e.g midsize results in a slight push.

To establish the recommended grip try

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

A few years ago I was experimenting with different types of grips and thicknesses, the end result was the new decade multi-compound midsize with three extra layers of tape under the bottom hand.
At the time, I felt that I wasn't able to swing with full power and control while concerned that my fingers would be unable to prevent the club from spinning on off-centre strikes. The large variation in strike location means "location" is too precise a word.:LOL:

Anyway, that was my solution to being able to hold onto the club and it had the added benefit of allowing me to add a rib too!

The only grip I've ever used is overlap and reverse overlap for putting. Tried interlock and baseball at different times but only once each and never got on with either.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The ball doesn't care how you hold the club, it's more concerned about where the clubface is pointing at impact.
Like Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods and more recently, Rory Mcllroy to name but a few, I also interlock