Higher Handicappers - ever short of the green ?

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just thinking about a friend of mine's general game, and how a lot of others may also be, and thought t might help:

Good pal of mine is a big fella, 6' 3' and 16stone, not overweight just very well built. However, he's off 27/28 despite lessons & playing for many years.

One thing we have mentioned from time to time to help him, but as yet its not sunk in, is to take more club, as he's invarioubly short of the green.
Sure, he's not consistent with his distances etc, but its just more that his judgement of what club will get him there is way off, and instead of taking that 7 or 8, he should be taking a 6.

Sometimes he might flush it and go thru, but I bet on most, he'd be a helluva lot closer to the pin than he currently gets.

Sound familiar to anyone else ?

Analyse your game, and if you're always short, there IS an easy remedy !!

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know a great remedy for people who are regularly coming up short, by a skycaddie so you can get the correct yardage, and learn how far you hit each club! :eek: :p

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I know a great remedy for people who are regularly coming up short, by a skycaddie so you can get the correct yardage, and learn how far you hit each club! :eek: :p

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I read a book by Jack Nicklaus once, and he said the biggest mistake made by club golfers is not taking enough club when they hit their approach shots.
I tend to always take one more club than my original thought (unless I am really playing and striking the ball well..."pumped up" if you like) and swing a little easier.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ever since I got told off by you guys I always take a club more and swing easier and now im hitting the back of all greens but in this weather the ball is just bouncing off.

It is indeed the biggest mistake golfers make.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Ever since I got told off by you guys I always take a club more and swing easier and now im hitting the back of all greens but in this weather the ball is just bouncing off.

It is indeed the biggest mistake golfers make.

Come the better weather you will reap the rewards...

Trust me, Obi one
;)

Smigger79

Club Champion
www.styrrupgolf.co.uk
Dead right Chris. I'm 6'3" and 16 stone, 28 h/cap and was always misjudging which club to take for approach shots. Got a skycaddie last month and it's opened my eyes as to how far I actually hit each club. My last 3 rounds have been my three best scores mostly down to now taking a 6 instead of a 7 iron etc.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, I learnt this lesson early but even up untill last month I would argue my self out of a good chance by attacking a pin at the front. Now I have the Sky caddie, I always aim pin atleast where I can.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Take the 18th at the Belfry. Not only is it 40 yards but its uphill too.

Depending on the shape of the green it can be useful to be a little short than long. I know we don't always hit 100% but if you take more club and cream it long when the pin is at the back then you're in trouble. Leaving it short in that situation leaves a far easier shot than a delicate chip back. And yes its obviously better to be on the green but if you're not - in this instance - short is better than long.

it pays to know where the pin is - front, middle, or back.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Particularly in the winter, when the air is cold and heavy, I always try to take a club which will land me at the back of the green. I seldom, if ever, go far over and there's usually no trouble there anyway so it'll make any chips back easier.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most high h/c players in my view come up short or long because they mis-hit the ball. High h/c players are not that gifted with consistant striking, or they would be lower h/c players.

It is rarely a distance judgement that makes them come up short, more often a mis hit.

What distance are we talking about that makes a guy 6feet plus, need a 6 iron rather than a 7?
Is he striking the 7 iron properly?
If he struck cleanly would he really need an 8?

Advice is sometimes of little use if those details are not known. If he starts hitting distance by going up a club, then after a while starts striking the ball well, you would then be over hitting, gps or sky caddy doesnt help inconsistant ball striking other than letting you know how often you dont strike the ball well. :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Most trouble is always at the front of the green by design to catch the short shot. I'm with the other GPS guys on this in that I am hitting far more shots into the middle/back third of greens purely because I know what the yardage is to the pin and can choose with confidence the club I know I can hit that far. Until we had the frost, and the green were holding I was actually making a lot more birdies or playing good short irons and making par putts because I could throw the ball onto the green further knowing it will stop.

I have to disagree up tot a point with Herb. I know a lot of high (24+) handicappers that come up short but who strike the ball well. The problem they have is that a lot of time it is an errant drive which means they are coming out of thicker grass (light rough or worse) and simply don't take that into account. They see 150 yards and pick a club and don't factor in the lie. Also, a lot of higher handicappers mover the ball (mostly left to right) and again forget to take the loss of distance a slice or fade will give so even though they strike the ball well the shape of shot robs them of 5-10 yards.

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem they have is that a lot of time it is an errant drive which means they are coming out of thicker grass (light rough or worse) and simply don't take that into account. They see 150 yards and pick a club and don't factor in the lie. Also, a lot of higher handicappers mover the ball (mostly left to right) and again forget to take the loss of distance a slice or fade will give so even though they strike the ball well the shape of shot robs them of 5-10 yards.

Have you been following me??? :D ;)

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
skycaddie has definitely got me taking more club, I found out my distance judgment could be out by 1 or 2 clubs.

It's also good for finding out what club and swing (50%, 75%, full) you need to make the distance.

Unfortunately it hasn't taught me yet that if you're in the cabbage don't over club and expect to hit it clean.

Spoff

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i'm not a big fella and not a big hitter an am aware that I always am short of the green on approaches.

Over the last three months I have spent a lot of time on the range getting to know my distances and will hopefully have a bit more confidence taking a longer club.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, I cant speak for anyone else obviously, but for the friend I am talking about, its not about the strike, its all about the judgement.
He simply underestimates what club is required, even I stand there & know what HE should perhaps be taking, against what I might, and after he plays the shot, comes up short, I ask and am usually right.

Anyway, I dont want to start another big debate, it was just an observation, perhaps it might help someone

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, I cant speak for anyone else obviously, but for the friend I am talking about, its not about the strike, its all about the judgement.
He simply underestimates what club is required, even I stand there & know what HE should perhaps be taking, against what I might, and after he plays the shot, comes up short, I ask and am usually right.

Anyway, I dont want to start another big debate, it was just an observation, perhaps it might help someone

If he plays of 27/28 and doesnt have a ball striking problem, what then is it that makes him have a 27/28 h/c, comming up short on just about every green for a good ball striker who just misjudges distance shouldnt leave him or her wanting, certainly not for 28 strokes worth????

I play of 9 and used to play off 6 and I have always had a cosistancy issue with ball striking, the margines of error between a poor strike and perfection may be small but I still mis hit a fair few shots. Self belief is a great thing but dreaming improves very little. ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm guessing if he underestimates his club selection he is finding a lot of greenside traps or missing the green completely. I would summise that it is probably the short game chipping, bunkers and putting that is holding him back handicap wise