Holidays in the UK 2022

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Falmouth for me and my family this year! I love going down to Cornwall but not been since my late teens so I'm really looking forward to it.

We hire a house and go with my wifes side of the family (Sister, BIL, Niece, F&M IL) and split the costs between us.

Must admit - it really isnt that cheap, but I really cant think of anything worse than travelling abroad with a baby myself! We're saving for a trip to California in 2024 :love:

Both ours were well under 1 the first time we took them abroad. It’s really not that much trouble. Apart from during the pandemic, we’ve been abroad every year with them. It’s actually harder once they get to 5 or 6 than when they are babies.

The thought of going on holiday and sharing a house and my time with a load of families members is horrible.

We’ve got a wedding to attend abroad later this year. Thankfully we’re in a different hotel to most of the others.

But, each to their own. Life would be boring if we all liked the same things.

Not as boring as visiting 8000 churches though!

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
There's more to the World than just the UK. I've also visited a lot of countries like you, I've had positive experiences in almost all of them.
Either you've been really unlucky, or travelling just isn't for you.
Vast majority of foreign destinations are shallow.
You see the sights then find there is nothing much else.
Britain is multi layered. Your experiences increase.
Many people have told me that when they went to sunny Spain it was either too hot to go outside, it was raining or they couldn't get on a train because all seats were taken. That was my experience too.

When you go to a place for the first time you see only the good things.
Go there again and you start to notice the bad. Like the pile of decaying garbage or the sewage.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Many people have told me that when they went to sunny Spain it was either too hot to go outside, it was raining or they couldn't get on a train because all seats were taken. That was my experience too.

Go there again and you start to notice the bad. Like the pile of decaying garbage or the sewage.

Have you ever been on a train into a UK city? Because the bits in bold will be familiar if you have.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Point I make is that foreign is not always better.
Have you for instance:
Played the 2500 golf courses in Britain?
Visited the 3000 stately homes?
Visited the 4000 castles?
Seen the 8000 medieval churches and cathedrals?
Seen all the ancient sites like Stonehenge and Avebury?
Visited all the national parks?
Walked all the long distance paths?
Climbed the thousansds of hills and mountains?
Explored all the river valleys?

The list goes on forever.
As Bill Bryson says in his More Notes From A Small Island, Britain is not only the biggest park in the world, it's infinite.

Our rubbish climate allows for one of the greenest countries in the world.
But no - abroad is best for most peiople here.
I can assure you it ain't.

To answer your first array of questions, no, I haven’t. And if I lived to be 200 I wouldn’t. But I see absolutely no reason why that prevents me from experiencing what other countries have to offer.

FWIW, one of the primary reasons me and my wife have chosen to go abroad for our holidays for most of the last 20 years is our need to balance our own quest for rest and relaxation with the requirement to keep two children entertained. When it’s throwing it down and struggling to get above March temperatures in July, as it has been several times when we have holidayed in the UK, it has been anything other than restful trying to find ways of keeping youngsters occupied.

There is no right or wrong to this discussion, and your poorly veiled insinuations that those of us who holiday abroad are in some way shallow and lacking in imagination do you no credit whatsoever. Perhaps you’d do well to acknowledge that others are entitled to an opinion on this subject, rather than ramming yours down our throats as the only one at every opportunity.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Have you for instance:

As Bill Bryson says in his More Notes From A Small Island, Britain is not only the biggest park in the world, it's infinite.

Your “assurance” is your opinion, that’s all.

Why did we move to Spain? The weather, but your February is our August, the cost of living, the many castles etc that we can visit for pennies, the amazing food for pennies - lunch was €1.50 for a glass of wine and tapas. Within a couple of miles we have the Sierra Cabreras, and we’re 1.5 hours from skiing in the Sierra Nevada and being on the beach an hour later.

Have I done all the things on your list? No, but who has. Would I like a week in the Lakes? Lived there for a couple of years, so it’s a no. Would I fancy a week in London? Love the place but it’s a no, done it to death. How about Chatsworth House? Choice between there and The Alhambra in Granada… we did The Alhambra in October, for the 4th time - 5 hours and still didn’t see it all.

No doubt many will agree with you, but many won’t.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you for instance:

Planning on doing all.of those in my caravan with my caravan friends ?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
We're saving for a trip to California in 2024 :love:

We just got back from 10 days in Cali. I am lucky that my Brother in law lives just north of San Diego, so we stayed with them for 5 nights, but the whole place is amazing. We did san diego, the zoo, Disney, Universal studios, Hollywood, Beverley Hills, LA downtown the lot. It was amazing. That was with 4 kids! Get Saving now, then save some more. The US is no longer a cheap place to eat out etc! Even burger and chips was about 100quid for 6 (Not in Disney!)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
We just got back from 10 days in Cali. I am lucky that my Brother in law lives just north of San Diego, so we stayed with them for 5 nights, but the whole place is amazing. We did san diego, the zoo, Disney, Universal studios, Hollywood, Beverley Hills, LA downtown the lot. It was amazing. That was with 4 kids! Get Saving now, then save some more. The US is no longer a cheap place to eat out etc! Even burger and chips was about 100quid for 6 (Not in Disney!)

We went and stayed with friends on our honeymoon - just love it out there! But you are right, cost of meals in the US is insane!

Fortunately I love the junk foods often avaliable in food courts or food vans at much cheaper prices and without the additional cost of tips! :ROFLMAO:

Billysboots

Visit site
Your “assurance” is your opinion, that’s all.

Why did we move to Spain? The weather, but your February is our August, the cost of living, the many castles etc that we can visit for pennies, the amazing food for pennies - lunch was €1.50 for a glass of wine and tapas. Within a couple of miles we have the Sierra Cabreras, and we’re 1.5 hours from skiing in the Sierra Nevada and being on the beach an hour later.

Have I done all the things on your list? No, but who has. Would I like a week in the Lakes? Lived there for a couple of years, so it’s a no. Would I fancy a week in London? Love the place but it’s a no, done it to death. How about Chatsworth House? Choice between there and The Alhambra in Granada… we did The Alhambra in October, for the 4th time - 5 hours and still didn’t see it all.

No doubt many will agree with you, but many won’t.

The irony, Brian, is that the poster claims to have visited over 50 countries, and yet is seizing each and every opportunity to tell the rest of us that foreign travel is for those who like kiss me quick hats and candy floss. It’s laughable, really.

Reactions: SyR

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The irony, Brian, is that the poster claims to have visited over 50 countries, and yet is seizing each and every opportunity to tell the rest of us that foreign travel is for those who like kiss me quick hats and candy floss. It’s laughable, really.

He posts of a country I don’t know. I’m sure he’s twinned with Victor Meldew.

Billysboots

Visit site
He posts of a country I don’t know. I’m sure he’s twinned with Victor Meldew.

We were in Spain last week. A beautiful country, with friendly hosts, wonderful food at reasonable prices, and a rich culture. Sure, there are tacky tourist traps, but the UK can hardly be excused on that front, as anyone who has been within a mile of Paignton will gladly attest to. The same goes for countless other places.

Methinks the poster is bored, and trying to entertain himself.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Nonsense. Are you suggesting that places like Rome, Florence, Brussels, Paris etc are shallow.
Amazing history, architecture and culture to explore.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Nonsense. Are you suggesting that places like Rome, Florence, Brussels, Paris etc are shallow.
Amazing history, architecture and culture to explore.
As I've done them all what others can you mention?
They are strong on museums it's true but they don't have the diversity of London.

Kuala Lumpur: Once you've seen the Petronas Towers and the Batu caves there isn't a great deal left.
Singapore: Once you've been on the Night Safari and Sentosa, there's not much left.
Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane, Auckland, San Francisco.... you tell me. I didn't stay long.

It's no wonder Brits fell for the siesta lifestyle of a place like Spain.
The locals weren't getting up at 6am to travel to the factory in the rain.
They were breakfasting on the patio, taking a long rest in the afternoon before drinking outside until 3am.
Property prices were cheap enough for a second home.

But always a price to be paid. The water could be turned off in the afternoon to give the golf courses a drink.
It could be too hot to go out.
The locals might not be so friendly deep down.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
As I've done them all what others can you mention?
They are strong on museums it's true but they don't have the diversity of London.

Kuala Lumpur: Once you've seen the Petronas Towers and the Batu caves there isn't a great deal left.
Singapore: Once you've been on the Night Safari and Sentosa, there's not much left.
Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane, Auckland, San Francisco.... you tell me. I didn't stay long.

It's no wonder Brits fell for the siesta lifestyle of a place like Spain.
The locals weren't getting up at 6am to travel to the factory in the rain.
They were breakfasting on the patio, taking a long rest in the afternoon before drinking outside until 3am.
Property prices were cheap enough for a second home.

But always a price to be paid. The water could be turned off in the afternoon to give the golf courses a drink.
It could be too hot to go out.
The locals might not be so friendly deep down.

Ok I’ll bite.

Many businesses don’t open till at least 9 and close at 2…but then open at 4:30/5:00 till 8pm.

Property prices are, in the main, ridiculously cheap and buy so much more - if you’re happy to pay for an inferior product, crack on.

In the 6 years we’ve had a place here we’ve ‘lost’ water 4 times for, at max, 3 hours. We keep 2 8ltr bottles of water in the bathroom and only needed to use 1 twice.

And in August you will want to be out of the sun but in Nov through to May in the U.K. you may also find sitting outside uncomfortable.

As for unfriendly locals, 1 person in 6 years ‘v’ a multitude that actively seek your company.

However, I do applaud your ability to prove your ignorance so succinctly.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok I’ll bite.

Many businesses don’t open till at least 9 and close at 2…but then open at 4:30/5:00 till 8pm.

Property prices are, in the main, ridiculously cheap and buy so much more - if you’re happy to pay for an inferior product, crack on.

In the 6 years we’ve had a place here we’ve ‘lost’ water 4 times for, at max, 3 hours. We keep 2 8ltr bottles of water in the bathroom and only needed to use 1 twice.

And in August you will want to be out of the sun but in Nov through to May in the U.K. you may also find sitting outside uncomfortable.

As for unfriendly locals, 1 person in 6 years ‘v’ a multitude that actively seek your company.

However, I do applaud your ability to prove your ignorance so succinctly.

I admire you living in Spain, I love the idea of it but alas I'm too much of a homing pigeon for that

The lifestyle sounds amazing

What's golf membership like?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I admire you living in Spain, I love the idea of it but alas I'm too much of a homing pigeon for that

The lifestyle sounds amazing

What's golf membership like?

Golf is expensive if you look to be a member of one club. €200 a month sees you play four different courses. However €160,000 will buy you a 3 bed detached villa with a pool, leaving plenty for the golf.