Votes: 7 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 45 86.5%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 15344

Quick straw poll after a discussion that was had yesterday

We have seen our “social” rounds increase a little in terms of time taken

One of the discussion points was people more regularly putting in social cards which meant less “gimmies” etc and people treating the round a bit more seriously and hence taking the time a bit more

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have yet to play with anyone who has been putting a card in outside of a comp so this has simply not been a thing. It is either a comp, so card is done, or social game in which case it is purely for fun and a card is not kept, unless for interest.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
No reason why it should in the era of ready golf. People not being ready to play or leaving clubs on the wrong side of greens is not down to WHS.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It does make a longer round when someone is doing a card in a social round during 4BBB games where instead of picking up they put everything out.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I dont think its made play slower - but filling in the damn card with 3 different handicaps is now getting tedious.

I wonder if just inserting a rule of "pick up if over net double" would speed up play - not possible in stroke play I know. But many at my place would play on knowing they cant score therefore slowing play.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I would guess that, in a 3 ball, an extra couple of shots a hole that are short putts might add 5 minutes to a round and any searches will likely go the full 3 minutes before giving up rather than a minute/chuck another one down but thats unlikely to add more than 5.
That 10 minutes is hard to pinpoint as "extra time" over the round of 4 hours.....
We're not seeing rounds extended because of WHS..it's more to do with clowns not letting groups through and generally being slow anyway

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
At our place, although a lot more general play rounds are being submitted for handicap now each day than they were "pre-app" (and it is the app that is the cause...not the WHS itself) the number is still relatively insignificant as a proportion of all general play rounds played in a day...we cant say that we've seen any difference in pace of play.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I don't know what the numbers were pre WHS but in the last 6 months members at Ellesborough have submitted more than 4350 Casual scores and just over 3000 competition scores.
I doubt we had anywhere near 4300 supplementaries in 6 months so a large increase in counting rounds and no real apparent increase in round times.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have yet to play with anyone who has been putting a card in outside of a comp so this has simply not been a thing. It is either a comp, so card is done, or social game in which case it is purely for fun and a card is not kept, unless for interest.

Same here.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would guess that, in a 3 ball, an extra couple of shots a hole that are short putts might add 5 minutes to a round and any searches will likely go the full 3 minutes before giving up rather than a minute/chuck another one down but thats unlikely to add more than 5.
That 10 minutes is hard to pinpoint as "extra time" over the round of 4 hours.....
We're not seeing rounds extended because of WHS..it's more to do with clowns not letting groups through and generally being slow anyway
Yes it's not WHS that's slowed our rounds down, it's the club not having the seeded start any longer and a few of the slowest people at the club now want to play early, where they couldn't before. Used to always play at 9 and it rarely took longer than 3 and a quarter, now 4 appears to be the norm. And these are guys that don't know that letting anyone through is a thing

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Certainly not for me since none of my mates ever put a card in on a non-comp round anyway. Even if we did I can't see it adding much more than 5-10 minutes per round for the extra putts.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
People are definitely taking more time over the short putts, spending the full time looking for wayward shots etc, but as someone has also commented increased newbies couple with courses packing in tee times are the biggest factor. Courses are backing up very very quickly.

For some who are at fully members only at weekends courses this may not be as evident, but those playing full p&p or even a members course that allows a certain amount of p&p will feel the pain more.

I’d like to see a limit per casual cards in a month as this system can be manipulated either way to suit matches or meet league HC requirements. It’s very easy to sit on the brink and increase / decrease you HC by a a shot week in week out, if you’re cut from that cloth.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes it's not WHS that's slowed our rounds down, it's the club not having the seeded start any longer and a few of the slowest people at the club now want to play early, where they couldn't before. Used to always play at 9 and it rarely took longer than 3 and a quarter, now 4 appears to be the norm. And these are guys that don't know that letting anyone through is a thing

How does a seeded start guarantee quicker rounds? From my observations being a lower handicapper does not guarantee a quicker round.

D

Deleted member 21258

We have been doing alot more scoring rounds as cards, before we did none socially(tend to play when course is empty).

Not noticed any difference in our speed of play, even though we are now putting the ball in the hole each time(unless blob) and taking more shots as a result.

Typically we are 2.45-3.10 as 2 ball/3 ball rates. Same as before. Bit of a surprise and not really thought about this until your post.