handicaps

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
up until last may i was a member of a golf club,had an official handicap of 16.6, just wanted to know if my handicap is still valid now that i have left the club, also apart from asking the club is there anywhere i can get a copy of my handicap certificate ????

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
My guess is that it is still valid to be used as a starting handicap at a new course or to gain access to play a nice course (where you need to show a certificate).

However most clubs now have a concept of "active" handicaps and as far as I know unless you have an "active" handicap you cannot enter comps. Or at least you cannot win any comps.

To gain an active handicap perhaps you will need to play at least 3 qualifying competitions at your new course.

I might be wrong on this though.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
also apart from asking the club is there anywhere i can get a copy of my handicap certificate ????

If your handicap is either still showing at your old club, or has been transferred to your new club and is showing on HowdidIdo, you can print a copy of your certificate from there.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
if it was valid last May you should have an EGU number, ours were given when we renewed last year. If so I'm fairly sure that you can check through their website.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The way I read it is that the OP is no longer a member of a golf club. If that's the case, then surely he would no longer have a valid handicap?

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
The way I read it is that the OP is no longer a member of a golf club. If that's the case, then surely he would no longer have a valid handicap?

I read it that way too. Even if you have a handicap certificate the handicap is no longer valid for competition play once you are no longer a member of a club.

If you join another within a reasonable timescale then most clubs would allocate the same handicap without the need for 3 cards unless there was some reason not to, effectively handling it as a handicap transfer.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If you join another within a reasonable timescale then most clubs would allocate the same handicap without the need for 3 cards unless there was some reason not to, effectively handling it as a handicap transfer.

I agree, I thnk most clubs will give 6 months of elapsed membership as grace. They can,of course, phone the old club to check that the certificate is correct.

Chris

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought handicaps remain valid for a period

http://www.club2000.co.uk/?stub=Home&slug=help-support,congu-handicapping-questions,inactivehandicaps

As to the EGU number - it's the Central Database of Handicaps unique number which continues to be a player’s ID as long as he or she remains a member of an affiliated golf club. So if your club was signed up you may have one though it might have lapsed depending on how long you've been adrift.
http://www.golfbusinessnews.com/news/man...e-of-handicaps/

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I thought handicaps remain valid for a period

http://www.club2000.co.uk/?stub=Home&slug=help-support,congu-handicapping-questions,inactivehandicaps

As to the EGU number - it's the Central Database of Handicaps unique number which continues to be a player’s ID as long as he or she remains a member of an affiliated golf club. So if your club was signed up you may have one though it might have lapsed depending on how long you've been adrift.
http://www.golfbusinessnews.com/news/man...e-of-handicaps/

An inactive handicap is a valid handicap maintained by a club. If you leave the club then you are removed from the computer and you no handicap. I'm not sure what this will do to your record at the CDH as it only came in last year and haven't seen it in action in this scenario. However, if you are not a member of a club you are not a member of the EGU so housekeeping may be delayed but it won't be valid in the meantime.

In practice, most clubs leave it a while before removing a lapsed member but as above, this does not mean the handicap is valid until they do. If you are not a member of an affiliated club, you have no valid handicap, period.