Handicap

Neilo

Visit site
My club has a winter handicap which reverts back to exact handicap when clocks go forward. If I leave the club now do I take the winter handicap or my exact one

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club has a winter handicap which reverts back to exact handicap when clocks go forward. If I leave the club now do I take the winter handicap or my exact one
You must tell your new club your CDH ID. They will transfer your record from your old club to your new club and that will include your correct CONGU handicap (ie your exact).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Winter hcp - why?
Our club does this. It means we run comps through the winter with preferred lies, forward tees, bunkers gur if necessary and everyone just gets on with it. Your winter handicap adjusts as normal through that time but then reverts back to your exact handicap come the start of the season. It's a relaxed way to play through winter when the weather can be a bit rubbish, course in not great condition. I like the system.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Our club does this. It means we run comps through the winter with preferred lies, forward tees, bunkers gur if necessary and everyone just gets on with it. Your winter handicap adjusts as normal through that time but then reverts back to your exact handicap come the start of the season. It's a relaxed way to play through winter when the weather can be a bit rubbish, course in not great condition. I like the system.
How is the winter handicap determined..?

Diamond

Visit site
Sorry to crash the thread but if zip hand in my 3 signed cards tomorrow I am assuming I will get a handicap and also and ID. I can then apply for my county card using the ID?

D

Deleted member 16999

We go on Winter Handicaps:
Everyone starts with their “proper” handicap on 01 Nov or nearest saturday when we move to Winter tees, shorter course, preferred lies and teeing up!
Alternate 4BBB and Ind Stab Comps on sat/sun until April.
Winners get cut 15%, Runners Up cut 10%.

First weekend in April or when conditions allow we move back to normal tees and everyone reverts to “proper” handicap.

All Winter Comps are non-qualifiers as course set up/Comp rules don’t meet qualifying criteria.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is it not the same for everyone though?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it not the same for everyone though?
Everyone in our club, yes. We all change at the same time, both ways.

Do you mean other clubs run proper comps all year round with the same set up? I presume with us it allows the greenkeeper to set the odd teeing area that has not been measured in order to give the regular tee areas a break.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How is the winter handicap determined..?
It starts as the same as your summer one. You then go up or down based on your comp scores, always stableford. I assume they alter as per normal handicaps. I've only gone up this winter, 0.1 each time, so I can't confirm if you get cut by greater than 0.1 if you have a good score. I would guess so.

Once the season starts again we reset back to the handicap we finished the previous season on and the winter handicap is cleared away, forgotten forever ?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We just have the one hcp. There arent many changes for winter medals, apart from lift and place on closely mown, tee mats which are generally at the back of each tee box and changing to stableford for the Dec,Jan and Feb medals.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry to crash the thread but if zip hand in my 3 signed cards tomorrow I am assuming I will get a handicap and also and ID. I can then apply for my county card using the ID?
Yours cards will only count if 'Qualifying Conditions' are in force at your club. At this time of year they sometimes do not pertain.
Other than that, you should be able to apply for a County Card

sunshine

Visit site

Don't think you need a handicap to get a county card, just need to be a member of a club in the scheme. Ask your club sec.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Why not just run these competitions as non qualifiers ? Would save a lot of faffing about.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Never heard of a winter handicap before. Is it Congu advice, or even allowed to do so ?

With us, handicaps are the official one all year round. In the winter, (apart from the annual review), no increases are applied, but reductions to the official hc are applied even though the comps are non qualifying. Effectively general play adjustments for people who win or have high placings in several comps. But that stays their official CHD handicap even when qualifying golf resumes.