Hawkeye

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm a bit bemused by the fact that at Wimbledon they have a device which can tell, every time, whether the ball is in or out, yet they still rely on human line-judges, and the players are only allowed two or three challenges per set to <u>find out the truth about a close call.</u>

Why not just scrap the human line judges and use Hawkeye all the time?

No more line judges getting hit by a fast moving ball.
No more pauses in the game where the players watch a screen and the crowd goes, "oooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOO".
No more questions about calls.

Or is that a very non-traditionalist suggestion?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If they can use this technology in Tennis and Cricket, why can't they do it for football?

Should they scrap the line judges?
No. Scrap Hawkeye and go back to having to accept that you may get a bad call - they'll even themselves out over a year.
Life's not meant to be fair.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never understood Hawkeye - take cricket once the ball hit the pad it stops...it could have gone anywhere in the space between the pad and the stumps, and surely if it done by computer then you could make it either miss or hit the stumps if you really wanted to?

Tennis I can accept as the ball actually bounces but cricket....

If we had it in football, what would Sky and the papers have to talk about if there were no dodgy decisions....

IM01

Challenge Tour Pro
www.goswicklinksgc.co.uk
Hawkeye was the difference between Serena Williams winning and losing...2 balls called out where reversed in her favour using the technology.

I'm sure the players are happy with the use of hawkeye as it delivers the correct results.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hate all this technology in sport. I hope to god they never cring in video replays or cams on lines in football. Lets stay traditional, there is much more excitement!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
It really is a non-discussion. The AELTC have decided to use Hawkeye, they've done this after discussion with players/committee the LTA + the ATP.

It is not possible to use it for every point....is it fairer than trusting human judgement?....yes.

Should a player lose a break point with a ball going out that no-one's seen?...no.

Base-line calls are very hard to read....even sat in the umpires chair.

Ideal solution supported by almost everyone.

- - - -

Should it be used for football?.....I think so, but then again I think yellow/red cards ought to be "removable" or "upgradable" after a match if a player or manager wants to look into a dubious decision. You CAN have your cake and eat it with these things....anything that removes doubt has got to be good.