Happy 150th

Pro_V_wan_kenobi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well forum it’s here again, The Open Championship, and not just any old championship, it’s the 150th Birthday of the Open . Can it get any better?
Yes, it’s at St Andrews.
It is 32 years since I first traveled to St Andrews to watch the final round in 1978. I was definitely part of “Jacks Pack” as we raced from tee to green and green to tee trying to gain a vantage point, a cycle that ended by climbing a lamppost outside the Edinburgh Woolen Mill shop which used to be by the 18th green. What a place to watch the great man on the greatest golf course in the world.
Could it get any better?
Yes it did 7 years later
Seve turned the 18th green into a bull ring as he celebrated with the crowd after overcoming Watson and Langer by two shots, amazing scenes, never to be forgotten. Could Seve be the most exciting golfer ever to have graced the championship?
20 Years ago, 1980 Nick Faldo won his second open at St Andrews and won me 50 pounds on an each way bet. Well done Nick.
Its fifteen years since Costantino Rocca fluffed his chip on the 72nd hole at St Andrews. Who can forget the scene as the poor man watched his ball trickle into the valley of sin only to astound and delight us all by sinking a snake of a putt to force a play off with John (Wild Thing) Daly. It didn’t go too well for the amiable Italian that year being comprehensively beaten by the big hitting bad boy over a four hole play off. I wonder if it could be Italy’s year. Edoardo Molinari will be arriving at the home of golf , not only, as the European Tour's newest champion but in the company of his wee brother Francesco, who is chasing that coveted Ryder Cup place. You just never know!
The next two St Andrews opens were won by an unknown American but I have no time to warble on any longer as it is 05:30 and Paul Laurie is due on the tee in one hour. Time to have my Frosties and get the waterproofs on, have you seen the rain out there? Here we go again!

B

birdieman

Anyone would think you're excited to be at the Open! :rolleyes:

Have been considering going either tomorrow or Saturday but the weather is putting me off, £60 plus petrol and overpriced burgers etc on the course seems a lot of wonga too, could get a nice new wedge for that. :eek:

Shame on me! :rolleyes: