Home comps when no chance of winning

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Just a simple question really.

I never expected the outrage from a few and I never said they should not enter.

TBH Jim, I originally wondered if it was even you that posted the question. It seemed out of character, and just goes to show how the written word can be misinterpreted. What is it they say, 80% of a message comes from intonation and body language.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you enter pairs comps on your home course even if you know your pairing would have no chance of winning?

I was helping two higher handicaps players to enter a comp yesterday both of whom I had just partnered in a team comp.

My thoughts were " why are you bothering you, you clearly have no chance of getting anywhere near the prizes."

I have never won a strokeplay competition but come reasonably close a few times. This wouldn't put me off entering, assuming it wasn't for elite or single figure handicaps but they were still accepting higher players with a max handicap allowance on the day.

I guess if you were just looking for a game, you might consider other options if you could play away with friends or play in an open at an away course.

But I play because I enjoy playing and get great satisfaction from hitting good shots and trying to play under my handicap.

Also usually most good competitions will have prizes for nearest the pin / straightest drive. Don't bother with the longest drive, although I'm not short, my best hit won't trouble this category.

Plus if you are a higher handicapper, who is to say you won't get everything going and hole a few putts and post a great score.