Hi-Def

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
Anyone watching the masters in Hi-Def?
It looks amazing, It is that good i have Mr salt and vinegars ears hanging out each side of my tv, after all its only a 50 inch screen.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been watching in high definition, and although you always think to yourself at the time this is no different, when you compare it to non-high def coverage side by side you truly appreciate how crisp the images are. Also I think golf is definitely one of the better sports to watch in high definition due to the attention to detail that is often the subject of the cameras.

teetime72

Head Pro
Visit site
Anyone watching the masters in Hi-Def?
It looks amazing, It is that good i have Mr salt and vinegars ears hanging out each side of my tv,

A good reason for not getting it.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I have a 1020 (capable) dpi LCD, can i get this?
Do I need any other kit or does it just come down the aerial into the built in freeview?
Sorry to sound a dunce....

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
um from my knowledge dave your tv is capable as an output device of displaying high definition images but as far as I'm aware the only two methods of currently recieving a high definition signal is throguh a purpose designed input device available through sky or virgin media. I don't think you can get it through freeview, as for starters you would need an hdmi lead as opposed to just plugging it in through a scart lead or aerial connection point (which by the sounds of it is what you have now), and I am sure that you can not get signals through a standard aerial that will do this justice. And also if your tv has built in freeview I am 99% positive that you will not be able to get a high definition picture. You will have to sign up to sky hd or virgin +.

Sorry if this lacks any form of clarity, but a basic answer is that with your current setup you can't get HD pictures.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are right, of course. I am using an HDMI lead, but it's only for the upscaling on dvds. The inbuilt freeview (needless to say) is just regular DVB. I'd need an HD freeview box or HD satelite. boring.....

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
um from my knowledge dave your tv is capable as an output device of displaying high definition images but as far as I'm aware the only two methods of currently recieving a high definition signal is throguh a purpose designed input device available through sky or virgin media. I don't think you can get it through freeview, as for starters you would need an hdmi lead as opposed to just plugging it in through a scart lead or aerial connection point (which by the sounds of it is what you have now), and I am sure that you can not get signals through a standard aerial that will do this justice. And also if your tv has built in freeview I am 99% positive that you will not be able to get a high definition picture. You will have to sign up to sky hd or virgin +.

Sorry if this lacks any form of clarity, but a basic answer is that with your current setup you can't get HD pictures.

not strictly true.

By the sound of it the tv in question is a full hd tv and not a hd "ready" tv.

A hd ready tv needs another box to get hdtv but a hdtv has its own inbuilt hdtv tuner.

You still need a hd signal and i am not sure if freeview send out a hd signal.

After a quick google it looks like you can't get via freeview as surprise surprise the government are going to sell of the hd frequencies to the highest bidder, so it looks like you will need sky or virgin to get hd.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is the spec

Viera Link
V-Real 2 Engine
Integrated Freeview
IPS Alpha Panel
HDMI x 2

80cm V Wide IPS HD LCD Panel

Ultra Wide 178 Degree Viewing Angle (Horizontally).
Resolution 1366 x 768
V-real 2 Processor

Digital Processing Chip set 1080p

Digital Re-mastering Processor 1080p
V-real 2 Driver

Intelligent Scene Controller (7000:1) Contrast
Advanced 3D Colour management
Sub-Pixel controller
Ease of Use Features

V-Audio - Bottom Speaker System (10W + 10W)
Integrated Digital Terrestrial Tuner
VIERA Link for Easy Operation
PC Input
HDMI x 2
Scart x 2

I tried to put the PC through it....what a disaster!!!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
vista business...couldn't persuade the telly or computer to set the right aspect/screen size.

i thought it might be fun.....pity.....my mate has his pc running on a 50" plasma.....

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it is the intel graphics media interface....what a load of junk....not even 1/2 as good as Nvidia G force (desktop) from 6 years ago....