halfway hut/club champs

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
We only have a halfway house (tent style gazebo) on our Lady Captain's day, the men have one for Captain's and President's. It is disruptive, especially if you have a good round going.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
But it does highlight a potential problem.
You have 2 of the 4 ball who want to stop and 2 that don't....who wins?

If no direction from the club I'd like to think that with 4 adults involved they'd have a brief chat leaving 9th green (to share feelings n'stuff) and a simple compromise would be reached that everyone's ok with

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So if you had a score going you'd "make your feelings known"
Does it matter to you how their game's going whether to stop or not

Isn't that a bit selfish if the others want to stop anyway

I don't think so personally. had someone else in the group been going well and not wanted to stop I'd happily carry on and give them the best chance of making as good a score as possible and would simply hope that would be reciprocated and if there was going to be a potential problem, voice it and explain why I wanted to carry on. As others have said if you are a four and two want to stop and two don''t who wins?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would hate it if there was a long stoppage at the half way point every round.

We stopped on Sunday at portrush only to grab a bar of chocolate and head on. Most groups bought something and didn't sit around long as the course was pretty busy.

Every hear on captains day we have a pop up beer tent with burger laid on by the captain. Everyone sits and eat and has a drink. I usually pocket my beer and crack it open when my card goes to pot further along the back 9. Its a nice touch once a year but it would be a pain if trying to scoot around quickly in a one or two ball.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Every hear on captains day we have a pop up beer tent with burger laid on by the captain. Everyone sits and eat and has a drink. I usually pocket my beer and crack it open when my card goes to pot further along the back 9. Its a nice touch once a year but it would be a pain if trying to scoot around quickly in a one or two ball.

We have that on invitational day and its a complimentary beer and burger so everyone tends to stop. The stop is basically as long as it takes the next 4 ball to reach the green then off you go, the next hole is about 300 or so yards away so plenty time to eat and drink on the hoof if required

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Hmm, the good old Halfway Hut saga...

I must admit I do like and almost score some clubs on their halfway huts and what they provide, so I'm an advocate of them.

However, all our hot food on every weekend, including all comps is as good as ready and it's just a case of grab & go and by the time you've reach the 11th tee (our hut is at the end of the 10th), you will have eaten your food as the walk from the 11th tee over the bridge/river and is a very testing tee shot to the fairway, allows you to consume what you've purchased comfortably.

BUT, in a comp of any stature, is there not a case of a rules break, in that, you are not only supposed to 'not unduly delay yourself', but, you are most certainly not allowed to 'unduly delay' anyone else!

So, if stopping and the group behind then wants to play through and then you try to join back in afterwards but you've effectively backed up the course leaving a gap between groups ahead where you should have been, have you not breached that rule?

I think phoning ahead can work at some clubs, I know it's been tried at some local clubs and failed though.

One of us will pop to our hut if they are already on the 10th green and order for the group, when we all walk off it's all ready and we crack on.

No sitting down to eat or drink though, well not in a comp anyway!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours is between the 7th and 8th. Our 1st and 8th are together. The 8th is a drivable par 4 and the group in front have to wave you up when they are all on the green. Usually, the members will place an order and then hit tee shots. Once all have hit, they grab the stuff as they head up the hole. Those who want to sit and wait generally let others through if its busy. It's only open on comp days and is managed well.

I have no issues with it personally, but I don't like to stop and lose momentum.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely the only way to stop is to get the hut to only do takeaway until the last CC group clears.

Sometimes hard if the hut is a separate business as are at some courses.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Surely grab and go is the only sensible thing in competitions?

Social or corporate days are different...had some nice stood at Wentworth, looking forward to the legendary one at Sunningdale... when I played Sun City, it was sit down knife and fork lunch for what seemed like ages.

D

Deleted member 23344

I used to occasionally play at Rookwood in Horsham and the halfway hut is the reason that I never play there now, even though my club has a reciprocal arrangement with them. Everything is nicely spaced out over the front nine and then wham ... congestion on the 10th tee as people restart after their tea and rolls. The final straw the last time we played there was three "four balls" waiting to tee off as we finished the 9th.