Putter grips…How do you hold your putter and why?

evemccc

Visit site
I’m a poor putter…

Most pros break putting down to 3 things AFAIK:

1) green reading
2) starting ball on desired line
3) distance control

Yet I feel I’m not bad at the first, in fact quite good. It’s my stroke mechanics that are v poor — affecting distance control and start line

I’ve to date only used a conventional putting grip — now willing to experiment with in particular, left hand low….

Pros / cons of both and other grips appreciated

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I've tried them all.
Each has it's pro & cons

Left hand low - I found it easier to putt on the correct line, but I found distance control harder.

Claw grip - hopeless for line & distance

Prayer grip - good for the correct line, but distance control was harder.

Ultimately, the best compromise for me was the conventional grip, I don't consider myself a bad putter & it's very rare for me to 3 putt.
What has been of more benefit to my game has been to improve my short game around the green & to get my chips & bump & runs closer to the flag.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’ve used the claw grip for about six years. I find it by far the best way of squaring the putter face.

I don’t find I struggle with distance control, as my lag putting is pretty good. The only time I’ll ever opt for a conventional grip is if I have a seriously long putt and need to give it a real smack to get it there.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I putter the last two years with the prayer because as you say starting the putter on the right line seems easier. I have struggled big time with distance control recently but I put that down to no practice. I played pretty regular up until October where greens were still pretty quick. Three months off and back to slow bobbly fluffy greens and I’m struggling.

Tomorrow I’ll try the traditional overlap from long range if aiming to two putt with a tap in prayer.

My prayer is a little unique as my right hand sits slightly lower, traditional prayer hybrid.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use standard grip pretty much. I did go through a phase of trying some of the other grips - left hand low, pencil/claw etc - but all of them just made the putter go wobbly on the backswing. My left hand is just so weak that I can't keep the putter straight unless I have a firm right hand on it doing the work, so I had to stick with conventional. I just have to make sure I keep my left elbow tight to my hip and follow through towards the cup to make sure I don't close the face on the way through and pull it.

Green reading is my problem though. I'm pretty hopeless at that.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use the same Vardon grip that I use on all the other clubs - one less thing to think about although I'm still a long way from being a good putter.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Changed to left hand low 3 years ago and consider myself a good putter, maybe a bit aggressive at times which leads to lip outs if line not spot on , but very rarely short

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Standard right hand low, palms facing, index finger of each hand straight down the shaft to try and keep the wrists out of the stroke. (Left hand index finger on top of right hand fingers but still straight down the shaft.)

evemccc

Visit site
Green reading is my problem though. I'm pretty hopeless at that.

A lesson may help, there was a few general things to look out for which a pro highlighted, which has helped me

The most obvious being, most amateurs miss the putt on the low side….and if you watch your playing partners and your own putts you’ll probably find this to be true

So then you can perhaps add more break then you might have done for future putts

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good thread.
I am not the best putter, probably held me back if I'm honest. I don't 3 putt much, I just don't hole enough.
I switch between conventional and left hand low if I am struggling.
Left hand low is better for shorter putts and conventional for pace control.
Putter grip is important for me. The tour snsr grips are excellent.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’ve used the claw grip for about six years. I find it by far the best way of squaring the putter face.

I don’t find I struggle with distance control, as my lag putting is pretty good. The only time I’ll ever opt for a conventional grip is if I have a seriously long putt and need to give it a real smack to get it there.

I've never seen anyone putt badly using this method.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Right handed conventional overlap for other shots.
For putting I overlap the index finger of the left hand to put all fingers of right hand on the grip.
I putt with my right hand doing all the action and the left arm and hand merely keeps things steady and straight.
This is very different from other shots where I try to get the hands working as one unit.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The same as I hold all my clubs...interlock.
The only difference is I don't hinge my wrists and I try and keep my lower half as still as I can.
The only changes I make are the width of my stance and the length of my swing

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I experimented with left hand low and found that it improved direction but pace control was worse.
And since pace is more important than line when you're trying to avoid 3-putting, I went back to interlock.
However, I interlock two fingers instead of one - it seems to help take the hands out of the stroke.

Jason.H

Visit site
I use the claw grip. Im not one to chop and change. I know I can save shots in this area. Never worked on putting but will before the season kicks off.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Have always used a conventional grip…what has revolutionised my putting has been getting an understanding of my strong right eye dominance, what it causes, and how I can accommodate and compensate for it.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Putting is the best part of my game. Conventional grip for me but my left fore finger over laps rather than interlocks…I think. If I approach putts confidently, I hole more. Also try to be instinctive and not too mechanical.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Originally I used the Vardon grip because I knew no better having been taught how to grip a club in the beginning but not a putter.

I switched to the reverse overlap having had a putting lesson about 25-30 years ago and have never changed since except for a very short experiment with a long putter.

I am good putter and fell very confident with this grip simply because it is something I can rely on. My bad putts mainly are pushes which come from looking up too soon.