How Close Are You To Leaving?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I thought you were moving back to your homeland :confused:

That is still indeed the plan. I just didn't count leaving due to circumstances as the same as leaving due issues I might have with the club or course. Mind you given reports I read on here about how courses in the Glasgow, central belt and Edinburgh suffer over the late autumn/winter/early spring months - compared with my current Surrey track - 100% open and dry unless snow or extreme deluge.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Pretty much left my place, Ashford in Kent. Membership now up to £1200, over £100 per month and the course is just not up to scratch. Greens poor and so many things that aren't good.

Possibly joining Littlestone Artisans (48 hrs divoting a year required) for less than half the price, plenty of competitions, yes early starts but they suit me, my in laws live close by so it suits my family life style. Also, get to play matches against, RSG, RCP, RYE, Royal Blackheath and Royal Wimbledon in the summer. Even if It doesn't work out I get to keep my hcp active, spend the saved cash on lessons and if things don't work out I can always re join Ashford.

Biggest negative is how much ChrisD is going miss me!!! Who will put up with him now.

Great course name 👍 proper 2 ball club on their website. Boy I hate playing 5hr Sunday comps 😕 one massive downside from Ullesthorpe court

48hrs does carry sand seed every round count ? Fill why you play.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is still indeed the plan. I just didn't count leaving due to circumstances as the same as leaving due issues I might have with the club or course. Mind you given reports I read on here about how courses in the Glasgow, central belt and Edinburgh suffer over the late autumn/winter/early spring months - compared with my current Surrey track - 100% open and dry unless snow or extreme deluge.

I'm still :confused: , how close are you to leaving ?

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looks like my leaving is getting closer, with April as the target, the boss has given me the nod to apply for jobs in Poland and Germany, already had a phone interview and got a couple more lined up.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Mrs SILH is 'retiring' end of May next year and she wants us to go touring (South America) for a few months after that...

So that wipes out a move next year.

So probably 18months-2yrs...

Still looking Embra-side rather than Weegie-side as I get the feeling that in centre of Edinbugh I am closer to 'all year' golf than I am in the centre of Glasgow

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I spent a bit of time yesterday afternoon doing a bit of digging around and I thought stirring up something that was put to bed a while ago. But it became quite obvious during a conversation I had that nothing had actually happened. So guess what? I'm having a meeting today with a rep from The Canals and Rivers Trust and we are going to walk along the Canal Feeder that runs parallel to our golf course. I will be showing him the mess the leak (for that's what it is there is no doubt in my mind) has done and will continue to do to the golf course if nothing is done to stop it. I will take a lot of convincing that it is anything other than this that is causing the problem. It gonna be a fun and interesting day.
I will report back. Fingers crossed.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I did quite recently get an Email from the secretary of Archerfield offering me some sort of membership in which openings appear from time-to-time (I had previously been in touch). Unfortunately I had to decline as timescales were not consistent with any move north I might make. Of course the fact of the cost was...erm...also somewhat pertinent.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Similar dilemma, been at my current club for a long long time. Unfortunately we are toiling at best, membership very poor due to various things, course not in great nick, staff reduced to bare minimum, clubhouse only open 4 days a week and then only until 4pm. Great bunch of guys but now comps only attract 30 at best. Some nice courses nearby but feel that jumping ship could cause bigger problems for the club as this would involve several of us going.

I believe that your hand has now been forced and you will indeed be looking for a new course.

RIP Beith GC

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Mrs SILH is 'retiring' end of May next year and she wants us to go touring (South America) for a few months after that...

So that wipes out a move next year.

So probably 18months-2yrs...

Still looking Embra-side rather than Weegie-side as I get the feeling that in centre of Edinbugh I am closer to 'all year' golf than I am in the centre of Glasgow

South side of Glasgow open up all the Ayrshire links. Also allows for a proper chippy with salt'n'vinegar and not a chipper with salt'n'sauce!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Like a few I couldn't be happier with where I play. Course and facilities are superb. Staff are also absolutely brilliant. Won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I’ll be joining another course next year. No problem with my current one.
But thinking of going back to Wearside where I grew up as a junior. Played with a few pals from there recently and I’m really missing the banter we all use to have there.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a nice stroll with three blokes from the CR&T along the feeder yesterday and pointed out the puddles on the course as we walked along. I explained that this wasn't an excercise in blame it was to find out what was causing our problem, and the first point was the obvious, the feeder! We then we got to the main puddle. OMG is was massive! It's twice the size it was! They didn't think it was a problem with the feeder but have agreed to dam the feeder and then put it some dye. If it appears on the course in the puddles / swamp areas, then we will know. When this will happen they couldn't say but hopefully soon as they are not currently running water along the feeder, hence why they don't think it's coming from there. I kept asking "Well where then is this coming from it's not the just the sky as the whole course would be like this". Well at least something is in motion now. If it isn't sorted then I will leave, but I'm doing my damnedest to find out what the problem is.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
South side of Glasgow open up all the Ayrshire links. Also allows for a proper chippy with salt'n'vinegar and not a chipper with salt'n'sauce!

This is very true - but we'd live in the West End if we moved to Glasgow. I Google Mapped Dowanhill to Troon and that's 50 mins - which would be OK...I suppose.

But Mrs SILH reckons our friends from Surrey, Hamps, Berks and especially our London friends - are much more likely to visit us in Embra rather than Glasgow, and as much as a Glaswegian I might protest - I think she is correct. So if it is to be Scotland it will most probably be Embra. And it seems to me that the links coast of the Lothians is closer to Embra City Centre than the Ayrshire coast is to Glasgow West End.

I'm thinking that if we do move it might not be a 100% move - and we might keep a flat down where we are - in which case I'd probably take out a country membership of my current place rather than leave.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
someone is trying to convince me to join Royal Dornoch.

stumbling block is the inability to just rock up for a game because of the number of visitors during summer

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pretty sure now this month is my last. Seniors had the tee until 10am, it was then booked solid until 12.40. Went out just before 1 o clock, well over 2 hours for 9 holes waiting on every tee box, course starting to get pretty soggy in places and like a few other courses around our area some disease on the greens, a few of them quite severe. Trying to play as much away golf as possible until the frosts set in then that will be me until signs of spring i expect, hopefully by then we'll be down on the south coast and can find somewhere new :)

D

Deleted member 16999

Pretty sure now this month is my last. Seniors had the tee until 10am, it was then booked solid until 12.40. Went out just before 1 o clock, well over 2 hours for 9 holes waiting on every tee box, course starting to get pretty soggy in places and like a few other courses around our area some disease on the greens, a few of them quite severe. Trying to play as much away golf as possible until the frosts set in then that will be me until signs of spring i expect, hopefully by then we'll be down on the south coast and can find somewhere new :)
That’s not good, totally understand the frustration and yes, I would be looking for pastures new as well. Good luck :thup:

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very!!!
I like my club and course and I have a lot of friends there. I just don’t play or practice enough to justify membership. To get there of an evening I have to drive through a busy town (can take 30/45 minutes compared to about 20/25 usually). Warrington would be great, but same travel problems would apply.
Blundells Hill is only 15 minutes in any traffic from me, Mersey Valley about 10 and Fiddlers Ferry only £400 per year, but more of a driving range course about 10 also.
Emailed Blundells today. Says All 18 open (only 12 at ours) on their website and it’s supposed to drain well.
Decisions decisions decisions

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I left one of my clubs, just couldn't justify two memberships when I'm about to take on a much bigger mortgage. Trouble is no club round here really seems to tick all the boxes for me so it's always a compromise.

The new house is nearer to a different course as well so I'll be having a serious think about joining there in the future. Different set of trade offs though.

Well I have gone and done it and joined this place...

http://www.mortonhallgc.co.uk/

Sad to leave but was inevitable, I think, after we moved house. It's about 2 mins door to door so no excuses for lack of practice next year!

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Considering leaving my club at the end of the year. Only reason is lack of comps. Last year there was only about 16 comps at weekends and then 10 stablefords on tuesdays. I have done some research and found a few clubs around have about 35 comps on weekends throughout the season and midweek stablefords.

Like FairwayDodger, there are compromises for moving clubs, mainly the others have no practice areas at all, not even a putting green. And they are only 9 hole courses, i don't know if i really want to move from an 18 holer to a 9 holer. It's our agm on the 27th so thinking of going and finding out if there are plans for more comps.