Handicap too low

Oliviaboos

Hacker
Visit site
Back in 2013 I had a glorious game of golf when the course was dry and balls travelled far and was cut to 14. Since then I've never played to my handicap. Each time I play I go up .1. I eventually wrote to the handicap committe and they refused to do anything until the next year 2016 when they put me up one shot, even though I'd been unable to play for 6 months due to a broken arm. Unfortunately I only play about 7 games a year but it's become so demoralising that I didn't play in any competitions since Nov 2016 but am still 17c. Is there anyway I can get my handicap reset? The ladies section who look after handicaps don't seem to be interested in helping even though I can't break 100.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
7 games a year? Is this medal rounds or total?

I'd say you need to play more, and don't put pressure on yourself to score in competition rounds. It's not a lot of golf to expect a good score when the card is in the hip pocket.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Heyup Olivia me duck and welcome to the forum. Am sure somone will ba along shortly and give you some sound advice. 👍
Wheres your club, there might be a member of two on here.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just outta interest, was your handicap altered over the winter during the annual review which every handicapped golfer has.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Back in 2013 I had a glorious game of golf when the course was dry and balls travelled far and was cut to 14. Since then I've never played to my handicap. Each time I play I go up .1. I eventually wrote to the handicap committe and they refused to do anything until the next year 2016 when they put me up one shot, even though I'd been unable to play for 6 months due to a broken arm. Unfortunately I only play about 7 games a year but it's become so demoralising that I didn't play in any competitions since Nov 2016 but am still 17c. Is there anyway I can get my handicap reset? The ladies section who look after handicaps don't seem to be interested in helping even though I can't break 100.

If the club treating you that badly could you join a new one and start again?

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your handicap will now be inactive as you have not played the requisite amount of qualifying rounds in 2017, as you said no comps since 2016. So now you have to put in 3 cards to obtain an active handicap so it will sort its self out.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It would appear from your comments that you do not have competition status, denoted by c after your handicap. You can regain this status after submitting 3 qualifying scores. From January this year you are able to submit a Supplementary Score every time you play which count towards you handicap.

Before reallocating a c staus the Handicap comitte must review your handicap (they might need a reminder of this rule).

Failing them doing that, once you have incurred 7 0.1 increases in a row they again must review your handicap.

If they fail to review your handicap after those two instances they must have an appeals process in place and if you do not agree with their decision you can appeal to county.

From January this year you are able to submit a supplementary score every time you play. Once you have 7 0.1 increases consecutively in the same year the handicap committee must review your handicap.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One last thing where I play we require payers to have submitted at least 7 qualifying scores (comps or supplementaries) before we will carry out a requested handicap review because there is simply too little information to go on.

Oliviaboos

Hacker
Visit site
Your handicap will now be inactive as you have not played the requisite amount of qualifying rounds in 2017, as you said no comps since 2016. So now you have to put in 3 cards to obtain an active handicap so it will sort its self out.

I have a c against my handicap which indicates it is active. The problem is I don't play enough competitions so putting in 3 cards will only get me a .3 increase.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Except that it will be the previous handicap that is reactivated, adjusted for the three rounds played in reactivating it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a c against my handicap which indicates it is active. The problem is I don't play enough competitions so putting in 3 cards will only get me a .3 increase.

As said you can put in a supplementary score card every time you play. Supplementary score cards count the same towards your handicap as those played in singles comps.

Oliviaboos

Hacker
Visit site
The handicaps are run by the ladies section and not the club. I've appealed to the General Manager who says it's up to the ladies. If I move club though I have to take my handicap with me but I think that might be my next move.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
7 games a year? Is this medal rounds or total?

I'd say you need to play more, and don't put pressure on yourself to score in competition rounds. It's not a lot of golf to expect a good score when the card is in the hip pocket.

If the club treating you that badly could you join a new one and start again?
These suggestions are none too helpful.

Oliviaboos

Hacker
Visit site
Hi there. No my handicap does have a c against it and is active apparently. My main issue is the system is designed for regular players. I rarely do 7 comps in a year due to work and caring commitments. I've played more in 2016 and had more lessons and practice than ever but it made no difference to my game at all.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The handicaps are run by the ladies section and not the club. I've appealed to the General Manager who says it's up to the ladies. If I move club though I have to take my handicap with me but I think that might be my next move.

Handicaps should be controlled by a handicap committee not a section although the section could have a member on the main committee. Talk to the main HC committee however you appear to have very little infor for them to work on, play more Qs and chuck in some supplementary cards.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Seems rather defeatist. Happy when its going well and suddenly now your not managing to play enough/regularly enough to maintain your handicap and its toys out the pram.

As Bob said, practice and a few lessons are the only "real" answer. Sorry is you don't like that or can't commit to that.