Hotmelt - scotland

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

Does anyone know a good place to get a driver hotmelted in scotland (preferable east lothian/fife/edinburgh)?

Note that i dont want to try it myself - would like someone to do it who is used to the process.

Also, if i got fit for a driver by a manufacturer (ping/callaway etc) would they do it as part of the purchase?

Cheers

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Can I ask what you are trying to achieve with the 'hotmelt' process?

Some (probably most) Retail Drivers don't actually have a 'hotmelt port'. That's one of the advantages of acquiring a Tour head.

But I certainly agree that Scott Gourlay would be an excellent place to enquire.

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys. Will call Scott. Its for noise reduction. As a result of a serious illness in the past i have hearing issues which make most drivers sound extremely loud.

I have a nike flex driver which is pretty quiet but not forgiving. The only way i could use an m1 etc without earplugs is if i can make it quieter.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Can I ask what you are trying to achieve with the 'hotmelt' process?

Some (probably most) Retail Drivers don't actually have a 'hotmelt port'. That's one of the advantages of acquiring a Tour head.

But I certainly agree that Scott Gourlay would be an excellent place to enquire.

Not difficult to do without a port.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Er...How? I'm presuming a 'proper job', not simply smearing it over the outside. And not drilling a hole in the head to create a 'port' either!

I don't know about all drivers but certainly the current line of Ping drivers going back to the G25, you can remove the weight in the back of the head and this gives access to add hotmelt inside the head. That's how Scott did my swingweight adjustment when he chopped an inch off my G30 driver several years back.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't know about all drivers but certainly the current line of Ping drivers going back to the G25, you can remove the weight in the back of the head and this gives access to add hotmelt inside the head. That's how Scott did my swingweight adjustment when he chopped an inch off my G30 driver several years back.
So that's a 'port' then! Seems my n/a for Retail heads was a bit awry - at least for Ping ones.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Er...How? I'm presuming a 'proper job', not simply smearing it over the outside. And not drilling a hole in the head to create a 'port' either!

Remove the shaft, drill a small port at bottom of hosel, cap it and replace the shaft.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Remove the shaft, drill a small port at bottom of hosel, cap it and replace the shaft.

So that DOES involve drilling a hole in the head - albeit via the hozel! Presumably, there's an 'add hot melt' process in there too! A bit tricky, though not impossible, for glued-in shafts though!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
So that DOES involve drilling a hole in the head - albeit via the hozel! Presumably, there's an 'add hot melt' process in there too! A bit tricky, though not impossible, for glued-in shafts though!

Not tricky at all.

It's a straightforward pull and reshaft with the added hotmelt process. Not for the amateur club DIY'r. However not sure how many "tinkerers" would be skilled enough to attempt hot melt in the first place!

It's quite a tricky process getting it in the correct position, and correct weight.

For accustics you could try using yarn or cotton balls to dull/mute the sound that is easier.