Hole in One or Not

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Hole in one

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 15344

For you it is, yeah. Exactly the same deal, you stepped up and hit a ball from the tee into the hole in one shot. Hole in one.

We play this game for a laugh, I ain't quibbling over semantics. I'm also not going to pee on someone's chips by being all "ooo technically I'm afraid it's not a hole in one blah blah". Bore off. ?
“Bore off” ? are you still in school

??

What do you put on scorecard ???

“In golf, a hole in one or hole-in-one (also known as an ace, mostly in American English) occurs when a ball hit from a tee to start a hole finishes in the cup. A ball hit from a tee following a lost ball, out-of-bounds, or water hazard is not a hole-in-one due to the application of a stroke penalty.”

Would your club golf insurance pay out for it ?‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 31467

The original twitter poll has 61.1% yes, 23.4% no and 15.4% 'other'

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'm a bit undecided but I think unless I was trying to claim some kind of HIO prize I'd give it to myself as an ace (because really it matters not a jot what anyone else thinks)

I've never heard a conversation where some ones said they have a hole in one and then someone else has questioned the validity by asking about the format, asked to see the scorecard or asked if it was social/comp etc... no one really cares

Interesting how many folks introduced the viewpoint of 'what's written on the scorecard' :unsure: Does that mean a holed single shot on a par 3 with no card in hand isn't a hole in one?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
At the end of the day, Foursomes is not an individual format..it's a team game..
The hole was started, a penalty shot added and then the ball went in the hole...
Only CR7 would claim it as an Ace......

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
He did not play the first stroke.
He played the second stroke and this was after a penalty stroke for out of bounds.
The chance for a hole-in-one was for the player who played the first stroke.
There was no opportunity for the second player to score a hole-in-one.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would count it as a personal HIO and would buy the drinks - but people would have to share 1 drink between 2 ?
And no drinks for those pedants who say it wasn’t an ace

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well…if the one I got when out myself one evening for a few holes, that no one other than me and my maker saw, doesn‘t count…though the one I got a few weeks ago on a temp 49yd hole played from a temp tee to a temp green maybe does…?

No idea about our ‘playing 3‘ hole-in-1 friend, though I think I’d be viewing it as ‘holed in 1 for a 3’, but not a HI1.

Last edited:

NeilV

Visit site
I've pull hooked a pitching wedge into the trees on a short par 3 and then holed the provisional for par. I don't count it as a hole in one.

Fair to say I didn't look as hard for the original ball as my playing partners did.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does that mean a holed single shot on a par 3 with no card in hand isn't a hole in one?

Masterscoreboard - and probably others such as Howdidido and IG - has a feature which shows who has had a HIO. If it doesn't feature there, it's not a HIO. Boss never awarded a HIO watch to someone playing a solo round.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Masterscoreboard - and probably others such as Howdidido and IG - has a feature which shows who has had a HIO. If it doesn't feature there, it's not a HIO. Boss never awarded a HIO watch to someone playing a solo round.

I can imagine... it kinda follows then if you're just out with a mate or two for a social game, no scorecard, gimmies inside the grip maybe even a mulligan on the 1st... then you hole your first tee shot on the final par 3 of the day, is that really a hole in one :unsure:

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm a bit undecided but I think unless I was trying to claim some kind of HIO prize I'd give it to myself as an ace (because really it matters not a jot what anyone else thinks)

I've never heard a conversation where some ones said they have a hole in one and then someone else has questioned the validity by asking about the format, asked to see the scorecard or asked if it was social/comp etc... no one really cares

Interesting how many folks introduced the viewpoint of 'what's written on the scorecard':unsure: Does that mean a holed single shot on a par 3 with no card in hand isn't a hole in one?

“Written on a scorecard” is more a metaphor for what score would you record for that hole - whether that’s in your head on a phone on a scorecard

So as it’s foursomes -the score for that hole is 3

I’m surprised within a golf forum that people would claim it as a hole in one

A hole in one is getting a ball in the hole in one shot from the start of the hole , not after another shot and a penalty shot

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've pull hooked a pitching wedge into the trees on a short par 3 and then holed the provisional for par. I don't count it as a hole in one.

Fair to say I didn't look as hard for the original ball as my playing partners did.
Of course you don't, because you hit two balls. :rolleyes: Why do people keep saying this like it's the same? It's not.

Albo

Visit site
For me this is a HIO for him personally, but not for the team in the comp.
He hit the ball from the tee into the hole on his first shot on that hole. It’s a HIO, just won’t go down on their score card as one.
As for HIO only counting if it’s recorded on some sort of app or website or only when there is a card in hand??
A HIO is a HIO, it’s defined by teeing off from level with or up to 2 club lengths behind the markers, on a measured golf hole with your first shot on that hole, to a real green with a regulation sized golf hole. It’s the same if you’re playing the Open as it is if your round solo after work knocking a few balls around for practice.