How Close Are You To Leaving?

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Joining pack had the following - bag tag, car park sticker, diary, card for bar/changing rooms, club rules and usefully a handbook which has a welcome section and then info on handicaps, competitions (rules and how to enter etc), roll ups - what time and days (useful as joining on own) and lots of other bits.

Mainly standard stuff but good to have and some useful things for a new member.

got very similar at ours, voucher for a free lesson/evaluation with the pro in as well

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spot on. Just the type of thing I had to ask about, answer quality was mixed. I'll look to mention something after a few months as I think it's a really good idea. If I do it now I'll look like Johnny Knowitall so I'll hang on.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surprised to hear your leaving Ashford mate. Thought you'd be off to Princes as I know how much you love that track :eek:

to be honest right now Id prefer to play Princes every week. Ashford's in poor state and the club is awful, no club spirit at all. If you're place wasn't just that little to far away Id consider there but from Ashford it's a mission.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
So true this and gets very confusing,a clean breaks whats needed.

I don't see a social membership as worthwhile at ours, you don't get much for your money. The main advantage was to avoid the joining fee if you wanted to return but there is no fee now

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
to be honest right now Id prefer to play Princes every week. Ashford's in poor state and the club is awful, no club spirit at all. If you're place wasn't just that little to far away Id consider there but from Ashford it's a mission.

Sorry to hear that about Ashford. I enjoyed it when I last played it despite the ramblings of one of my PP that day, how is ChrisD by the way ? ;) . That was a few years back though and I do remember you saying things were not great when we played at RCP.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The course layout is good and what I'd miss most but last summer they got too greedy with the green trying to get them first and ended up ruining 2/3 of them, the bunkers are different every hole and no consistency with how the place is looked after. Then add in the feeling that the club couldnt care less if they lost 20/30 members in one go either. 4 days until decision time!

Visit site
Played Wildwood a few times years ago with the then Captain. Think his wife was lady captain. I understand there had been problems in the early days as well. Shame to see a course close.

Hindhead is just up the road from me, and is a lovely course. Hankley Common is not bad either.:whistle: If you drive a bit further down the A3 you could always have a look at my club. less than 15 minutes from Hindhead. Spoilt for choice in the area, as you also have Liphook just off the A3

Shame I didn't see this earlier as we have an open day tomorrow.

What was their name? I'm sure i'll know them!

I understand when the course opened it was destined for 'massive' things, debentures, exclusivity etc but it never materialised. The course has sadly deteriorated and it's had some awful owners who couldn't run a tap, let alone a golf course. Planning permission was agreed in about 2012 for a hotel and Southern PGA headquarters but lack of funding meant it was never started.

The Hankley joining fee put me off (well, I can't afford it - if that counts as off-putting!) as well as the fact I don't know anyone there. Same with Liphook - don't know any members so don't think i'd get in.

I had my interview with the captains at Hindhead on Saturday and have been formally invited to join which is great. I have to say the course looked absolutely stunning, and i'm really excited to start playing there.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
What was their name? I'm sure i'll know them!

I understand when the course opened it was destined for 'massive' things, debentures, exclusivity etc but it never materialised. The course has sadly deteriorated and it's had some awful owners who couldn't run a tap, let alone a golf course. Planning permission was agreed in about 2012 for a hotel and Southern PGA headquarters but lack of funding meant it was never started.

The Hankley joining fee put me off (well, I can't afford it - if that counts as off-putting!) as well as the fact I don't know anyone there. Same with Liphook - don't know any members so don't think i'd get in.

I had my interview with the captains at Hindhead on Saturday and have been formally invited to join which is great. I have to say the course looked absolutely stunning, and i'm really excited to start playing there.

Stuart Smillie. Haven't seen him for years. We used to play in a big charity day together, which we managed to win one year. I know he paid a lot to join, so must have been one of the

first members.

Generalstore (George) on here is a member of Hindhead. My partner for comps at Blackmoor was a member, but we convinced him to join Blackmoor. He did live on the first hole ! I live 5 minutes from the course, but the hills always put me off joining there. My course is nice and flat !! Being young you should be ok.

We are holding the H4H day at Hankley, so if you fancy a round there for a lot less than the joining fee, get your name down.;)

Rich

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well, even though I've paid my subs for the year at Shaw Hill, Pleasington are doing a deal that's too good to be missed, so I've joined there! Suppose you could say I'm close to leaving.

I'll probably split my time this year (board comp to defend at Shaw Hill) till Captain's weekend, but after that I'll swap my home club to be Pleasington and spend the majority of my time there.

Really looking forward to it!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well, even though I've paid my subs for the year at Shaw Hill, Pleasington are doing a deal that's too good to be missed, so I've joined there! Suppose you could say I'm close to leaving.

I'll probably split my time this year (board comp to defend at Shaw Hill) till Captain's weekend, but after that I'll swap my home club to be Pleasington and spend the majority of my time there.

Really looking forward to it!

Good luck, cracking course.

I know someone who has left there twice - madman!:D

Visit site
Stuart Smillie. Haven't seen him for years. We used to play in a big charity day together, which we managed to win one year. I know he paid a lot to join, so must have been one of the

first members.

Generalstore (George) on here is a member of Hindhead. My partner for comps at Blackmoor was a member, but we convinced him to join Blackmoor. He did live on the first hole ! I live 5 minutes from the course, but the hills always put me off joining there. My course is nice and flat !! Being young you should be ok.

We are holding the H4H day at Hankley, so if you fancy a round there for a lot less than the joining fee, get your name down.;)

Rich

Actually I don't recognise that name, must have been before my days there!

I didn't realise I didn't reply to this post, sorry. I have now become a member at Hindhead, got it sorted last week. Good job I did it when I did, because joining fees have gone up to 1.5x the membership fee!

As for my first round there :eek: 28 points... with 13 points in the first 6 holes, and 18 points after 9 :(

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Actually I don't recognise that name, must have been before my days there!

I didn't realise I didn't reply to this post, sorry. I have now become a member at Hindhead, got it sorted last week. Good job I did it when I did, because joining fees have gone up to 1.5x the membership fee!

As for my first round there :eek: 28 points... with 13 points in the first 6 holes, and 18 points after 9 :(
Going back nearly 20 years, so probably before your time.;)

The back nine is easier.:whistle:;)

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm very close to leaving Hayling, in fact pretty much decided that I will do so at the end of this year. Tough decision for me because I love the club and course but I've moved house and it is now 1.5hrs to get there and I'm just not playing it enough to justify the cost :(

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well well well, I went up to my place yesterday and as I walked on the back nine it was ok...ish. As I approached the 16th were there has been a problem for a few years it was rock hard dry. Then I got to the green. Behind the green there is a water thing that is (was) over grown. Guess what? That's where the bluddy drains are!!!!! Its has been cleared and dug out and now seems to be flowing AWAY FROM THE COURSE!!!! This has taken me 3 months of going behind the greenkeepers and committes back to find out the reasons for the problem. The GK were blaming a leak from the canal feeder. The people responsible for it have confirmed it has no leak and pushed it back to our GK saying sort your own drainage out.....which it now appears they have, at least, made a start on. There's only two other places to sort. Will they have a go at this?

Could it be we may get our course back to how it was when I joined?????

Nope ! But I signed up for another year. I found out a month ago the reason that the area was cleared was that the digger and man hired to rip out the tree stumps that the greenkeepers left after their winter cull of trees on the course, made such a mess of the area he was working on (side of a very wet hill) they stopped him before he ruined the entire area and got him to dig out the ditch where the drain pipe was. This helped the drainage, for a while, but is now overgrown and blocked again and the standing water quickly returned. After our Captains change over comp and dinner, I had quite a few members asking if I was continuing in my role as comp sec as they thing I'm doing a good job. One said he's really enjoyed all the different comps !!! This made me feel good, well it would wouldn't it?
I'm off to deal with our pro this afternoon after he's made changes to my comp fixture list for next season,without consulting me. I'm furious!
I cannot see anything being done about the drainage on the back nine, so I am looking into all my options for next season. I will be influenced in my decision on weather I have a job after the end of March or not.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
I left my previous local club of 6 years, a couple of years ago now and i've not looked back since. best decision i've ever made. The last place was in complete denial about the issues, oblivious to the disgruntlement of the members and too arrogant to do anything about it.

I've since moved to a club which is 40% cheaper, double the number of golf courses, in significantly better condition all year round and incomparable practice facilities. It's also made me a better player.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I left my previous local club of 6 years, a couple of years ago now and i've not looked back since. best decision i've ever made. The last place was in complete denial about the issues, oblivious to the disgruntlement of the members and too arrogant to do anything about it.

I've since moved to a club which is 40% cheaper, double the number of golf courses, in significantly better condition all year round and incomparable practice facilities. It's also made me a better player.

Sounds familiar. :(

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Nowhere near. Course is getting ever better - and we have just commenced a programme to rebuild every bunker on the course to make them all of the same style and consistency.