The much maligned 10 finger grip

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been experimenting with the 10 finger, sometimes referred to (mistakenly) as the baseball grip or the full-fingered grip. This grip seems to be frowned upon by the vast majority of teaching professionals, seemingly because having all the fingers of the stronger trail hand on the grip can cause it to dominate the swing contributing to a hook.
For this reason, Harry Vardon, who apparently had large, strong and fast hands and suffered from a hook helped to develop the overlap grip which removed the little finger of the trail hand from the grip, reducing its dominance.
From that as an alternative, the interlock grip was born and pros do seem to like the interlock.

Here is my question. The interlock takes a finger of both hands off the grip, so why is that any different to the 10 finger grip? Both grips have an equal number of fingers of each hand on the grip.
Pros also seem to like the reverse overlap for golfers who struggle with interlock and overlap. But reverse overlap has all the fingers of the dominant trail hand and one less finger of the “weaker” lead hand on the grip. So surely, using this analogy the reverse overlap would be worse than the 10 finger grip?
So why is the 10 finger grip so frowned upon?
I am guessing there are other reasons than the number of fingers of the trail hand on the grip?

D

Deleted member 3432

I'm not sure it's frowned upon, I've used it all my golfing life and never yet had a pro try to change it other than a comment when my grip had got a touch too weak or strong.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I am guessing there are other reasons than the number of fingers of the trail hand on the grip?
As a hockey player, I started with the 10 finger grip, but changed to overlap fairly quickly because it was more stable - keeping either wrist from getting involved.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a hockey player, I started with the 10 finger grip, but changed to overlap fairly quickly because it was more stable - keeping either wrist from getting involved.
That’s interesting. I wonder why you found overlap to be more stable with less emphasis on the wrists. Maybe because the hands are closer together?
The main reason I am experimenting with the 10 finger is that my interlock has never been stable and has a tendency to move. The 10 finger certainly resolves this and the affect it has on strike is quite dramatic.

Reactions: AAC

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That’s interesting. I wonder why you found overlap to be more stable with less emphasis on the wrists. Maybe because the hands are closer together?
The main reason I am experimenting with the 10 finger is that my interlock has never been stable and has a tendency to move. The 10 finger certainly resolves this and the affect it has on strike is quite dramatic.
I found/find the overlap to be more stable than the interlock - as well as being more comfortable. Interlock still allowed my wrists move (especially the right one...radial/ulner?) while overlap tends not to(slightly oddly!). It seems to be a case of finding the one that works best for you, or, in my case, me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have been experimenting with the 10 finger, sometimes referred to (mistakenly) as the baseball grip or the full-fingered grip. This grip seems to be frowned upon by the vast majority of teaching professionals, seemingly because having all the fingers of the stronger trail hand on the grip can cause it to dominate the swing contributing to a hook.
For this reason, Harry Vardon, who apparently had large, strong and fast hands and suffered from a hook helped to develop the overlap grip which removed the little finger of the trail hand from the grip, reducing its dominance.
From that as an alternative, the interlock grip was born and pros do seem to like the interlock.

Here is my question. The interlock takes a finger of both hands off the grip, so why is that any different to the 10 finger grip? Both grips have an equal number of fingers of each hand on the grip.
Pros also seem to like the reverse overlap for golfers who struggle with interlock and overlap. But reverse overlap has all the fingers of the dominant trail hand and one less finger of the “weaker” lead hand on the grip. So surely, using this analogy the reverse overlap would be worse than the 10 finger grip?
That sounds like my grip pretty much. Have done it ever since I was having beginner group lessons as a skinny weakling of a 14/15 year old as far as I recall. It certainly doesn't make me hook as in your opening paragraph - I have a strong grip with it and still fade the ball.

I always figured overlapping or interlocking grips were preferred to keep the hands working together rather than independently due to them being apart and not connected. Not really because of how many fingers are on the club. Just an assumption on my part though.

I can't do the interlock, it feels like I'm going to dislocate my right pinky.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
10 finger gripper here.
Vardon to overlap before settling on baseball about 5 years ago.
Went from 5hcp to 0 after switching.
Baseball grip works just fine.
Well, if it gets me to scratch…?
I really want to change to baseball grip because the quality of strike I get is so much better and in the net when hitting ball after ball, it works well. On the course though, I do hit a lot of big draws / hooks when using baseball. Reading some of these replies makes me think it’s more about making sure both hands work together and it could be I am letting my right hand be too active through impact.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well, if it gets me to scratch…?
I really want to change to baseball grip because the quality of strike I get is so much better and in the net when hitting ball after ball, it works well. On the course though, I do hit a lot of big draws / hooks when using baseball. Reading some of these replies makes me think it’s more about making sure both hands work together and it could be I am letting my right hand be too active through impact.
Not so much 'work together' but more 'as a single unit'. 'Rigid' and 'locked' aren't quite the right terms either, but wherever there's potential for separate movement, there's potential for inconsistency!