Captains Day

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
My place doesn't have a meal after or a grand presentation. Not that I'm aware of. Play, have a drink after, go home. Captain will have a tent / small marquee after the ninth where he will give out drinks, maybe have a BBQ going, but that's all. Not everywhere has a grand affair.

Personally, I've never gone back in an evening after playing in the morning.

That's pretty much standard in north east, or certainly at any club I've been a member of

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Ours has food after the golf, as it's a shotgun start, prizes and auction/raffle. No way people would be returning for an evening meal.
Members last year voted for presentation evening to be during the day, so this happened at Captain's Day too.
This is the key, as we've said before. Poll the members and find out what they want, what they think, etc. It's the only way you'll ever know why they aren't turning up.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have an AM and PM shotgun with food laid on after both rounds. Play for the Henry Cotton cup presented by the man himself (google him if you are unsure who he was!!) and always a full field and booked up early. Raffles and captain provides a refreshment area by 10th tee and some small gifts for all the players (pitch mark repairers, pencils, ball markers) and various prizes (nearest the pin both rounds etc. top 3) Presentation in the afternoon after the PM round and anyone in contention from the AM round contacted by the handicap secretary or GM and advised to come back in to collect their prize

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
My place doesn't have a meal after or a grand presentation. Not that I'm aware of. Play, have a drink after, go home. Captain will have a tent / small marquee after the ninth where he will give out drinks, maybe have a BBQ going, but that's all. Not everywhere has a grand affair.

Personally, I've never gone back in an evening after playing in the morning.
Is that coz you have never won? 😁

Thor

Club Champion
Visit site
Our Captain’s Day was on Saturday when we had around 230 out. Traditionally it’s the biggest day of the year, ball plus drink and burger voucher given to each member on the 1st tee, BBQ at the 9th, full prize presentation, dinner and dance in the evening. Great day it has to be said even if my golf was meh.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Ours this year will be a Florida scramble (whatever one of this is) followed by a mixed 9 hole 4BBB in the afternoon. £20 per person to enter the schedule, £3 for the BB.

Someone is having a laugh. We’ll be playing elsewhere that day.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ours this year will be a Florida scramble (whatever one of this is) followed by a mixed 9 hole 4BBB in the afternoon. £20 per person to enter the schedule, £3 for the BB.

Someone is having a laugh. We’ll be playing elsewhere that day.
Similarly at ours.. our 'Captain's Charity Day' is down in the calendar as a "1-2-3 Betterball" with a team size of 4. Last time they had one of these, our fourth player didn't show up so we were given a 'ghost player'. Results were never published and I didn't know who our ghost player even was so I had no idea where we finished. Might give it a miss.

mister v

Visit site
Our's is on saturday and i've just checked the start sheet , 105 on it at the moment. shotgun start and im looking forward to it, the captain is a good guy, gets involved and is always at the club.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm in several minds about Captain's Day.....
Clubs I've been a member of have had straight Stableford comps with LD and NTP etc etc, some have had more fun comps li,e Waltzs and Scrambles which makes it a much gentler, social thing..
I've never been sure about having LD/NTP in qualifiers....having a heave for the LD and messing it up could ruin your card...not sure.....
I think, overall, I prefer the more social/fun type of Captain's Day rather than the cut and thrust of competition that we get week in, week out....
This year's is a straight Stableford qualifier in 3 balls - in 2 minds whether to play or not.

Skytot

Visit site
It seems that most forum members clubs have a 1 off Captains day . The 2 clubs I’ve been a member off it was Captains weekend stroke play . Also both had qualifiers in the build up to the weekend. ON the subject of socials , I find they are now too expensive.