High starting handicap

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So i'm typically going around my course in the mid 80's, but the two cards i've put in so far have been brutally bad rounds, to the point where if I was on the outside looking in I would question if they were intentionally bad.

Cards i've put in so far are a 102 and a 11x, other than those cards the worst i've hit is 92, and typically 84-88

What would you do?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Play
Put cards in
Play
Play some more...
Your handicap will be what it will be.
If you're given a high one due to the 3 cards, if you're better than that you'll soon come down.

As long as you've done the best you could on each card then don't worry.
Nobody plays well all the time

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So i'm typically going around my course in the mid 80's, but the two cards i've put in so far have been brutally bad rounds, to the point where if I was on the outside looking in I would question if they were intentionally bad.

Cards i've put in so far are a 102 and a 11x, other than those cards the worst i've hit is 92, and typically 84-88

What would you do?

Are we talking about 3 cards towards your handicap ?? and you have still one to return ? If so, your handicap will be based on your lowest one returned with all triples and above scored down to doubles. After that, if it's to high for your ability, as said play comps and it'll soon come down.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds like you will score when you learn some essential skills. Lack of completion experience can easily be overcome!

Get out there and get that experience!

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are we talking about 3 cards towards your handicap ?? and you have still one to return ? If so, your handicap will be based on your lowest one returned with all triples and above scored down to doubles. After that, if it's to high for your ability, as said play comps and it'll soon come down.
Yup one to go, i was under the impression that it was an average of the three to some result? if its best of three i feel like at least i've got a chance to put in an honest round yet!! Most of the score comes from some stinking holes.

Given that you can now get 28+ handicaps if a comp is max 28 handicap is that saying if you enter you will get no more than 28 strokes, or saying that you cannot enter if you are over 28 handicap?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your initial handicap will be based upon the best card you put in and not the average of the 3. So if you want a handicap that gets you in to comps wait to put in the next one until you are more consistent and the score is better.

Once you have been given an initial handicap the only way to get it down is by playing better than it in using a qualifying score.

Really bad holes are only those which are more than twice the par.

This is how the initial handicap is calculated

1. [*]b) The
  2. [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Handicap Committee [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]shall 1. Adjust any score of more than double par at any hole to a score of double par (i.e. 6 on a Par 3, 8 on a Par 4 and 10 on a Par 5).
    [*]2. Add the nine-hole scores (if applicable) to make up 18-hole equivalents in chronological order. If a club has more than one
  3. [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Designated Nine-Hole Courses [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]each pair of nine-hole scores must be returned over courses having the same [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Designated Nine-Hole [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]SSSs for the gender of player concerned.
    [*]3. Calculate the Adjusted Gross Differential (‘AGD‘) scores from the three 18 hole (or 18-hole equivalent) scores; these scores being calculated by comparing the returns relative to the SSS’s of the courses/tees used: AGD = Adjusted Gross Score – SSS for the course/tees used Determine the Lowest Adjusted Gross Differential (‘LAGD‘) from the three Adjusted Gross Differentials
    [*]4. Reduce the resulting LAGD according to the formula;
    [*]
Initial Handicap = (LAGD + (LAGD*0.13))/ 1.237 truncated to provide a whole number.
For example, a player with a Lowest Adjusted Gross Differential of 31 is allotted an initial handicap of 28 (which is recorded as an
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Exact Handicap [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]of 28.0) as shown below: Initial Handicap = (31 + (31*0.13))/1.237 = (31 + 4.03)/1.237
= (35.03/1.237)
= 28.31 truncated to 28 and recorded as an Exact Handicap of
After these adjustments have been made the whole number
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Exact Handicap [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]shall, subject to the provisions of Clauses 16.3(c) and 16.3(e), be allotted.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yup one to go, i was under the impression that it was an average of the three to some result? if its best of three i feel like at least i've got a chance to put in an honest round yet!! Most of the score comes from some stinking holes.

I put in 3 cards back in late September, my handicap was based on my best score and like you 2 of them were stinkers.

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Very much the same predicament. Starting handicap of 27, now been practicing and playing a tad for the last 10 months and can get round my home course in 83-90. I’m hoping that playing some early competitions and getting out a lot will soon bring it down to much more respectable level.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very much the same predicament. Starting handicap of 27, now been practicing and playing a tad for the last 10 months and can get round my home course in 83-90. I’m hoping that playing some early competitions and getting out a lot will soon bring it down to much more respectable level.
Ye Gods.... repeat this in the Q season & you're gonna turn a few heads... :whistle:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Get the cards in, get playing. Learn to play competition golf where bogey (and occasionally even double) can be a good score and learn how to male a score. I wouldn't worry where you start. It's about improving and trying to be as low as you can

Sidsidgwick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ye Gods.... repeat this in the Q season & you're gonna turn a few heads... :whistle:

That’s my worry. Ten months of lessons, range 3 times a week and playing with my mates who range from 2-12 handicaps has helped me as a beginner immensely.

I’m not overly competitive (I have other sports that I am much more competitive in and see Golf more as a way of unwinding with my mates). Winning comps etc isn’t my aim at all I just rather enjoy playing.

Was out today practicing as my driving ability seems to have disappeared much like the sunshine.

Looking forward to this season and hopefully seeing my handicap decrease a tad.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s my worry. Ten months of lessons, range 3 times a week and playing with my mates who range from 2-12 handicaps has helped me as a beginner immensely.

I’m not overly competitive (I have other sports that I am much more competitive in and see Golf more as a way of unwinding with my mates). Winning comps etc isn’t my aim at all I just rather enjoy playing.

Was out today practicing as my driving ability seems to have disappeared much like the sunshine.

Looking forward to this season and hopefully seeing my handicap decrease a tad.
As you say you’ve a further Card to submit & this one could determine your h/cap. Also as it’s usual to submit 3 cards within a month of each other, if this is not so, then you may wish to share your ‘practice levels’ with the H/cap Sec with a view to getting something equitable to all. Nothing worse than entering a Club with a ‘bandit’ reputation.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Given that you can now get 28+ handicaps if a comp is max 28 handicap is that saying if you enter you will get no more than 28 strokes, or saying that you cannot enter if you are over 28 handicap?

Remember that "stinking holes" get adjusted. As a rough guide, add up how many stableford points your bad cards would have had if playing off scratch. Whatever is the number you need to add to that to bring it up to 36 would be close to your handicap.

But like others have said - h/c will be based on the best of three so one decent card will see you right.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
My first three cards that I put in when I was at Cavendish were over a 100. Even had a two other attempts with the cards but heel strikes and shanks. I remember 6 putting on one of them.
Got given a 28 handicap. Was expecting 18-20 but obviously my cards was crud.
Went back to my home club and won greenkeepers revenge with 40 odd points.

Take what your given.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Your initial handicap will be based upon the best card you put in and not the average of the 3. So if you want a handicap that gets you in to comps wait to put in the next one until you are more consistent and the score is better.

Once you have been given an initial handicap the only way to get it down is by playing better than it in using a qualifying score.

Really bad holes are only those which are more than twice the par.

This is how the initial handicap is calculated

1. b) The
  2. Handicap Committee shall 1. Adjust any score of more than double par at any hole to a score of double par (i.e. 6 on a Par 3, 8 on a Par 4 and 10 on a Par 5).
  3. 2. Add the nine-hole scores (if applicable) to make up 18-hole equivalents in chronological order. If a club has more than one
  4. Designated Nine-Hole Courses each pair of nine-hole scores must be returned over courses having the same Designated Nine-Hole SSSs for the gender of player concerned.
    [*]3. Calculate the Adjusted Gross Differential (‘AGD‘) scores from the three 18 hole (or 18-hole equivalent) scores; these scores being calculated by comparing the returns relative to the SSS’s of the courses/tees used: AGD = Adjusted Gross Score – SSS for the course/tees used Determine the Lowest Adjusted Gross Differential (‘LAGD‘) from the three Adjusted Gross Differentials
    [*]4. Reduce the resulting LAGD according to the formula;
Initial Handicap = (LAGD + (LAGD*0.13))/ 1.237 truncated to provide a whole number.
For example, a player with a Lowest Adjusted Gross Differential of 31 is allotted an initial handicap of 28 (which is recorded as an
Exact Handicap of 28.0) as shown below: Initial Handicap = (31 + (31*0.13))/1.237 = (31 + 4.03)/1.237
= (35.03/1.237)
= 28.31 truncated to 28 and recorded as an Exact Handicap of
After these adjustments have been made the whole number
Exact Handicap shall, subject to the provisions of Clauses 16.3(c) and 16.3(e), be allotted.

thanks for posting this. I thought tthe reduction of large scores would become triple bogey instead of double bogey to accommodate the new 54 handicap, but looks as if I thought wrong. :eek:
Looking back at my initial handicap round (I record all rounds) my initial handicap under these new rules would have been 27 instead of 23.