Help!

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have developed a low hook with my driver and after 4-5 months of it driving me made, i cant stand it any more! :(. Im hoping for a quick fix just for this weekend ;) then work really hard after it. My grip is mega strong(4 knuckles) but it hasnt hindered me before. Please help, i will try and get a video up as soon as possible.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know that shot. Only had it 4-5 months? You will get used to it after a few years and love it like a brother who sometimes annoys the hell out of you.

In my case it is not a strong grip as such but the hands taking over and rolling the clubface shut. I can add a nice pull into the toxic mix by letting the ball position drift forward too.

I would think the grip is the chief culprit and it has just decided to declare itself recently.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ethan is spot on - it is usually exacerbated by a "pull" with your arms on the downswing around youer belly

As you get halfway down in your downswing, think a little about pushing the driver from 4.30 through to 10.30 (on an imaginary clockface).
And perhaps try keeping your grip a little bit looser as you do it.
These 2 together will get the club coming (if a little exagerrated) from the inside and hopefully stop the turning over of your right wrist.
One last thing - you might just be rushing the downswing a bit; to a certain extent you can get away with thsi swing "flaw" with mid /short irons, but it is really important to try and be slow at the start of the downswing with the driver.

Good luck - know the feeling

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Post a vid, but try to get your left wrist cupped at the top of your backswing which will counter act your strong grip. Look at Langer or Azinger and you will see what I mean. Those with weaker grips have a flatter or even bowed wrist angle generally.
Of course - you could just weaken your grip!

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same problem as I had. I sorted it (am sorting this :S) by softening the grip and move the ball a fraction towards the toe of the clubface. Apparently it was caused by my arms being to close and trying to move around my body. I'm now hitting straighter every week and gradually building up the confidence to rip into it

hope this helps

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Post a vid, but I reckon your takeaway has the club too much on the inside.

Do you also get a big high push as well?

grumpyjock

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Did not see much evidence on Friday and that long drive on the 16th went straight.
Look at the video of the tee shot on the first and see what you think.
Maybe a bit too much spine curve on the return and a bit of an overswing on the back.
but do not pay attention to me as im a bit of a duffer.