high lofted hybrids

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am absolutely sold on these things.

My mate gave me a titleist 915 4 hybrid 24degrees a few weeks ago. Been hitting it like a dream. So much better than any 4 iron I've ever owned.

Went on the hunt for a 5 hybrid 27 degree to replace my 5 iron. Quite rare to find a 915 27 degree but managed to find one in Scotland and get it sent over. Most of the 27 degrees I found were ladies clubs. This one has a regular shaft which I will swop out soon for a stiff. Tested this club today. Found looking at so much loft on a hybrid a little odd on first viewing down by the ball but after two goes I was sold.

Hit the 27 about 20 times today and everyone went screaming off on a nice flight with minimal effort. Put it up against my 5 iron and its a touch longer but so much easier to hit and surprisingly more accurate. This was something I thought I would be giving up with a high lofted hybrid.

I honestly can't see my 5 iron ever making a return to my bag. Always been one of my weaker irons as I dont launch them high. this is a real game changer for me. I had identified the 5 & 4 iron length shots to be a real weakness in my game. All I can say is time to find a new weakness.

Anyone else playing these cheat sticks? :)

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I am absolutely sold on these things.

My mate gave me a titleist 915 4 hybrid 24degrees a few weeks ago. Been hitting it like a dream. So much better than any 4 iron I've ever owned.

Went on the hunt for a 5 hybrid 27 degree to replace my 5 iron. Quite rare to find a 915 27 degree but managed to find one in Scotland and get it sent over. Most of the 27 degrees I found were ladies clubs. This one has a regular shaft which I will swop out soon for a stiff. Tested this club today. Found looking at so much loft on a hybrid a little odd on first viewing down by the ball but after two goes I was sold.

Hit the 27 about 20 times today and everyone went screaming off on a nice flight with minimal effort. Put it up against my 5 iron and its a touch longer but so much easier to hit and surprisingly more accurate. This was something I thought I would be giving up with a high lofted hybrid.

I honestly can't see my 5 iron ever making a return to my bag. Always been one of my weaker irons as I dont launch them high. this is a real game changer for me. I had identified the 5 & 4 iron length shots to be a real weakness in my game. All I can say is time to find a new weakness.

Anyone else playing these cheat sticks? :)

I've the 915HD 23.5 degree but lofted up to 25 ATM and it's so much better than my 4 iron ever was! Have been looking for a 27degree myself so could lower this ones loft, but ATM I tend to just out a softer swing on it and leave the 5 iron alone.

mwm118

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have the opposite problem, I launch my irons too high as a result I am scared to hit a hybrid with loft greater than 21*. I do hit hybrids better than long irons, just the wind is too much of a problemo

D

Deleted member 16999

I carry the 21 and 24 degree 915's, also have the 18 but just replaced it with the 716 T-MB 2 Iron, getting much better distance off the tee with the 2 iron than I did with the 18 degree, better flight as well

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
when i first started playing one of the guys i played with had a set of Slazenger Big Eazy irons, which every club was a hybrid have you thought about getting a set of those?

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Picked up an Adams Tight Lies 28* and it's a great wee club from the fairway, rough and flat bunkers. Took the 5 iron out the bag a while ago and very rarely use my 6 iron now either

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I play with the callaway x2 hot hybrids. 4 is 22 degree and 5 is 25, I think. I love them, accurate, good distance and high ball flight. But any higher loft than that I think it's one down with snow on it!

J5MBF

Head Pro
Visit site
Love high lofted hybrids, always have. I find myself so much more comfortable behind the ball with a hybrid compared to 4/5/6 iron. Love them off the tee on shorter par 4's too.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've got a Nike Vapor 20 Degree hybrid which I hit great but I just do not feel like I can manipulate the ball as well with a hybrid as I can with an iron.

Anything above 22 degrees ish would put me off.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I play with the callaway x2 hot hybrids. 4 is 22 degree and 5 is 25, I think. I love them, accurate, good distance and high ball flight. But any higher loft than that I think it's one down with snow on it!

There is no logical reason why a hybrid should balloon or not have an optimal peak height.

Reasons for ballooning

*wrong head. (example my jpx800. Actually designed to be easy to get in the air.
*wrong shaft. won't always be the case but I find a stiffer heavier shaft helps to control the flight
*wrong technique comes in two parts -- not having a descending blow therefore presenting too much loft at impact
--ball position too forward usually leading to point one.

Titleist have absolutely nailed these hybrids. Ive used plenty down the years and none come close to these. 90gramm shaft in the 24 is amazing. Feels solid and gives a great flight.

Some hybrids I've had have been hooky (Adams a12 pro) , others very much fade bias (Mizuno mp650). I hit the 915's with a nice draw on normal shots but can quite easily take some off it and hit a softer cut.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
22 deg and especially 25 deg G30 Hybrids have changed my game for the better, I also use the 22 degree off the tee 3s short tight 4s as well very versatile, I can even fade both of them, if necessary, which is supposedly impossible, love them both

mwm118

Medal Winner
Visit site
There is no logical reason why a hybrid should balloon or not have an optimal peak height.

Reasons for ballooning

*wrong head. (example my jpx800. Actually designed to be easy to get in the air.
*wrong shaft. won't always be the case but I find a stiffer heavier shaft helps to control the flight
*wrong technique comes in two parts -- not having a descending blow therefore presenting too much loft at impact
--ball position too forward usually leading to point one.

Titleist have absolutely nailed these hybrids. Ive used plenty down the years and none come close to these. 90gramm shaft in the 24 is amazing. Feels solid and gives a great flight.

Some hybrids I've had have been hooky (Adams a12 pro) , others very much fade bias (Mizuno mp650). I hit the 915's with a nice draw on normal shots but can quite easily take some off it and hit a softer cut.

Surely you can apply a similar logic to not hitting a game improvement 5 iron right?

DCB

Visit site
I used to say I'd never carry one of these beasts in my bag, however, trying to get back into my golf after my accident I found I couldn't swing a long iron well enough to get good length & distance out of it. Tried a 4 hybrid to start with and it was a gem, so, hunted out a 5 hybrid which went well and now have a 3 hybrid in the bag as well. They are really easy to hit from either turf or tee and have certainly helped me get some semblance of a game back together. If I saw a matching 6 hybrid I might just be tempted. They really are that easy to use.