Hello all, advice please.

HartleyHare

Assistant Pro
Visit site
First of all i'm new on here (be gentle with me!!) so hello all.

I'm a relative newbie, been playing for under 12 months, just joined a club and in the process of getting my handicap.

right, advice please.

I bought a cheapish package set when i started hacking at a golf ball, now i'm a taking it a little more seriously (and at a better standard, i hope) i thought i'd invest in a slightly more advanced set up.

went to nevada bobs and after trying several drivers and a couple of different iron options i'm now the proud owner of a Benross Velo-ct driver, a set of MD golf superstrong gunmetal irons 3 - PW and a decent ram cart bag, all for £270!!

i am happy with my putter and i have a 60 degree LW that's okay.

my question is what is the best way to finish my golf bag??

i was considering a 3 wood, 5 wood/hybrid and a gap wedge.

which is the better option 5 wood or hybrid??
and what are the clubs of choice, bearing in mind i'm looking at no more than £100-£150 for the three???

any advice would be greatly received.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

I have both a 5 wood and a hybrid, I get about 220 from my 5 wood and 200 with my hybrid. If I was you I would get the hybrid because if you are anything like me you will struggle with your long irons.

You can get some real good deals at online golf . I can recommend the Wilson Staff Dh6 hybrid from Affordable Golf for about £49, it goes miles but aint the most forgiving.

Gap wedge I have a Nicklaus dual slot 60 degree it was about £50 new in American Golf and does its job well but will eat soft balls like the DX2 in one shot.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
gap wedge could be anything from 50 - 54, depends on the loft of your pitching wedge and sand wedge. aim to get one mid-way between the two.

hybrid is a good club to have, probably a 4-h.

best bet, go to nevada bobs, american golf, and try a few - don't limit your choice by your budget as you might find the ones you like cheaper online.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, is there any reason why you couldn't get all 3? HTL has highlighted a good hybrid for £50 and I am sure you could find a decent 3 wood and 5 wood for £50 each also and you will have kept within the £150 barrier you mentioned. In fact I have just checked and onlinegolf are selling the mizuno F50 with a graphite shaft for £50 so that may be worth a look.

If it has to be a choice of one of them though and you hit your driver pretty well then I would go for the hybrid.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd never go out on the course myself without a 3 wood.

I'd have a look at Benross V6 trimass at online golf. I guess they are doing the velo-CT in 3 wood also.

A decent 3 wood is a must in my book.

HartleyHare

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies fellas.

my current 3wood (that i hit pretty well) will be going when i sell my original set on, so i'm definitely going to replace that.
i suppose my real question was, which 2 outta these 3 are the best to have in my bag: 5wood, hybrid, gap wedge.

Cheers

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Hi HH,
Th best to keep imo is the Hybrid, I have a 5 wood but never use it, the same goes for when I had a 60 degree, I use a pw, 52, sw and if I need a higher loft which is hardly never I have learnt to open the club up and this saves an extra club. Your hybrid can be an asset as if your driver fails you they are great to tee off with (my mate gets 230 easy with a Wilson deep red 19degree) and it helps you for chip and runs also fairway play. If you can recommend any give me a shout.