How Close Are You To Leaving?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well well well, I went up to my place yesterday and as I walked on the back nine it was ok...ish. As I approached the 16th were there has been a problem for a few years it was rock hard dry. Then I got to the green. Behind the green there is a water thing that is (was) over grown. Guess what? That's where the bluddy drains are!!!!! Its has been cleared and dug out and now seems to be flowing AWAY FROM THE COURSE!!!! This has taken me 3 months of going behind the greenkeepers and committes back to find out the reasons for the problem. The GK were blaming a leak from the canal feeder. The people responsible for it have confirmed it has no leak and pushed it back to our GK saying sort your own drainage out.....which it now appears they have, at least, made a start on. There's only two other places to sort. Will they have a go at this?

Could it be we may get our course back to how it was when I joined?????

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well well well, I went up to my place yesterday and as I walked on the back nine it was ok...ish. As I approached the 16th were there has been a problem for a few years it was rock hard dry. Then I got to the green. Behind the green there is a water thing that is (was) over grown. Guess what? That's where the bluddy drains are!!!!! Its has been cleared and dug out and now seems to be flowing AWAY FROM THE COURSE!!!! This has taken me 3 months of going behind the greenkeepers and committes back to find out the reasons for the problem. The GK were blaming a leak from the canal feeder. The people responsible for it have confirmed it has no leak and pushed it back to our GK saying sort your own drainage out.....which it now appears they have, at least, made a start on. There's only two other places to sort. Will they have a go at this?

Could it be we may get our course back to how it was when I joined?????

its amazing sometimes that just clearing a ditch can have on the drainage of a course.

Visit site
Sadly leaving my Golf Club of 12 years (since I was 11), Wildwood Golf Club, Surrey, this month when my membership expires. They were taken over in late-2016 by property developers, and the staff have not had any contact, or been paid since. No membership renewals have been issued, and it looks like it's time is up.

On the plus side, however, I have an interview at Hindhead Golf Club which is a massive step up.

https://waverleyweb.org/2017/03/09/...golf-club-gone-into-the-rough/comment-page-1/
https://waverleyweb.org/2017/03/11/are-there-plans-afoot-to-drag-wildwood-out-of-a-big-hole/

Very sad stuff seeing your home from home go into the depths of the abyss.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sadly leaving my Golf Club of 12 years (since I was 11), Wildwood Golf Club, Surrey, this month when my membership expires. They were taken over in late-2016 by property developers, and the staff have not had any contact, or been paid since. No membership renewals have been issued, and it looks like it's time is up.

On the plus side, however, I have an interview at Hindhead Golf Club which is a massive step up.

https://waverleyweb.org/2017/03/09/...golf-club-gone-into-the-rough/comment-page-1/
https://waverleyweb.org/2017/03/11/are-there-plans-afoot-to-drag-wildwood-out-of-a-big-hole/

Johnny, please tell me your name isn't a wind-up and is also pronounced "gutter edge", especially with the problems that Crazy face has on this thread.:D

Welcome, BTW.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just paid my fees, okay set up a SO, to join a new club. Old club was a hotel course and whilst it was good it lacked a club atmosphere and the greens were never quite good enough. This was the year to move.

I've joined Burgham Park, newly out of administration. The actual joining was not quite as thrilling as I hoped as the new manager is not quite up to speed yet and so everything was a little clumsy. Ah well. I like the course, members have been friendly and hopefully everything will fall into place once the season gets going.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

Played Wildwood a few times years ago with the then Captain. Think his wife was lady captain. I understand there had been problems in the early days as well. Shame to see a course close.

Hindhead is just up the road from me, and is a lovely course. Hankley Common is not bad either.:whistle: If you drive a bit further down the A3 you could always have a look at my club. less than 15 minutes from Hindhead. Spoilt for choice in the area, as you also have Liphook just off the A3

Shame I didn't see this earlier as we have an open day tomorrow.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pretty much left my place, Ashford in Kent. Membership now up to £1200, over £100 per month and the course is just not up to scratch. Greens poor and so many things that aren't good.

Possibly joining Littlestone Artisans (48 hrs divoting a year required) for less than half the price, plenty of competitions, yes early starts but they suit me, my in laws live close by so it suits my family life style. Also, get to play matches against, RSG, RCP, RYE, Royal Blackheath and Royal Wimbledon in the summer. Even if It doesn't work out I get to keep my hcp active, spend the saved cash on lessons and if things don't work out I can always re join Ashford.

Biggest negative is how much ChrisD is going miss me!!! Who will put up with him now.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Pretty much left my place, Ashford in Kent. Membership now up to £1200, over £100 per month and the course is just not up to scratch. Greens poor and so many things that aren't good.

Possibly joining Littlestone Artisans (48 hrs divoting a year required) for less than half the price, plenty of competitions, yes early starts but they suit me, my in laws live close by so it suits my family life style. Also, get to play matches against, RSG, RCP, RYE, Royal Blackheath and Royal Wimbledon in the summer. Even if It doesn't work out I get to keep my hcp active, spend the saved cash on lessons and if things don't work out I can always re join Ashford.

Biggest negative is how much ChrisD is going miss me!!! Who will put up with him now.

Have you ever played Royal Wimbledon or Rye. Fantastic courses. I use to play Royal Wimbledon every month or so. Love the place

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's a chance I'll be leaving at the end of March, depending how the job hunt goes, my CV is being sent on mass to the boss's hometown so it might be a bit of a commute to get back for an 8.45 tee on a Saturday morning.

Paid my fees for this year so staying put and putting the "big move" on hold for a year, best win something big this year!

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just paid my fees, okay set up a SO, to join a new club. Old club was a hotel course and whilst it was good it lacked a club atmosphere and the greens were never quite good enough. This was the year to move.

I've joined Burgham Park, newly out of administration. The actual joining was not quite as thrilling as I hoped as the new manager is not quite up to speed yet and so everything was a little clumsy. Ah well. I like the course, members have been friendly and hopefully everything will fall into place once the season gets going.

just sent you a pm then read this :rofl: quality timing

enjoy mate :thup:

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Surprised to hear your leaving Ashford mate. Thought you'd be off to Princes as I know how much you love that track :eek:

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Very close to leaving mine and have been for a few years now, couple things keep me there is its 5 mins from my house/work, my mates play there but mainly my retired dad plays there and he will never move away. If I moved I'd have to pay more money and not be able to play with my mates or dad. The money isn't an issue, I'd gladly pay more for good facilities/course.
the club is more or less run by volunteers, the shop-volunteers, bar-franchise, catering-franchise all are only open short hours, which in itself is fine with me simply because no-one was using them regularly enough. The club do hold good social events that are well attended.
Main reason I want to leave is the condition of the course, every year it just seems to be a continual dig up without giving the course a chance to recover, and IMO most of the jobs have been done poorly due to lack of funds. Instead of doing 3 jobs properly they are trying to do 10 on the same budget. We have been a wet course in the past due to the land and where it lies and the club have tried to dig ditches in to drain water away which are pretty much an eyesore IMO. In the greens aswell.
over the last few years the course has taken a big drop condition wise the practice facilities are now pretty much ruined as they aren't being looked after properly.

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just paid for membership at a new club, moving on my own - joining pack etc to be collected today.

Now have the decision over the next week or so whether I have 2 memberships as a transition year as you leave long standing golfing mates (10 years+), my son is not moving (yet) etc.

Feels like I should just make the break, (but big step) looking forward to getting away from the negative aspects of staying.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Just paid for membership at a new club, moving on my own - joining pack etc to be collected today.

Now have the decision over the next week or so whether I have 2 memberships as a transition year as you leave long standing golfing mates (10 years+), my son is not moving (yet) etc.

Feels like I should just make the break, (but big step) looking forward to getting away from the negative aspects of staying.

I made a move about 5 years ago, and made a clean break of it, not even keeping a social membership at the old place. The danger of keeping both going is you don't commit to the new club and consequently find excuses to put up with the negative aspects of your old place. If you've committed enough to pay for the new one, follow it through & cut the ties would be my advice. Good luck.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Out of interest, what was in your joining pack? Just joined a club that did nothing, very underwhelming, and I will suggest, after a month or two, that the club do something to welcome new members, explain how things work etc.

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Joining pack had the following - bag tag, car park sticker, diary, card for bar/changing rooms, club rules and usefully a handbook which has a welcome section and then info on handicaps, competitions (rules and how to enter etc), roll ups - what time and days (useful as joining on own) and lots of other bits.

Mainly standard stuff but good to have and some useful things for a new member.