high lofted hybrids

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i was at the range today after my round today and picked up an ex-demo stiff shaft for the 27 degree hybrid.

i actually couldnt help but burst into laughter each time i launched one of these down the range down wind. they are that flipping easy to use. there is no chance i could pipe 4 and 5 irons with that beautiful flight time after time. even the miss hits where getting out there.

cheat sticks indeed. a wee coined phrase.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ernie Els, it is his go to club for practise
I practice with a 5 iron, bad shots and poor contact are shown up. I used to practice with a bladed one especially when I felt I was really not doing it right. Confidence with a 5 iron makes you confident with everything else in the bag.
But bottom line is play the game how you like and enjoy it.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Update on this thread.

These hybrids are still the best things since sliced bread.

Spoke to my cousin about them just after I got them in September. He told me he took my advice and now has a set up that follows

Driver
3 wood
7 wood
5 hybrid
6 hybrid.

He says they are absolute game changers for him. He just recently added the 6 hybrid. A nice little Mizuno number. 90gramm ref shaft. Felt quite nice.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
You'll be getting graphite shafts in your irons next 😂

#SeniorsSetUp 😜😉

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Got a couple of 25°'s and a 27° none of which are in the bag at the moment, all pretty easy to hit with the TM stage 2 being the least easy to play with
I also have an MD 11 wood that's a doddle to hit (must be about 27° too)

Really enjoy using hybrids and have 19 & 22 in the bag (but secretly wish I could just smack a 3 or 4 iron)

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Got a couple of 25°'s and a 27° none of which are in the bag at the moment, all pretty easy to hit with the TM stage 2 being the least easy to play with
I also have an MD 11 wood that's a doddle to hit (must be about 27° too)

Really enjoy using hybrids and have 19 & 22 in the bag (but secretly wish I could just smack a 3 or 4 iron)

Another convert here.

Had a shocker with almost all my irons last week but the hybrids are such a life saver. Got mocked using my hybrid on a short par 3, right up until it finished closest to the pin..

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some will laugh, some will cry but I am moving completely into the realms of making the game as easy as I can for myself.

A couple of years ago I had 4-pw in blades. Old titleist 690mb. I loved them but they didn't help if I didn't flush them from 7 iron down to the 4.

One by one I've replaces them. Went to ap2 irons and now these are dropping like flies. The 4 iron and 5 iron were swept out if the way by the titleist 915 hybrids.

Last week I spotted a jpx fli hi 7 hybrid with a KBS x stiff shaft. I thought to myself, I have to try this. Thought maybe it will be long enough to drop my 6 iron. After using it, it appears that it is a straight replacement for my 7 iron. Maybe a tad longer but so so easy to hit and stop on the green. Absolutely love it.

So that leaves me looking for a stiff mizuno 6hybrid jpx fli hi. It also leaves me with 8 - lob wedge as irons. Do I care? Not one jot.

I was inspired by Crossfield's review of the hybrid irons coming out from Cleveland. He was raving about them.

I've been taking some stick from my mates for this latest hybrid but the quality of strike and consistency does the talking for me. Happy as a pig in the proverbial. :) I may need to buy a tour bag to fit in all the headcovers . Lol

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Does anyway actually like a 5 iron - horrible club.

I like my 5 iron. But I use it for a completely different type of shot than my 25° hybrid (which goes about the same distance). The hybrid goes very high and is great to hit it over trees with some distance or out of fairway bunkers. The 5 iron stays much much lower, so I use it for punch shots or just long chip outs a lot when I have overhanging trees in my way. I relatively rarely use it for full shots when I am not impeded in height, because the hybrid is easier to hit.

I used to hit the 5 iron off the tee on one of our par 3s as well, but I have outgrown that a bit ... I can now easily reach the green with my 7 iron or at the most the 6 iron if the flag is all the way back. But off the tee I did not feel a difference in ease of use between the five and the six or seven.

But hybrids are definitely fun and I would be totally lost on the course without them.

D

Deleted member 18121

Whatever works..... I played with a guy at the weekend that uses all woods. Think he said the highest was a 15 wood....

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some will laugh, some will cry but I am moving completely into the realms of making the game as easy as I can for myself.

A couple of years ago I had 4-pw in blades. Old titleist 690mb. I loved them but they didn't help if I didn't flush them from 7 iron down to the 4.

One by one I've replaces them. Went to ap2 irons and now these are dropping like flies. The 4 iron and 5 iron were swept out if the way by the titleist 915 hybrids.

Last week I spotted a jpx fli hi 7 hybrid with a KBS x stiff shaft. I thought to myself, I have to try this. Thought maybe it will be long enough to drop my 6 iron. After using it, it appears that it is a straight replacement for my 7 iron. Maybe a tad longer but so so easy to hit and stop on the green. Absolutely love it.

So that leaves me looking for a stiff mizuno 6hybrid jpx fli hi. It also leaves me with 8 - lob wedge as irons. Do I care? Not one jot.

I was inspired by Crossfield's review of the hybrid irons coming out from Cleveland. He was raving about them.

I've been taking some stick from my mates for this latest hybrid but the quality of strike and consistency does the talking for me. Happy as a pig in the proverbial. :) I may need to buy a tour bag to fit in all the headcovers . Lol

I have the Fli-Hi 5 & 6 (old model) in the bag just now so only 7i - PW in irons left.

Even though I'm proficient with the irons (esp. 6) the Fli-Hi's are so reliable I wouldn't go back

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Must be just me I hate the things.
I am ok with my long irons but have tried hybrids I found I could not get them on target .
Hit them high and to the right mostly .
Tried them all reg and stiff .
when I hear people say they are so easy to hit I think it must be the way I deliver the club head as I always struggle with them.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I am absolutely sold on these things.

My mate gave me a titleist 915 4 hybrid 24degrees a few weeks ago. Been hitting it like a dream. So much better than any 4 iron I've ever owned.

Went on the hunt for a 5 hybrid 27 degree to replace my 5 iron. Quite rare to find a 915 27 degree but managed to find one in Scotland and get it sent over. Most of the 27 degrees I found were ladies clubs. This one has a regular shaft which I will swop out soon for a stiff. Tested this club today. Found looking at so much loft on a hybrid a little odd on first viewing down by the ball but after two goes I was sold.

Hit the 27 about 20 times today and everyone went screaming off on a nice flight with minimal effort. Put it up against my 5 iron and its a touch longer but so much easier to hit and surprisingly more accurate. This was something I thought I would be giving up with a high lofted hybrid.

I honestly can't see my 5 iron ever making a return to my bag. Always been one of my weaker irons as I dont launch them high. this is a real game changer for me. I had identified the 5 & 4 iron length shots to be a real weakness in my game. All I can say is time to find a new weakness.

Anyone else playing these cheat sticks? :)

Yep!

I acquired a Titleist 27* from a mate (a 5-capper) a few months ago! Getting plenty of use, competing with the 23* for 'go to' club!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/mizuno-jpx-fli-hi-hybrid-review/

These are the JPX fli hi hybrids. Iron like face that behaves like a hybrid. fan dabby :thup:

Must be just me I hate the things.
I am ok with my long irons but have tried hybrids I found I could not get them on target .
Hit them high and to the right mostly .
Tried them all reg and stiff .
when I hear people say they are so easy to hit I think it must be the way I deliver the club head as I always struggle with them.

If anyone is struggling with a hybrid I tell them to play it a couple of balls forward of centre. Then just simply hit the ball with a level swing. Dont hit down but firmly slap the club into the back of the ball level. The speed you swing these clubs and the design is enough to send the ball screaming in the sky. There really is nowt to it.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/mizuno-jpx-fli-hi-hybrid-review/

These are the JPX fli hi hybrids. Iron like face that behaves like a hybrid. fan dabby :thup:

I have the Fli-Hi 5 & 6 (old model) in the bag just now so only 7i - PW in irons left.

Even though I'm proficient with the irons (esp. 6) the Fli-Hi's are so reliable I wouldn't go back

Them fli hi jpx clubs are great. Its the 2012 one I have. Super design. I think the newer ones are more hybrid like with a bulge and roll face. The older ones have an iron like face. Superb. want to sell me your 6?

There is a 6 on ebay but its regular. I am trying my best to hold out for a stiff.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have a Titleist 24 degree that is ramped up to 25.5 degrees to replace my 4 iron and it is absolutely super! Fills a gap and so easy to hit.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Got an 18 degree 'Adams XTDti' set to 18.5 and also got a 22 degree 'Macgregor DX' just in the process of looking for a 25/26/27 degree to go in between the 'DX' and the 6i but as you said they're readily available for women but can't find a half decent blokes hybrid for love nor money, weird innit...

Seen a couple of 'Cleveland Hi-bore' 5i's (27*) but don't know if they'll have the same effect...