Hardest course you have ever played?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23270

I've played some tough tracks in my time but I think Valderrama has to be up there for me. The overhanging cork trees lining the fairways often mean you can still be blocked out from the fairway. Add in the super slick greens and it's a very strong test of golf.

Toughest courses you've played?

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In 2015 I went up to watch the final day of the Open at St Andrews. The Saturday of that Open had to be called off because of very high winds.

Despite the fact that the winds were too high for the pros to play, me and my mates foolishly went to play Gullane Golf Course. Hardest golf ever. Never mind affecting normal swinging - the wind was even blowing my arms off line when I was putting!

Had a good time though! Lovely course.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Any course I play for the first time!

Hankley was hard, but mainly because I was playing crap.
On a normal day I reckon I could post a reasonable score there.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Hardest in terms of layout (bunkering/rough/length etc.) for me was Carnoustie

Hardest in terms of Environment (Wind/Rain) coupled with layout was Baildon in a monsoon driven by some ferocious winds. It is right up on the moors in Yorkshire and it was unpleasant!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I wonder if the question should be "the hardest course you've ever played when you're playing ok" as I've played so badly on some easier courses and well on courses, mentioned here by others, like Wentworth West to name but one.

The hardest test for me has been the International course at the London Club the 1st time of trying

D

Deleted member 23270

The difficulty of a course doesn't change depending on how you playing. Hankley isn't particularly difficult, the fairways are very generous and it isn't long. St Mellion on the other hand is difficult, narrow fairways and some long par 4's.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Has too be Royal Troon in any sort of wind.

Back 9 is absolutely brutal, more so than Carnoustie. It's a brilliant test of golf that really chews you up and spits you out!

D

Deleted member 18588

Royal St George's and the wind wasn't even that strong.

Mind you the rough was brutal. Can't imagine what it might have been like had I not had the benefit of a caddie.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of the hardest I recall, is Formby, there are red tees but they are not based on ladies distances for par rating some of the pars 4s seem very and long I couldn't get near the greens in regulation. Its a super course but I found it a bit of a slog.
That said it was a few years since I played it so I would like to play it again.