Hitting my Wedges longer, too Long

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Recently ive used a new swing for my wedges and finallly the bad shots the bad contacts are gone
but i have a problem now where i seem to be hitting my wedges so much further
I used to be able to know when to get out my Sw or Pw
I was on my local course today and from a certain point on a hole i knew it is 70 yards to the middle of the green, i pulled out my 62 degree wedge . i know a full swing will get me there ive done a million times

Used my new swing for my wedge caught the ball perfectly and it flys 20 yards over the back of the green

I was hitting my PW 135 yards i dont know if thats long, but im struggling now with judgement of distances, i cant afford a range finger or gps

Any tips on how to judge distances?????

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Go to a practice ground and hit your 7i work the gaps from thier in 10yard incraments and you won't be far away.If you have a smart phone download a free golf gps app and use it out on the course on a practice round.

Captain_Black

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Your doing well hitting a PW 135 yards, that distance is a 8 iron for me.
I hit my PW 100 yards & my SW 80 yards.
As already said, if you have a smartphone use an app like Freecaddie to work out your club distances.

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Go to a practice ground and hit your 7i work the gaps from thier in 10yard incraments and you won't be far away.If you have a smart phone download a free golf gps app and use it out on the course on a practice round.
Thanks but is there any way else with no tech to judge distances?

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hit the shots and pace them out and write the answers on paper using a pen!
Aye - the old fashioned way is to hit 20 balls, discount the 5 longest and 5 shortest. that leaves 10 and all should be lying about the same distance away from you. Then count your paces or use distance markers on the practice ground!

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was on my local course today and from a certain point on a hole i knew it is 70 yards to the middle of the green, i pulled out my 62 degree wedge . i know a full swing will get me there ive done a million times

Used my new swing for my wedge caught the ball perfectly and it flys 20 yards over the back of the green

70 yards to go ( middle of green ) and flying it 20 yards over the back of the green..........that, to me, is a BIG BIG HIT with a 62 degrees Wedge ( Must be around 100-110 Yards.....!!!! )

I personally could NOT hit a 62deg wedge that far, it goes way too high to go that far forward

Ive a 60 degrees Lob Wedge, but I only use that from 50-60yds and inwards
I wouldnt try and hit it any further, as it would require a Hard swing, and prefer a smooth swing with this club, it only has 1 shot, big high pitch, land, and stop
Has the flight of the Ball changed with your new swing.......??
Just wondering if your distance gains are due to a slightly 'hooded' face at impact and sending the ball off much Lower......??

Best way to judge distances, without range finder or GPS, go to the club practice area, place clubs down at teeing area, stride out .... say 70yds, 100yds, 130yds, and place something down on the ground, towel, brolly....... hit your practice shots with various clubs, then pace out to your balls from the markers, cheapest and easiest way, but NOT the most precise accurate way

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Buy a measuring wheel thingy off the net. I got one for £15. Granted in metres but easy to convert. Works wonders for me

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you're hitting a 62* that far by keeping the leading edge down (I take it your vokey at that loft has 7* bounce?) you're effectivley delofting it to 55*!
its possible but when i de loft it alittle or when i dont deloft at all to get height theres not a huge difference in distance

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Mostly medium id say

If you had the ball way back in your stance or you were de-lofting it a lot. you would have hooooj divots.
I can only assume you are swinging very fast to hit your wedges that far.
I would suggest you practice some half swings and learn the finesse shot.