Hillman Laser Range Finder TM-800

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go on Chris you know you want to ;). If you do check the postage costs though. That was the only disappointment I had. Just hope it isn't higher to ROI can't see why it would be though.

Postage is always stooopid money (normally). Would get it sent to my old man in Edinburgh he works over there anyway.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
like the idea of the 1500 model with 2 x AAA

get batteroes free from work so no extra costs and only sonocaddie have my course mapped on gps and tbh I only use a gps for stats more than anything

toss up now for 40th B'day pressie, a rangefinder or high speed camera... decisions, decisions

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Postage is always stooopid money (normally). Would get it sent to my old man in Edinburgh he works over there anyway.

Wise idea. He could be probably send it to you and you could get 12 ProV1's with the money saved! Ridiculous postage costs. I have seen myself nipping over to Lifford on my way to Derry to post stuff before now. Not to mention the cheap diesel.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wise idea. He could be probably send it to you and you could get 12 ProV1's with the money saved! Ridiculous postage costs. I have seen myself nipping over to Lifford on my way to Derry to post stuff before now. Not to mention the cheap diesel.

Problem is the diesel is not staying much cheaper!!!! He comes back every 6 weeks or so, so it would be a case of timing my order ;)

T

thecraw

Having sent Chris a golf bag I was embarrassed at what I had to charge him. Parcelforce should be ashamed of themselves considering it also took nearly two weeks.

Jaymosafehands

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
like the idea of the 1500 model with 2 x AAA

get batteroes free from work so no extra costs and only sonocaddie have my course mapped on gps and tbh I only use a gps for stats more than anything

toss up now for 40th B'day pressie, a rangefinder or high speed camera... decisions, decisions

That's the one I went for, I'm looking forward to seeing how long the batteries last.

Last edited:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
All I can say is it is still going strong on the original battery. Used it today at Portnoo. Strong wind and a little rain. Consistent yardages. My playing partner was very impressed by it as I was able to give him accurate yardages as well.

Had to use the scan mode mostly as it was quite a long course and with cool weather strong winds and softer than usual fairways approach shots tended to be around the 200-150 yard mark. I was able to completely ignore the on course markers and measurements (which are in meters to front of green) and trusted the unit.

On one hole a playing partner and I were just before the 100m marker. We both guessed the yardage at around 120. I decided to measure it and showed 140 to the pin. Used scan mode as the flag was whipping around and hard to lock on. He thought it couldn't possibly be that far. I took my 9 iron (which averages 130 or so on parkland courses) and hit it well with some run. Unfortunately my alignment plus the wind caused it to go left but I was perfectly clubbed for the shot. He ended up short of the green despite having played a good clean shot. I'll never trust a guess again.

I was also able to use it to measure distances to hazards which helped me decide between a lay up or going for the green. Very handy it be able to do.

Another tip I found to speed up the process was to use it while waiting for others to play their shots if my ball was ahead. Then I could point it at my ball and subtract the distance and still gave accurate yardages!

I honestly don't think you'll regret it. Which ever you get just remember to take spare batteries just in case. I do tend to adopt a boy scout attitude to golf though. Was able to provide spare gloves and water proof trousers to my Dad today!

Last edited:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
The driver worked well Gibbo. Unfortunately the wind wasn't ideal for it but generally went straight apart from a couple of nasty slices which I knew where the result of a bad out to in swing. One of those shots you know is wrong before you even start the downswing if you know what I mean.

Daffy

Hacker
Visit site
Superb review.
Got so excited that I rushed to the website to buy the rangefinder.
But I too am gonna get a delivery charge, but living even more off the beatn track than northern ireland I'm liable for a £22 charge. You'd think I was in outer mongolia rather than the beginnings of the highlands.
Oh well :-(

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's because they use city link for deliveries. But still £120 for a decent range finder isn't bad. Unless you have a friend living in one of the free postage areas who could relay it for you at a lower cost.

Jaymosafehands

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
further update.

I took it out on a course today I haven't played before. Found it to be quick and effective in getting distances, and was finding pins from 200 yards with ease. Within 80-90 yards I felt it really give me confidence in attacking pins, even more so than with my GPS.

After a couple of runs, only issue I have (and it's minimal, hey, maybe I should read the instructions!!) is it often ends up in Scan mode without me touching the mode button, and is slow responding to go back to the basic mode. A really small gripe, or me being stupid.

Overall, I think it's better than a GPS, it can be used to pick out hazards, trees etc and really helps within 150 yards.

Pretty certain I've made a great purchase.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well I've read this thread 4 times now, and have finally decided to buy one. So the 1500 is now on order. Cracking price and free delivery as well. Should be better than my gps. There are more accurate maps of the moon, than my course. One par 3 was reported as being 130 yards despite clearly being 160 plus.

Jaymosafehands

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've found a problem with it. Gutted.

It doesn't work in the fog!! ;)

On a positive, still on the same batteries. And my playing partner's Bushnell didn't work either.

Easily fixed though, just guessed ranges, and we scored 43 points, came 2nd!

T

thecraw

Re: Hillman Laser RAnge Finder TM-800

I see there is also a TM1500 at £120, is there a difference for your extra £20? Been following this thread with interest as I may take the plunge as well.