How Do I Play this Shot

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Looking for some advice on how to play the shot pictured below:

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

IMG_3607.jpg

The Ball is lying in approx 1 1/2 - 2 inches of lush grass, the fringe is 6-7 feet from the ball, the fringe is 2-3 feet wide and the flag is a further 6 - 7 feet on.

Just looking for different options, either i got under the ball and moved it half way up the bank or I put it across the green.

Different options appreciated

D

Deleted member 15344

Same as normal chip for me - look to land it on the fringe but expect that it may hop out - 56 degree on the back foot and make sure you accelerate through the ball to ensure that you go through the grass then onto the ball

A few would look to play the flop shot but then the danger is going underneath the ball - just got to make sure you don't deaccelerate and end up chunking it or get to quick and thin it

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

View attachment 20286

View attachment 20287

The Ball is lying in approx 1 1/2 - 2 inches of lush grass, the fringe is 6-7 feet from the ball, the fringe is 2-3 feet wide and the flag is a further 6 - 7 feet on.

Just looking for different options, either i got under the ball and moved it half way up the bank or I put it across the green.

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?71562-chip-pitch-from-the-rough

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site

View attachment 20286

View attachment 20287

Easy.
Most lofted wedge, opening the face and hit it hard and positively like a bunker splash shot. Float it up high, land it just in the green and watch it roll up nearby the hole.

D

Deleted member 16999

Easy.
Most lofted wedge, opening the face and hit it hard and positively like a bunker splash shot. Float it up high, land it just in the green and watch it roll up nearby the hole.

Dificult to answer, understandibly without you seeing me, I was trying that and getting what Phil was saying about appearing to get under the ball, the ball was held up in the grass.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dificult to answer, understandibly without you seeing me, I was trying that and getting what Phil was saying about appearing to get under the ball, the ball was held up in the grass.

If you think there's a danger of going under the ball, keep your weight even.
If the ball is sat well down and you can't slide under, weight on the front foot.

At least that's what this guy says...

[video=youtube_share;C5ophbTUY7s]https://youtu.be/C5ophbTUY7s[/video]

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

View attachment 20286

View attachment 20287

my take couple issues with this kinda shot are the short amount, relatively speaking, the ball has to travel to end a reasonable distance from the pin also given it has to clear a good bunch of stuff you don't want to leave it in

so there's gotta be a tad of continual speed to the clubhead to get it through the grass as the lie presents itself here (ramped up even a tad some more resistance if the grass is damp/wet)

so in effect the clubhead speed needed for the distance of travel would send the ball out too hot too far, or subconsciously folks sensing this they decelerate and dump if a few feet so still in the thicker stuff

so the speed of the clubhead gotta to really be used to send the ball 'up in the air some' (not a fancy flop unless folks have down a whole bunch of practice of this) but still up

way to get this down is partly in set-up and partly in execution (as normal the line of the shot taken from behind the ball and an area on the green picked out that's the landing target)

that said take the highest lofted wedge you got, or if you got a 60º but not that comfy with it and/or don't use it over much, the second highest lofted wedge

first off open up the face just a tad (open the face then take the grip on the handle, not take the grip as normal then rotate the hands to open the face as that won't have the face open in the actual shot execution) so little ways more of the 'bounce' gets presented for 2 reasons, square face the grass more likely to want to shut the face down on contact and that lowers loft as well as making the ball come out hot with clubhead speed, tad open face helps disperse the energy from the clubhead speed to send the ball up

have the ball center feet off of the sternum with the butt end handle pointed at the belt buckle belly button area so the shaft is more vertical or with just a tad of forwards lean - as put ball off the back foot with a forwards leaning shaft the ball's coming out too low too hot or again folks likely to quit on it

weight around 55%:45% and keep it that ways the whole time, tad of a wrist hinge as turn aways as want a little ways steeper angle of attack and the chest must continue to turn into impact and through as you want that continuous feeling of speed to work against the resistance of the grass and realistically even with a tad steeper swing the first point of contact will always be the grass around an inch or so behind the ball so you gotta mentally prepare for that contact and 'sound' and keep the clubhead moving keep the core and the chest turning

when faced on the course move goodbunch feet aways from the ball to similar length grass to set-up and have some rehearsal shots to feel the resistance you going to in the shot itself - never rehearse close to where the ball lies as if the ball is caught up any and not on the ground the rehearsal swing will cause the ball to move

key is though folks have got to practice this kinda stuff on a regular basis can't for sure expect decent percentage of good outcomes only ever playing this shot a small bunch of times in a round of golf - just not going to happen

practice I do regularly is a game called 'greenside pitch par' take 6, 10, 12 whatever (depending on how much you want to bite off and time you got to practice) and spot then around a practice green area in the rough like this lie, some easier, some deeper down

if using 6 balls the par is 12 so par is down in two
object of the game is to beat par tough ask as you gotta hole out at least once
done over time regularly and keep a record to make it competitive against yourself each time

just start and go round playing all the pitch/chip shots out first - then hole out starting with the balls nearest the hole - first time out is goin to be a bunch over par but then whatever you got a target to aim at

Fish

Banned
Visit site
56 degree sand wedge with the most bounce, keeping my hands well forward all the time commit and don't decelerate, couple of practice swings in similar grass nearby to get the feel of the resistance and pace you need then fully replicate, chip/flop it up & single putt :thup:

#NoFear.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
OR

Use a 9 iron/PW, ball middle, weight forward, choke down the grip and aim to lend the ball in the fringe to kill the speed.
Needs practice though

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
An issue I've had recently with this kind of shot is where the grass is thick and ball is sitting down but the ground under the ball is hard. Particularly on some dryer areas to the side of the green which don't get watered. Feel that my sand wedge has too much bounce and I'm not getting the club under the ball so thinking of trying opening up gap wedge instead. Anyone else got any experience or thoughts on that.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you think there's a danger of going under the ball, keep your weight even.
If the ball is sat well down and you can't slide under, weight on the front foot.

At least that's what this guy says...

[video=youtube_share;C5ophbTUY7s]https://youtu.be/C5ophbTUY7s[/video]

There is a video of Phil doing loads of shots around the green from different lies online its about 9 minutes long and I believe you will learn more in that 9 minutes than 5 hours of lessons off a pro who will waffle on for hours about nothing.

No disrespect to coach but I didn't read your post because that's how I envisage a pro giving a lesson a very long winded answer for a simple solution imo.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its not only the length of grass the ball is sitting in. You have to look at how much is sitting behind the ball where you are looking to strike it.

It seems to have a clump where the club would make contact with the ball.

I would be giving this a decent thump. Hitting 1 and half inches behind the ball, face open a bit, aiming left with the handle lowered releasing the club head.

Because you are presenting so much loft, you are free to give it a decent thump as its only going to go a bit higher and a little further.

As I said in the thread I posted earlier, I used to dig these out with hands ahead etc hitting down but more often than not they came out hot with little control or worse, stubbed the club into the ground.

As bob says, you must practice this shot to know how it will react, give you confidence to play it and know how not to go under the ball depending on how the ball is sitting.

This shot is a lot of fun. Go try it.

D

Deleted member 16999

Cheers all, plenty of options and food for thought, definitely will practise a few and see which is the most comfortable/rewarding.

D

Deleted member 18121

From that lie and without much room I'd play a standard chip with a 58, get it on the green, two putt and move on

This for me.

Yes you could try and be cute and land it in the fringe or short of the flag and single putt....but the % play is to safely get the ball on the green and then 2 putt.

I have however always been a fan of a thinned wedge (read attempted flop shot).....about 300mph, 1 foot off the floor, hit the flag and drop down into the hole.

D

Deleted member 16999

Good practise today on the course from similar lies, more good than bad, the video Gary linked is good fun to attempt, when the flop shot comes off it's great, also flopped it short.

also tried 9I/PW and positive results but need to learn pace as these came out really well, too well at times:rofl:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good practise today on the course from similar lies, more good than bad, the video Gary linked is good fun to attempt, when the flop shot comes off it's great, also flopped it short.

also tried 9I/PW and positive results but need to learn pace as these came out really well, too well at times:rofl:

Me and scouser will take you through options, next time.;)