Hard Decision

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I'll get to the point, currently play out a great wee club, lots of good people and I have a regular group I play with and I enjoy it. Only downside is the courses are owned by the council so the club has no say over maintenance of the courses and the council put as little in as possibly. Overall the condition is ok in the summer, though the bunkers and greens are never that great, I play off scratch and find the condition frustrating at times as bunkers are left unraked lots of pitch marks greens lacking in maintenance over winter months. I can join a private club down the road, don't really know anyone there but it's a well known links course always in great condition and its not that much more expensive as i qualify for intermediate membership. What would you do ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Go for the better course...
But bear in mind you'll still probably find pitch marks and unraked bunkers. They're not restricted to Munis..

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If the current course bugs you it will only increase. If the finances don't matter I'd make the change, you'll soon fit in.

You can always get your mates to play as guests or every now and again play at your old course.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
It's not really about the money, more so about not really knowing anybody there. The bunkers where I play 65 percent don't have rakes so people use their club a lot of the time, the greens can be very bumpy and rant maintained to the standard they should be because of cost. They are very well known courses and good courses aswell but just the council treat them as cash cows and don't invest what they should in them. As I say I'd miss the people but I'm sure there are good people at every club

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Condition of a course is absolutely paramount in my opinion, if you have a choice that's close by it'd be a no brainer for me, particularly the level you're playing at.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah I have been told this and also know I'd probably maybe be better off putting on smoother greens and not playing out of dodgy bunkers lol and I'm 90 percent leaning towards moving though there is a small area of doubt in my mind. Both courses are 25 minutes drive from me as I drive to the coast so I can play year round

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
No a couple of them are members of better inland clubs but mostly play at the links course because of year round playability and the others are long time members so not really interested in moving

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’d have to move if it was me. That course sounds like it would really grate on me.

Do you know anyone at all at the new club? If not, I’m sure you’d find a sound group of people soon enough.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What links course is it?

Only asking because there may be members of it in here?

At least then you could have a foot in the door with regards to new Pp’s

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great course, go for it.

If you pla6 off scratch I am sure you will be welcomed with open arms and expect you will make the scratch team so little problem in making friends.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah it's a very good course and all the rest of it, just feels a bit sad thinking about probably leaving as I have good memories from the club. I suppose sometimes you have to make a decision to benefit yourself though

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Yeah it's a very good course and all the rest of it, just feels a bit sad thinking about probably leaving as I have good memories from the club. I suppose sometimes you have to make a decision to benefit yourself though

I did this about 7 years ago. Didn't like the direction the club was taking and the way it was being run so left for the nearest club, despite all the advice not to and not really knowing anyone beyond my proposer & seconder. Seven years on don't miss the old place, have only been back once (as a freebie), have plenty of opportunities for a game and quite a few have followed. If you qualify for intermediate membership I'd do it now; if you really don't get on you'll have time to go back & pick up where you left off.