Hillman Laser Range Finder TM-800

munro007

Tour Rookie
www.craigmillarpark.co.uk
Re: Hillman Laser RAnge Finder TM-800

Well i used my TM1500 today for the first time today. And its a great piece of kit. It does everything i want it to do. Thx again for the review......

A

Alex1975

I got mine today and am actualy stunned by how good this is. I have not used it in anger yet so will update when I have but I am very impressed so far!!!

Nice one for the review, I perchased it on the back of it.

A

Alex1975

I used it today and it was really really good. I must not follow it blindly though, I obviously locked the trees behind the green at 190 so I smashed a hybrid at them, flew the green and hit the trees at 190, great shot! I think the flag was about 170....

It was the only error I made, a locked ever other flag easily.

Love the thing!

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site

I nearly got one but have allocated funds to lessons and a slow mo camera. This is on my list though once my game comes together a bit more.

How steady do you have to be also does anyone that owns one wear glasses?

A

Alex1975

I nearly got one but have allocated funds to lessons and a slow mo camera. This is on my list though once my game comes together a bit more.

How steady do you have to be also does anyone that owns one wear glasses?

From 140is up I was using two hands and out at 170/180 it's harder to lock with the shake but that would be the same with any brand. The 7x optics are awesome.

A

Alex1975

On its own, I guess a gps would be handy at the long yardages but at such yardages I only really need a post or marker disk as its hit and hope for me out there.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

I used it today and it was really really good. I must not follow it blindly though, I obviously locked the trees behind the green at 190 so I smashed a hybrid at them, flew the green and hit the trees at 190, great shot! I think the flag was about 170....

It was the only error I made, a locked ever other flag easily.

Love the thing!

I do find it easier to use than the Nikon I tried on the course BUT I can't get it steady enough most of the time to 100% trust the reading!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

Marathon running or alcohol. Hmmmm :mmm:

Alcohol is definitely the easier option. :whoo:

True! My favourite tipple was Southern Comfort and I gave it up for 3 months of training. First plan on limping into the house was a large one - tipped it down the sink as it tasted awful and never had another one since!

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site

I do find it easier to use than the Nikon I tried on the course BUT I can't get it steady enough most of the time to 100% trust the reading!

Use the scan function. If the pin is hard to get then hit the front of the green or greenside bunker, tree etc. If you are having trouble from 100 yards and in then maybe a tripod would be needed ;)

Anyone willing to wait a while for delievery (usually 2-3 weeks) here is what looks like the exact the same range finder direct from China. It's basically the TM-800 for £84 delivered. The only problem is the lack of backup and support you would get buying from hillman.

Last edited:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site

oh a little update. 9 months after purchase I have started to see the little battery symbol but it still works. Probably a bit of life in the old girl yet but doesn't feel as if it works as well as before at ranges outside 150. This might be a mental thing though. Anyway. £6 on ebay and I got 4 x Duracell CR2 so thats another 36 months.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site

Will need to get a shot of this at ballybiffen. Debating whether I really need one or not though.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site

Will need to get a shot of this at ballybiffen. Debating whether I really need one or not though.

Should have a nice fresh battery in it for then Chris. Get in the same 4 ball and you can have accurate yardages anytime you want ;)

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site

The long term:

OK so nearly a year since I got it and I had a problem. After a dodgy batch of batteries which ran out super quick I got a new one from a shop. From the minute I put it in I was faced with a low battery symbol and scan mode wouldn't work properly. Oh dear. Nearly a year what sort of back up will I get. Will they ask me to prove the fault? Contacted the seller. They quickly got back to me saying asking if the fault affected the use (I only reported the low battery symbol coming on all the time). In the same email they offered me a number of choices. a) if it still worked but had the symbol they would give a partial refund. b) or I could replace. I chose to replace. So they arranged courier pickup for Tuesday. Today a brand new range finder with upgraded rigid carry case arrived.

Apparently a small number of the TM-800 with the old style case have this issue. Customer service was excellent and I can't fault them at all. I'll take much better care of this one (only buying quality batteries, keeping it clean and dry, removing it from my bag before loading it into the car etc). In reality my handling of it may have been the cause but I can't be 100% sure. Will keep you guys updated though.

How is anyone everyone else getting on with them?