high lofted hybrids

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just switched to Ping G hybrids - a 26 degree 5 iron equivalent and a 30 degree 6 iron equivalent. Liking the 26 and absolutely loving the 30. Both of them are far better my previous attempts with normal 5 and 6 irons. The new 6h is fast becoming my favourite club. It really was love at first swing.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is no logical reason why a hybrid should balloon or not have an optimal peak height.

Reasons for ballooning

*wrong head. (example my jpx800. Actually designed to be easy to get in the air.
*wrong shaft. won't always be the case but I find a stiffer heavier shaft helps to control the flight
*wrong technique comes in two parts -- not having a descending blow therefore presenting too much loft at impact
--ball position too forward usually leading to point one.

Titleist have absolutely nailed these hybrids. Ive used plenty down the years and none come close to these. 90gramm shaft in the 24 is amazing. Feels solid and gives a great flight.

Some hybrids I've had have been hooky (Adams a12 pro) , others very much fade bias (Mizuno mp650). I hit the 915's with a nice draw on normal shots but can quite easily take some off it and hit a softer cut.

They're not ballooning, far from it, I love the ball flight.

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site
I am absolutely sold on these things.

My mate gave me a titleist 915 4 hybrid 24degrees a few weeks ago. Been hitting it like a dream. So much better than any 4 iron I've ever owned.

Went on the hunt for a 5 hybrid 27 degree to replace my 5 iron. Quite rare to find a 915 27 degree but managed to find one in Scotland and get it sent over. Most of the 27 degrees I found were ladies clubs. This one has a regular shaft which I will swop out soon for a stiff. Tested this club today. Found looking at so much loft on a hybrid a little odd on first viewing down by the ball but after two goes I was sold.

Hit the 27 about 20 times today and everyone went screaming off on a nice flight with minimal effort. Put it up against my 5 iron and its a touch longer but so much easier to hit and surprisingly more accurate. This was something I thought I would be giving up with a high lofted hybrid.

I honestly can't see my 5 iron ever making a return to my bag. Always been one of my weaker irons as I dont launch them high. this is a real game changer for me. I had identified the 5 & 4 iron length shots to be a real weakness in my game. All I can say is time to find a new weakness.

Anyone else playing these cheat sticks? :)

I play with an old Callaway Diablo Edge 5 hybrid in the bag, then go 6 iron upwards, this hybrid will never leave the bag so easy to use and gets the required distance and height so forgiving

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I play with an old Callaway Diablo Edge 5 hybrid in the bag, then go 6 iron upwards, this hybrid will never leave the bag so easy to use and gets the required distance and height so forgiving

The way I'm hitting my 5 iron at the moment I might be joining you....
Had a 22/23° hybrid for years...got a 20° in as well at the moment - can't have another as I would break the rules on the number of headcovers...😀😀

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My highest loft hybrid is a 22º and is lovely; have considered getting a UT 5iron though!

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got 3 SLDR hybrids in the bag, they are 19, 22 and 25. 19 is de lofted to 18 and 25 lofted to 26. Gives me good gapping between them and to my 6 iron.

High lofted hybrids are the new sliced bread 🏌

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well where do I sign for life with these clubs?

Just had time for 9 before it got dark. Blowing a gale out there. Carded 8 pars and a birdie on the short par 3.

4 hybrid 2nd shot to par 5 2nd. Out of semi rough. Wasn't cleanest of strike and still went pretty much exactly where I wanted it. No chance would same strike iron have got there.

165 into wind slightly up hill. 5 hybrid to 15feet. Par

Similar next par 3. Par

Nemesis hole. Long par 4 into teeth of wind. Driver then full blown 4 hybrid cut to just shy of green. Great strike. Gave it everything I had. Up and down par.

Made easy work of shots that would require great ball striking. absolutely delighted. :)

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well where do I sign for life with these clubs?

Just had time for 9 before it got dark. Blowing a gale out there. Carded 8 pars and a birdie on the short par 3.

4 hybrid 2nd shot to par 5 2nd. Out of semi rough. Wasn't cleanest of strike and still went pretty much exactly where I wanted it. No chance would same strike iron have got there.

165 into wind slightly up hill. 5 hybrid to 15feet. Par

Similar next par 3. Par

Nemesis hole. Long par 4 into teeth of wind. Driver then full blown 4 hybrid cut to just shy of green. Great strike. Gave it everything I had. Up and down par.

Made easy work of shots that would require great ball striking. absolutely delighted. :)

Just imagine how good you'd be if you had a 31*....

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just imagine how good you'd be if you had a 31*....

:rofl: I do hope you are not trying to flog that club of yours for gambling money.

my 6i was a passenger this evening. didn need it. needed two 5woods into par 4's mind you. stiff breeze you might say.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never tried a 4 iron or higher hybrid, does it not look weird with all the loft?

Been thinking about getting one to learn how to hit the chuffing things over winter so I can have 2i, 4h then 5 iron down to get one in my bag for shots out the semi rough etc, also a few guys I play with use them really well round the raised greens at ours......

Never got on with them before, always played them too much like a fairway wood.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the 19 deg 915 set to 20 deg. It's like a cannon. Don't get me wrong, I can still hook it like a gooden, but that's my Chompers swing. I also have a ping ugly g20 23 deg 4 iron replacement that is my go to bat. It really is not pretty, but it works! I have thought about changing it to the 915, but can't bring myself to do it.
I am also not a 5 iron fan and given the choice would hit a hard 6 or easy hybrid.... Interest thought though to change it to a hybrid.... I might put my skirt n and give it a go ;)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Never tried a 4 iron or higher hybrid, does it not look weird with all the loft?

Been thinking about getting one to learn how to hit the chuffing things over winter so I can have 2i, 4h then 5 iron down to get one in my bag for shots out the semi rough etc, also a few guys I play with use them really well round the raised greens at ours......

Never got on with them before, always played them too much like a fairway wood.

Makes complete sense to slip a hybrid in there even if you have a longer iron after it like the 2 or 3. That thought crossed my mind when I was bailed out on the strike from the rough yesterday on the 2nd.

Yes, at first viewing the 27 looked a bit weird. You get over that very quickly. a 22 or 23 would be a great club for you.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have the 19 deg 915 set to 20 deg. It's like a cannon. Don't get me wrong, I can still hook it like a gooden, but that's my Chompers swing. I also have a ping ugly g20 23 deg 4 iron replacement that is my go to bat. It really is not pretty, but it works! I have thought about changing it to the 915, but can't bring myself to do it.
I am also not a 5 iron fan and given the choice would hit a hard 6 or easy hybrid.... Interest thought though to change it to a hybrid.... I might put my skirt n and give it a go ;)

Got nothing to lose pal. The higher lofted hybrids had been on my mind for some time since watching liverbirdie clip a soft 5 hybrid 25degree when I was trying to flush a 5 iron. I was working overtime and needing a perfect contact whereas he looked to be just putting a normal swing and getting much better results constantly.

I know he swops between the 5i and hybrid and tends to shy away from hitting the 5i too at times.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got nothing to lose pal. The higher lofted hybrids had been on my mind for some time since watching liverbirdie clip a soft 5 hybrid 25degree when I was trying to flush a 5 iron. I was working overtime and needing a perfect contact whereas he looked to be just putting a normal swing and getting much better results constantly.

I know he swops between the 5i and hybrid and tends to shy away from hitting the 5i too at times.

Thats slander! The man's a 1 iron God.

Edit, Although I did hear his chunk at S&A registered 4.3 on the richter

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
when i first started playing one of the guys i played with had a set of Slazenger Big Eazy irons, which every club was a hybrid have you thought about getting a set of those?

Im going to need those when I eventually start playing often again. Barely hit anything over a 9 iron at the par 3