Help - Playing in a club 4 ball how does 3/4 of difference work ?

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site
Playing in a club 4 ball I play off 10 and my partner is off 19, we are playing guys of 11 and 12.

How do you calculate the 3/4 of handicap ?

Is it my partner gets 3/4 of 9 (difference between mine and his) as i am the lowest out of the four of us ? if so he gets 7 shots ?

the guys that plays of 11 and 12 they get no shots as 3/4 does not go into the difference of 1 and 2

Or have i got this wrong ?

Appreciate confirmation

cheers

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
You take the difference from the lowest handicapper.

So you being the low handicapper will get 0
their 11 handicapper will get 1 (0.75 rounded off)
their 12 handicapper will get 2 (1.5 rounded off)
and your partner will get 7 (6.75 rounded off)

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just saw the above message - agree with that.

The key difference between this and just 3/4 handicap, is the holes on which players get shots - i.e. the harder holes rather than the easier holes. Which makes sense for matchplay I think.

Last edited:

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site
Just saw the above message - agree with that.

The key difference between this and just 3/4 handicap, is the holes on which players get shots - i.e. the harder holes rather than the easier holes. Which makes sense for matchplay I think.

i will need to check, cookelad's response makes sense, think that might be the way we have to play it. cheers

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry, I assumed it was matchplay! If's its a betterball medal/stableford then it's just 3/4s of the handicap not the difference. So you would get 8
your partner would get 14
11hcp would get 8
12hcp would get 9

and you would just take the best nett score on each hole in each pairing! when marking the card make sure to mark the correct player in the correct column i.e. Column A is 11hcp when he scores on the hole the gross score goes in column A, when 12hcp scores the gross score goes in column B.

My tip is to write either yours or your partners first initial next to the markers scores for each hole, this is to help if there is ever a query at the end of the round about who scored on a certain hole, you can give a doubt free answer! Hope that makes sense!

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry, I assumed it was matchplay! If's its a betterball medal/stableford then it's just 3/4s of the handicap not the difference. So you would get 8
your partner would get 14
11hcp would get 8
12hcp would get 9

and you would just take the best nett score on each hole in each pairing! when marking the card make sure to mark the correct player in the correct column i.e. Column A is 11hcp when he scores on the hole the gross score goes in column A, when 12hcp scores the gross score goes in column B.

My tip is to write either yours or your partners first initial next to the markers scores for each hole, this is to help if there is ever a query at the end of the round about who scored on a certain hole, you can give a doubt free answer! Hope that makes sense!

it is matchplay, thanks for this, you have made it clear,

happy golfing
Mike B

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site
You take the difference from the lowest handicapper.

So you being the low handicapper will get 0
their 11 handicapper will get 1 (0.75 rounded off)
their 12 handicapper will get 2 (1.5 rounded off)
and your partner will get 7 (6.75 rounded off)

Cookelad, last question/clarification !

partner plays of 19 so that would be 9 then in matchplay (not 7) ? as it is the lowest hcapper regardless of what pairing he is in,

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

partner plays of 19 so that would be 9 then in matchplay (not 7) ? as it is the lowest hcapper regardless of what pairing he is in,

No, it will be 7 as 3/4 of 9 (19 - 10) is 6.75 which is rounded up.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site

9 is the difference between your handicaps you've got to 3/4 it down to 6.75 so rounds off to 7 all three differences are 3/4ed but only his shows a difference in allowance. If you were playing 15 & 16 handicappers then they would only receive 4(15) & 5(16).