hinge and hold

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Now, that last bit sounds like a very familiar line!!??

Hmmm, now where have I heard that before (daily!)?? ;)

You know what they say mate.
"If you hear it enough times,you will start to believe it".

I have been using this method for the last 6 weeks,after lots of practice,it does
work.
I have found I duff chips less and get a better contact.
However which way you choose to chip,practice is the key to success.
As long as I don't start grinning from ear to ear for no apparent reason[like Phil does]
I will be happy.
Perhaps he does it because hes happy,i never thought of that.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Re: linear / using bounce (sorry for hijack)

Do you ever suffer from thinning?

Not really.

If you're hitting the ball so fat that the club has time to bounce half way up the ball, no technique will help.

The idea is that if you catch it fractionally heavy, the boune offers a little something in the way of forgiveness, where as if the hands are well forward, the leading edge would dig in (... Zero forgiveness)

dontfancythisputt

Club Champion
Visit site
Interesting post as I have recently gone through the H+H method and then back again to something more traditional.

At the start of last season I couldn’t chip on to a green for love nor money, getting it close was the thing of dreams.
The hinge and hold method worked wonders in restoring confidence but I noticed over a period of 2-3 months that although my chipping had improved I was never really getting a makeable 1 putt chance.

A lesson followed and my pro took me back to traditional method. His view was that for handicap golfers, playing on far from perfect courses the traditional method gave a far more reliable result, he didn’t rule H+H out completely however.

I have now got the traditional technique going and have a lot more feel for where I’m going to land the ball and the result is more 1 putts (even a few 0 putts). – It works for me.

I still find the H+H method works best for me when I have a bad lie or I need spin to reduce the roll out but 9 times out of ten I use the traditional chipping method.

As others have said I believe that the H+H method relies a lot on the consistency of the strike to build a judgement on spin and roll out and I just didn’t hit it consistently enough.

Interestingly the GM mag hasn’t yet picked a method and stuck with it as I have seen both methods featured frequently in the instruction section over the last 18months or so.

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was looking at and trying the "new way" of chipping suggested in this mag recently.... where the ball position and club head sits in more central/neutral position using the loft and bounce more rather than the hands being forward..... I cant get it going constantly especially in thicker rough and keep thinning the bloody thing personally or flicking my hands at it. My short game is poor but I can putt ok so I need to work on it with a certain style if Im going to get down this year so watch Phil in that video it does make sense to me and im going to work on that method again I think.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
And as if by magic Homer appeared....

Chipping refresher yesterday as part of the short game evaluation at Pachesham. Talked more about the wrist position at address and at impact. I was cupping mine slightly at impact so the shaft wasn't back in the upright or slightly forward linear position. Some work to do and a drill to work on. Going to take a while to get confident but at least I have faith in the technique. A step forward. Looking forward to seeing the HCM-1 in full flow

standrew

Head Pro
Visit site
I came on to discuss this actually. I generally use linear technique for consistency. I found two things that helped immensely, I need to clear my body and pivot with good timing, and have a very weak grip to get simplified striking with consistency.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really.

If you're hitting the ball so fat that the club has time to bounce half way up the ball, no technique will help.

Good point. And if I'm right in the linear motion, you use a pivot rather than just all arms?

What if you do the same thing with a 7 iron?

Or a 4 iron?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Re: linear / using bounce (sorry for hijack)

Do you ever suffer from thinning?

Not overly Dave, but if I do, the ball doesn't scull like it used to with hands forward, it may go a little long but isn't, for me, such a bad shot that it used to be. Also, and the best bit is, if I ground the club short of the ball it slides into the ball and still goes acceptably well, whereas a hands forward swing just dug a divot and the ball goes nowhere.

Using the club bounce really seems the way forward and I see most pros playing a form of the shot these days. For utube just type " pitching using club bounce" and pick any videos.

Good luck mate!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like the linear method for chips just off the green. I also like to play Hinge and Hold but more for Pitch and Lob shots, it gets the ball nicely into the air where you want a high trajectory. when you H&H its important to make sure you make a proper shoulder turn and not just lift the arms. If you do the latter you will be subject to fats, thins and shermans.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I started using it after seeing it mentioned on here a few months back.

Really like it and find it much more natural.

I also think that i bite into the ball better, which is nice.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
how are people controlling trajectory if they always present the full loft of the club using the bounce?

The idea is, as I understand it, the same as any other chip. You want to take the ball first then brush the turf.

The bounce is a 'fail safe' for when the strike is less than perfect.

I'm not sure how much trajectory control you need on a chip as the ball is only going to be in the air for a very short time. Is rather worry about the amount of roll, which I vary through club selection.

If your talking the linear method for a short pitch then that's a little different.

When making a short pitch, I play the ball up inside my left heel. Similar to a driver ball position, but with a much narrower stance. Weight is forward as usual but there is very little forward shaft lean at address. Then make a swing keeping your weight on your lead foot.

I find I make better contact with the ball forward with little shaft lean than I do with the ball cente stance with the club leaning excessively forward and if I do get it slightly wrong, I've got the safety net of the clubs bounce to help me out.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
maybe ill try using the bounce a little more with my weight forward. i've read and see countless videos about having neutral weight and the shaft basically neutral through impact.

common teaching when chipping is getting the ball on the putting surface asap. I am not a big fan of this. I would much rather chip it that but further to the hole and judge the run out from there. this takes a lot of the green breaks out and also I don't have to worry about judging the pace of the greens as much.

I find it much easier to throw a ball say 4/5s of the way to the hole rather than play what is essentially a very long lag putt using a wedge or lower club from off the green. lag putting is hard enough with a putter never mind an 8iron.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

I have no idea what method I use - just swing and hit it but change the length of back swing dependant on distance.