Help narrow down wedge options

talksalot81

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have been in the market for new wedges for some time and, with summer coming, it is time to get the finger out.

At present I have my PW at 46 degrees and I have a nike gap wedge and ram troon grind 58 deg. The nike is fine but old. The Ram is my favourite and least favourite club - it has almost no bounce. The importance of the last point is that I am a digger, I take big divots and my number one 'fail' is getting fat on a short club.

How I use my wedges - I really only get inventive with the most lofted wedge. With gap wedge, it will be used exactly like a pitching wedge. It may be used for chipping, but I won't care to open it up as I would just go with a more lofted club if I felt that was needed. It would occasionally get sand use, for a longer bunker shot. The sand wedge would probably be used in the same way but obviously would get routine sand use (I actually have no problem with sand play with low bounce, but I guess more would make it easier). The lob wedge would get the fun shots played. I would play full shots but want to be able to open it up. Experience tells me that I still need a dose of bounce.

I do have room for 4 wedges and I was thinking 50/54/58. With the above info, I was assuming I want a fairly standard grind on the 50 and 54 degrees and a healthy amount of bounce (14 perhaps) on the 54. The 58 I presume would need a bit less bounce but have one of the fancy grinds to help with opening it up.

Does that all sound reasonable? What options would anyone recommend?

Many thanks

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hey - there a couple of other wedge threads on here in the last few days that might provide something useful if you search for them.

I'm also a digger and just got some Cleveland RTX Wedges in 50,54 & 58 lofts. Bounce is 10, 14 and 12 as far as I remember. I would probably like the 58 to have a bit less bounce but they came as a set of 3 for a good price so didn't have that option!

I use the 50 for full shots like yourself, 54 will be full shots/bunker play and 58 is my 'fun' club for opening up, deep bunkers, green side mishaps!

I also tried Vokey SM5's, Callaway mack Daddy and have some Bridgestone J40's if you want any feedback on any of them.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I bought a set of Callaway V forged wedges, 50, 54, & 58 degrees, with the C grind, possibly the best wedges I've used from the bunkers however with 10,11 & 10 degrees bounce, playing on soft park land ground I found my old TM 12 degree bounce wedges to be much more consistent and far less prone to digging or going underneath the ball.

I find that 12 degrees gives just enough bounce to get the best of both worlds without limiting your ability to open the club face to play a variety of shots around the bunkers

talksalot81

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks guys, I will do more of a search.

I suppose I had mainly looked at vokeys and callaway. With my use of the gap wedge, is bounce going to be important? The mack daddy has 12 degrees of bounce, which seems like a lot (vokey has an 8 and a 12 degree option). On the sand wedge, mack daddy again has only the 14 degree option but vokey has 3 options - given I am a digger (although have no special trouble in bunkers), is the F-grind the boy for me? The lob is the more interesting one... suppose it just needs tried to be know. How do you guys do this? Almost all the shops here have artificial mats and they play nothing like soft turf, at least when it comes to a chunky dig!

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Bounce certainly helps if you tend to dig at the ball, but it's also worth remembering that no amount of bounce can correct a fat shot. If you hit it fat, then you've hit the ground before the ball - plain and simple.
What wedge you require may also depend on the ground conditions you play on - your Troon Grind for example (lovely club BTW) is primarily for hard links courses with it's narrow low bounce sole to "nip" balls off firm lies. If you play on softer parkland courses, a wider sole with more bounce may help if you're a digger. Something like a Vokey K grind fits this sort of combination, but I'd recommend a fitting for wedges if you can. Vokeys wedge selection guide can help you identifying the correct sole configuration for your swing style and ground conditions:
http://www.vokey.com/wedge-selection/wedge-selection-guide.aspx

RobRob

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After being lucky enough to go for the cleveland fitting (thanks GM!!) I really recommend them plus they will look at what distance you hit your PW and your GW then help you choose what lofts to choose, what bounce, what shaft, to get the right amount of spin and the best distance gaps.