Hole in One or Not

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Hole in one

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 31467

“Written on a scorecard” is more a metaphor for what score would you record for that hole - whether that’s in your head on a phone on a scorecard

So as it’s foursomes -the score for that hole is 3

I’m surprised within a golf forum that people would claim it as a hole in one

A hole in one is getting a ball in the hole in one shot from the start of the hole , not after another shot and a penalty shot
You seem to be a stickler for following definitions. How many of you HIO's were knocking around on your own or with mates and not recorded on a scorecard etc? Maybe you haven't had as many as you claim ?

evemccc

Visit site
“Bore off” ? are you still in school

??

What do you put on scorecard ???

“In golf, a hole in one or hole-in-one (also known as an ace, mostly in American English) occurs when a ball hit from a tee to start a hole finishes in the cup. A ball hit from a tee following a lost ball, out-of-bounds, or water hazard is not a hole-in-one due to the application of a stroke penalty.”

Would your club golf insurance pay out for it ?‍♂️

There are times on this forum that I see that the somewhat less-than- complimentary stereotype that golfers sometimes have is well-justified

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Written on a scorecard” is more a metaphor for what score would you record for that hole - whether that’s in your head on a phone on a scorecard

A hole in one is getting a ball in the hole in one shot from the start of the hole , not after another shot and a penalty shot

So holing out on a par 3 in one shot with no card in hand (i.e any round not in a comp or qualifying) must be a metaphorical hole in one :sneaky:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair enough, still way more then enough for my point to stand. That there are still so many no's means you can't really take it seriously.
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a strong correlation in the answers... those who have had hole-in-ones saying no, those who have never had one saying "hell yes I'd count it". :LOL:

D

Deleted member 15344

You seem to be a stickler for following definitions. How many of you HIO's were knocking around on your own or with mates and not recorded on a scorecard etc? Maybe you haven't had as many as you claim ?

Every hole in one I have had was put onto a scorecard either in a comp , a swindle or a social round or a match ?‍♂️

But as I said it doesn’t need to be down on a scorecard - it’s whatever the score you have for that hole , it can be on your head if you so wish

So holing out on a par 3 in one shot with no card in hand (i.e any round not in a comp or qualifying) must be a metaphorical hole in one :sneaky:

Depends on the format you are playing surely ?‍♂️

If you’re playing foursomes with your mate and he has the first shot and you need to hit “3 off the tee” then it’s the 3rd shot ?‍♂️

I guess it also depends if you haven’t had one yet and are desperate enough to claim it but I don’t expect anyone to take it seriously

An insurance company wouldn’t pay out , nor would the club

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure why people are hung up on whether a club or insurance company would pay out. That doesn't change that one shot and in the hole for the INDIVIDUAL and if they want to claim it I certainly wouldn't demean them for doing so

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
In foursomes you are playing as a single using one ball but two people hitting alternate- so in this scenario the shot isn’t the first shot on that hole so how can it a hole in one - the scorecard will verify how that hole was scored by that alternate shot team - in this case = 3 , the ball was hit twice plus one penalty shot makes 3

In scenario the second player is hitting “3 of the tee”

I got to wondering about this... does that mean if the first boy had holed his tee shot... both players can forever claim they have got a hole in one!
;)

Pin-seeker

Visit site
“Written on a scorecard” is more a metaphor for what score would you record for that hole - whether that’s in your head on a phone on a scorecard

Don’t let it bother you too much Phil.
Just difference of opinion ??

D

Deleted member 15344

I got to wondering about this... does that mean if the first boy had holed his tee shot... both players can forever claim they have got a hole in one!
;)

I guess the same people that want to claim the third shot on the hole as a hole in one could look to claim it ??

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Let’s say I stood on the tee and duffed my teeshot forward one inch. I then hit my second shot and hole it, for a two. I’d be delirious but it’s not a hole in one. Despite being essentially identical stroke and distance.

So in foursomes if my partner duffed their shot forward one inch. I then hit my first shot and hole it, I’d again be delirious but it’s a two.

At no point is it ever a hole in one and it’s no different to playing the third shot if my partner goes out of bounds with their first.

Anyway. This is all missing the wider point that alternate shot golf is rubbish to begin with.