Finger pain on iron shots

Ando

Visit site
Hoping to get the forum's collective wisdom on a challenge I've had recently.

Last couple of rounds I've had pain in the index finger of my left hand with iron shots. I'm right handed and use an interlocking grip. It's almost like the finger is being pinched/bashed by my other hand.

This doesn't seem to happen on shots with woods. I've not noticeably changed my grip or swing and when checking my grip everything seemed normal. Something must have changed though. Yesterday I had a tendency to push iron shots (almost a couple of shanks too). Guessing the two are related - although could subconsciously trying to change something to avoid discomfort, I suppose.

I appreciate it's tough to answer without seeing swing or grip but any suggestions on why this is happening and how to solve it would be massively appreciated.

Also, one of my wedges has a larger grip than my irons, same thing happening there too, in case that's relevant.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Graphite shafts do dampen the hit and take a lot of the shock out of the hands.
Irons ( steel shafts ) have got better but can still give your hands quite a shock if you mishit the ball.
But if you are only getting it in one finger it sounds like arthritis.
But we’re only guessing.
GP or a good phisio is my advice at least you know where you are then.
If it’s not arthritis then you can look at the grip/ shafts.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Hope it's not arthritis but worth trying to find out if it is.
What I found with the interlocking grip is.
If you play a lot the nature of that grip has your index ( left) and little ( right) with quite a gap in them from the natural position.
With the Vardon overlap grip the fingers are more or less closer to their natural position ( I.e. the gaps between your fingers natural positions relative to your hand is smaller)
If that makes sense to you.
This bigger gap might be the reason for your pain
Especially if you practice and play a lot it can move the joint slightly out of sync.
I would still get a diagnosis first then try the Vardon grip.

Ando

Visit site
What I found with the interlocking grip is.
If you play a lot the nature of that grip has your index ( left) and little ( right) with quite a gap in them from the natural position.
With the Vardon overlap grip the fingers are more or less closer to their natural position ( I.e. the gaps between your fingers natural positions relative to your hand is smaller)
If that makes sense to you.
This bigger gap might be the reason for your pain
Especially if you practice and play a lot it can move the joint slightly out of sync.
I would still get a diagnosis first then try the Vardon grip.

Yes, that makes sense, thanks.

Hadn't considered arthritis - I'm in my thirties, guess it's not something that crosses your mind until it's apparent?

Experimented with the overlap grip before. Having become accustomed to the interlocking grip it felt like I didn't have enough control over the club head/face. Based on these suggestions will give it another go on the range though.