How Close Are You To Leaving?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Not in my mindset. I'm at what I believe is the best course in the area, have made lots of friends since joining and it's a club where I've always felt 'at home' and always enjoy playing there.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Would never leave whilst living in the area. Good course, and great club. Played today and course was on full greens, and amazingly dry despite all the recent rain. If I had a big win on the Premium Bonds I might consider Hankley Common as a second club.

D

Deleted member 15344

Don't even contemplate leaving

Imo it's one of the best members clubs in the area - it's not a better course than the three Woburn courses but it's a better club for a social scene and members being in the bar etc.

The course just gets better and better each year - right now our greens are better than a lot of courses i played last year in the summer , lots of investment in drainage last year and there will be more invetsment coming up with new bunkers , tees and green rebuild plus drainage on greens

The swindles I play in are superb - the early guys I play with in the morning are all top guys with the usual on and off course banter

It's a club that lost its way with poor green staff but with significant restructuring has turned full circle - minimal numbers left at renewal time ( only people that left were leaving the area ) , waiting list just keeps growing with people applying to join each week.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've been a member of the same club for 60 years. There are three courses within 3 miles of where I have lived all my life. One gets so wet in the winter that they are sometimes closed when we aren't on temps even. Another is a really poor layout & I never enjoy playing there. My own course is built on limestone, quite bleak at this time of the year but playable virtually every day, I've not played on temporary greens this year. After years of neglect we finally refurbished the clubhouse & installed new lockers. The course is always well maintained. The Greenkeeper does a great job, although it's made easy by the way the course drains. There is always at least one project carried out during the winter.

All my friends, some of whom I've known for 50 years, play there. I can find someone to play with every day of the week.

So to answer the question, how close am I to leaving? Depends on how long I've got left to live!

60 years,love it :)

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Going nowhere, I love the course I play at and the group I play with are fantastic. Up to 40 players in the swindle which is played off scratch, so no bandits coming in and sweeping the big pots up. Grass driving range and an excellent short game area is included in the fees. A private members bar off the back of the changing room that you can smoke in with it being a private bar :whoo:

Members moan that the course is not as good as it was when it was on the US Tour circuit, but it is still in really good shape.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Current membership at Cooden runs out the end of July.
Due to the fact that I am hardly playing nowadays I am faced with two choices...revert back to "Flexible membership" (which is obviously cheaper and will allow me to keep my handicap) or leave altogether.
I love Cooden, but just don't have the desire to play anywhere at the moment.
I'ts costing me £100 a month for "nothing".

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Don't even contemplate leaving

Imo it's one of the best members clubs in the area - it's not a better course than the three Woburn courses but it's a better club for a social scene and members being in the bar etc.

The course just gets better and better each year - right now our greens are better than a lot of courses i played last year in the summer , lots of investment in drainage last year and there will be more invetsment coming up with new bunkers , tees and green rebuild plus drainage on greens

The swindles I play in are superb - the early guys I play with in the morning are all top guys with the usual on and off course banter

It's a club that lost its way with poor green staff but with significant restructuring has turned full circle - minimal numbers left at renewal time ( only people that left were leaving the area ) , waiting list just keeps growing with people applying to join each week.

This.

I very much like the new bunker builds as they have started revetting them, and they look great.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Really wanted away this yr. few mates were the same , they changed their minds so i stayed put , alot of positives but the few negatives eat away at me ,but having had a chat about it all together the same negatives are probably in most/every club so we are going to TRY ignore them and just focus on the positives ,

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm about as far away as possibe from leaving my club. One of the best in the area and a fantastic place to play golf with 2 1/2 courses, fantastic practise facilities and the course set ups getting better every year.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been a member of the same club for 60 years. There are three courses within 3 miles of where I have lived all my life. One gets so wet in the winter that they are sometimes closed when we aren't on temps even. Another is a really poor layout & I never enjoy playing there. My own course is built on limestone, quite bleak at this time of the year but playable virtually every day, I've not played on temporary greens this year. After years of neglect we finally refurbished the clubhouse & installed new lockers. The course is always well maintained. The Greenkeeper does a great job, although it's made easy by the way the course drains. There is always at least one project carried out during the winter.

This bit made me smile. We have that at my place, CHOPPING TREES DOWN FOR THE GREENKEEPERS WOOD BURNERS AT HOME ! They do nothing else.

RustyTom

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I never renewed my membership this year, so far ive saved 160 not being a member, played once at a pay and play (£18) and played really well considering i hadnt hit a ball for almost 2 months. Dont miss being a member one bit at the moment, feeling like i had to play even if the weather was bad as technically id already paid it, altho come summer im sure il miss it a bit more, but with a wedding to save up for and my old course not showing signs of decent value for money, the membership had to go.

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not going to leave! its the best club in the area - two testing courses, great practise facilities - short game area, 3 practise greens, practise bunkers, 3 good distance practise holes, and a driving range where you can always find unused balls! I'm on flexi membership and can play in all the comps if I want to, good social calendar, friendly and not too pompous! Its a nice place to play!

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My membership runs until the end of April and I think my days of being a member of a golf course are done for a few years. I have a young family and over the last couple of years it would probably just have been cheaper to be a pay and play!!

In terms of the course it's very average and over the last 5 years very little investment so the motivation to join again and not play that much just isn't there.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My course really lacks good practice facilities which is the major negative.

It has been playable all winter on full 18 course, which is one of the main draws to me joining last summer. Although the wind makes a lot of games not that enjoyable being right on the coast.

The age bracket I fit in has been very helpful with the costs, other courses in the area would be costing me far more, even though the normal adult rate is the same at most courses in the area.

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
My membership runs until the end of April and I think my days of being a member of a golf course are done for a few years. I have a young family and over the last couple of years it would probably just have been cheaper to be a pay and play!!

In terms of the course it's very average and over the last 5 years very little investment so the motivation to join again and not play that much just isn't there.

What course are you at?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Where are you now and how old are you. What do you currently pay?

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not even close to leaving. There is no standout course in the area so I certainly won't be changing like for like. I'm tempted though to join felixstowe as a second club and play it through the winter.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's a chance I'll be leaving at the end of March, depending how the job hunt goes, my CV is being sent on mass to the boss's hometown so it might be a bit of a commute to get back for an 8.45 tee on a Saturday morning.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
i cant leave the belfry because none of the surrounding members clubs would have me i recon. at a recent 4 ball comp at my friend's members club the secretary approached a man on the next table and gave him notice of a disciplinary meeting. i didn't realise how loud I'd laughed. when the secretary asked me what i was laughing at i said "1.5k a year has just walked out your club mate"

D

Deleted member 15717

Closer than I ever have been.

Course is great, however, head being turned by local club that has had piles of money invested in the right areas. The course is lusher, so fairways are nicer, as well as better rough to play out of, as well as a layout that I think is better

Tempted to join as a 2nd club, as my membership there would be cheap as chips