Handicap of a "good" player

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm more interested in how they swing than their handicap, seen plenty of shockers off low handicaps. Would I trade my swing for their score.....no chance.

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
I know plenty off 5 , myself included, who can have 5 bad rounds to every good one. The difference is the good one is close to or under par and gets the handicap right back down. Every shot lower than 5 the player increases consistency. Used to play with a guy off 5 who was simply the worst 5 handicap I'd ever seen, he'd go up, get to 5.4 then wait months until he was playing well before playing in a qualifier, and I'm talking regularly shooting in the 80's. I'd say the cut off is 2 before you become excellent. Cat 1 covers a massive range of abilities. I know I could beat anyone down to 2 on a given day but if you averaged our rounds over the season the 2 handicap would be miles lower.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think i read somewhere that for every handicap on a bad days shooting they average 6 shots worse than their handicap......
To me a good player is a Cat 1 handicapper......
Iv played 8 times this year with a scratch player (+1).......
When he is off he's all over the course..... But his ability to be able to save par is ridiculous...... His short game from 100 yards in is pin point accurate...... But he can be inconsistent.......

Iv also played with a Pal off of 2..... He has a beautiful swing..... He's not the longest but is easily able to play to the 2.....
If you were to see both of these play together you'd swear the handicaps were the wrong way round.....

I think anyone that can maintain a Cat 1 handicap is a Good player.......

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm more interested in how they swing than their handicap, seen plenty of shockers off low handicaps. Would I trade my swing for their score.....no chance.

Seriously?

You'd rather have a textbook swing and score 80 than an "octopus falling out of a tree" swing but score 70...?

Golf is a game of numbers not pictures.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Really? I played with a guy in a national competition last year who had the most awful grip, setup, swing etc yet he plays off +2

Surely you've heard the expression "It's not how, it's how many" ??

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Honestly I thought from 5 downwards were pretty close. 20 yrs ago I played scratch league matches, never lost by the margin of the handicap. Also when your talking about 5 strokes or less to the course it pretty much I meaningless you can give or take 5 meaning a level par round is easily possible. In this day and age I don't know, when I am on form I will shoot a low score, sometimes lower than the + handicappers and I am to some here an ordinary 6. So the point is saying such and such a handicap is good or bad isn't right, the score is what dictates good or bad. So in my book if you can shoot 1 or 2 over par or better then your very good, irrespective of what Congu says you are.

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
Originally Posted by SaintHacker
"Reading this thread makes me feel completely ostracised, a fairway leper"

Posted by Old Skier
"Do you join in
Do you enjoy yourself
Do you have a pint at the end of the round
At our club that would make you a good golfer."

Saint Hacker,
I played in a Seniors (inter-club) comp today.
I'm off 28, the other three were 18 and under - 1 Cat 2, 2 Cat 3.
My partner and I won and I made my contribution.
The handshakes on 18 were genuine and later we clinked our glasses in the clubhouse to "Great company and a great afternoon" and it was heartfelt. I might be lucky but I've yet to play with anyone who's been less than encouraging.

Old Skier,
:cheers:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
its quite amazing how poor ball strikers some are yet 'score' well with an excellent short game. I played with a 1 capper numerous times in comps and it beggars belief how he attained that h/cap.

You summed up my golf career in 2 lines :D :D

Course management is king!!.... and knowing roughly where your ball is going to go :p

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Originally Posted by SaintHacker
"Reading this thread makes me feel completely ostracised, a fairway leper"

Posted by Old Skier
"Do you join in
Do you enjoy yourself
Do you have a pint at the end of the round
At our club that would make you a good golfer."

Saint Hacker,
I played in a Seniors (inter-club) comp today.
I'm off 28, the other three were 18 and under - 1 Cat 2, 2 Cat 3.
My partner and I won and I made my contribution.
The handshakes on 18 were genuine and later we clinked our glasses in the clubhouse to "Great company and a great afternoon" and it was heartfelt. I might be lucky but I've yet to play with anyone who's been less than encouraging.

Old Skier,
:cheers:

Thanks. My original post was a tongue in cheek reply aimed at everyone turning their nose up plus 18 players. I too have played with, and occasionally beaten, so very good golfers, and as you say we have shaken hands and had a drink afterwards.

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was once told I have the "sexiest swing ever" by a fellow competitor. Difficult to know how to react to such a remark..but hopefully qualifies me as a good swinger if not player.

Last edited: