Handicap calculation please can this be checked

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am just about to put my first three cards in to get my handicap, I am fairly sure I have read that anything over two over par on each hole is ignored, so I have adjusted my scores and come up with the following

100 adjusted/par 71
102 adjusted/par 72
98 adjusted/par 72

I realise the handicap is going to be 28, but this is where I am at the moment, and I don't see the point in waiting, or do you think I shouldn't bother?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just get 'em in and be done with it.

Unless you've cocked up, they'll take the 98 and give you whatever that means.

Then, 28 or not, you have a handicap! Be happy. :)

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Exactly Dave, thats what I want, but a friend wont put cards in that aren't his best, whereas mine are the last three rounds. I can't see the point in only picking out the best as it wont be representative of his normal ability.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unless my maths is way out, 98-72=26 so you will be off 26.

IF it's worked out on 72. How can we know? Ours is par 70 SSS 69, so a 98 would put a player off 29 (if that was possible), so it'd be 28.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Exactly Dave, thats what I want, but a friend wont put cards in that aren't his best, whereas mine are the last three rounds. I can't see the point in only picking out the best as it wont be representative of his normal ability.

I'd suggest to anyone (in the strongest possible terms) NOT to try and time the cards so as to put in the absolute BEST cards. That was the mistake I made 4 years ago, and regret it bitterly.

I went to the range 10+ times over 3 weeks, put in some hours on the short game and putting. Consequently, the cards represented my game at that time based on what I could do with lots of practise etc.etc.

I realise people want lower h'caps, but it's not much fun never realistically being in with a chance.

If I'd just gone and played, I'd have got 16 or something, not 11.5. It's not cheating (i.m.o.) it's accepting you are what you are and then let the h'cap come down if you are on a general downward move. It took me over a year to play to 11 or better. If they'd put me off 16 and suddenly I'd gone round to 11 and made 41 points, I still wouldn't have won in most comps.

Play crap on purpose = cheating
Play normal = fair h'cap
Try for 3 "best cards" = fair h'cap BUT based on being "in form"....

I know which I'd recommend.

I hope this makes sense, it's a topic that I care about.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unless my maths is way out, 98-72=26 so you will be off 26.

Nothing wrong with your maths, but when will people realise that handicaps are gauged against SSS and not against par.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didn't realise it was SSS, thanks for that. The SSS is 71 and 69.

Do you mean your first card was against par 71, SSS 69 (presume yellow tees) and the other 2 against par 72, SSS 71 (presume white tees)?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Both yellows, but yes 69/71 and 71/72

I'm confused now.

You listed 3 rounds, 1 against par 71 and 2 against par 72, then you say both were yellows. Which were yellows, all 3 or the 2 par 72s?

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sorry, didn't make myself clear, we have two courses at my club, so two different courses, one round on one, and two on the other.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry, didn't make myself clear, we have two courses at my club, so two different courses, one round on one, and two on the other.

That raises an interesting point. I would have thought that nearly 100% of initial handicap allocations would be based on 3 cards played on the same course. I can't see anything against it, however, as both courses are presumably run by one affiliated club.

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
They are indeed run by the same club, at the same venue so never thought it would be an issue, the only reason they are not all the same course was that there was a competition on last week and we couldn't play our usual course.

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Using the above methods discarding anything +2 in my last 3 rounds at Cromwell in Cambs I would have handicap of 25 the same at Menzie Barhill but Wyboston Lakes it would be 21.