Hitting Iron Shots Fat(VERY!!!)

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played this afternoon in lovely conditions no wind or rain and was absolutely rubbish in all departments. I managed a 92 somehow which is about 8-10 shots worse than what I normally shoot. I was hitting a lot of Iron shots Fat was 1 thing I noticed. Not got another lesson for a fortnight anybody any tips or advice?

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe your hanging back on your right foot at impact or ball positioned a bit too far forward in your stance or coming down into the ball a bit too steeply. thats all i can think of hope this helps.

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been suffering exactly the same in recent weeks, but I discovered that if I play the ball very slightly further back in my stance, when the ground is so wet, I'm able to hit the ball much cleaner off the turf.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
..... or coming down into the ball a bit too steeply

I spent some time this afternoon with a teaching pro comparing some swings he's video'd. Not only did we watch some "interesting swings" but we also watched some of *him* hitting the ball. The man played off +2 or so and still knocks it round under par now and again. He hits the ball as steep as anyone I've ever seen on video. He gets the same launch on his 7 iron as I do with my 5 wood....... :) :D :D

Why is everyone so worried about getting steep.....I'd pay good money to get this in my game......

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Too steeply not a terrible problem but you do need to have a consistent ball position for each club. As if you have ball too far forward youll catch ground too early and if you have ball too far back youll lose distance due to the massive divot youll create.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the opinions on here. I haved checked out this website : http://golf.about.com/od/golftips/ss/mishit_tips.htm

and the section where it says - Your weight might be too far to the right and/or your right shoulder might be too low at address. The part where it mentions about the shoulder being to low at adress is definitely something I have been doing as I have just checked my setup. There is lots of other tips on there as well if they are any use to anyone

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Too steeply not a terrible problem but you do need to have a consistent ball position for each club. As if you have ball too far forward you'll catch ground too early and if you have ball too far back youll lose distance due to the massive divot you'll create.

True.....

Maybe some stack and tilt practice or feet-together drills or even swinging on the left foot only with the right foot trailing.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2FnfZlRwak&feature=channel

I did this solidly for 2 weeks and played with a near perfect "bottoming out" for a while......

Some of this chap's drills are superb....

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ive been doing the stack and tilt swing for about 2 weeks now and find the irons are getting pured on almost every shot(bad shot push) but if you struggle with your driving stay away from it as its really difficult to get used to unless you practice a lot. Just stick to that drill if its working for you and youll soon get some confidence back and start burning the course up.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ive been doing the stack and tilt swing for about 2 weeks now and find the irons are getting pured on almost every shot(bad shot push) but if you struggle with your driving stay away from it as its really difficult to get used to unless you practice a lot. Just stick to that drill if its working for you and youll soon get some confidence back and start burning the course up.

Now, that's in interesting discovery. I managed to almost get rid of any weight shift and was hitting irons quite brilliantly for a while. However, my driving went from bad to worse.

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah i know what you mean my irons are brilliant but driving has got worse but im sticking with it and hopefully over time get used to it and hit my driver even better than before.Maybe time for a new driver. :)

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do this occassionally and it's caused by one of two things - either you're bottling out of the shot (something I'm guilty of) or your weight distribution is wrong. Your weight is staying on the right side. Are you trying to 'lift' the ball off the turf (another thing I'm guilty of)? Commit to the shot and concentrate on a good, clean strike.

If I'd wide of the mark - apologies. :eek:

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow I have started something here!!! I think I am commiting to the shots. Totally take on board too much weight on the right side as I mentioned in a previous post. My main problem used to be a reverse pivot eg weight on left foot and overswing which I cured after many hours of sweat and tears, appears the fault has gone to my right side today :)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Maybe some stack and tilt practice

Despite using both the words STACK and TILT in his video, Shawn Clement does not teach stack and tilt.

Stack and tilt is staying stacked over your left side during the swing whilst trying to maintain your spine VERTICAL. In order to achieve a vertical spine (it's natural for your spine to tilt AWAY from the target as you rotate) you have to purposely tilt your spine more upright, hence 'stack and tilt'.

Just staying more stacked over your left side isn't stack and tilt, tilting away from the target isn't stack and tilt.
If you watch Shawn Clements swing you can see that his spine is not vertical...more leaning away from the target... in fact here's a vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI3i936JRd0 Whilst he uses the word TILT a lot in the vid and looks somewhat STACKED over his left side it has nothing to do with stack and tilt.... if anything it looks pretty much like a reverse-K setup.

Just thought I'd clear that up :)

That said,.. both feet together and left leg only drills are excellent though, and his video's are great as they really make you understand what he is saying and how the swing mechanics work. Thoroughly recommended.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe some stack and tilt practice

Despite using both the words STACK and TILT in his video, Shawn Clement does not teach stack and tilt.

Stack and tilt is staying stacked over your left side during the swing whilst trying to maintain your spine VERTICAL. In order to achieve a vertical spine (it's natural for your spine to tilt AWAY from the target as you rotate) you have to purposely tilt your spine more upright, hence 'stack and tilt'.

Just staying more stacked over your left side isn't stack and tilt, tilting away from the target isn't stack and tilt.
If you watch Shawn Clements swing you can see that his spine is not vertical...more leaning away from the target... in fact here's a vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI3i936JRd0 Whilst he uses the word TILT a lot in the vid and looks somewhat STACKED over his left side it has nothing to do with stack and tilt.... if anything it looks pretty much like a reverse-K setup.

Just thought I'd clear that up :)

That said,.. both feet together and left leg only drills are excellent though, and his video's are great as they really make you understand what he is saying and how the swing mechanics work. Thoroughly recommended.

Thanks for this. I hadn't considered S.C. as a stack and tilt man and wasn't trying to suggest so, but I do believe some of his ideas are super-helpful (if that's a word?!) to anyone getting out of hand with swaying and general over the top lateral movement.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was enjoying this thread but it's gone all quiet.

Has the mysterious subject of stack and tilt sent everyone packing. I'm keen to learn more.........(since it's not something I really follow)

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was enjoying this thread but it's gone all quiet.

Has the mysterious subject of stack and tilt sent everyone packing. I'm keen to learn more.........(since it's not something I really follow)

What do you want to know? im not an expert or anything but i could try and answer your questions or if you prefer learning by video type in Stack N Tilt on Youtube and gives you hundreds of choices.