halfway hut/club champs

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Like MikeH happy to indulge in a social round and there are some crackers about. In a competition I'd want to keep moving especially if I had a good card going and would be making my feeling known if the others were considering stopping. Fortunately our tenth is right by the clubhouse and so if you call ahead it's ready for collection on the way through usually and so need to physically stop, order and eat. Just grab the food and keep moving.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I used to be of the same mindset, i.e. it breaks the rhythm. Nowadays I treat it as an opportunity to reflect on what went right and try and reinforce the mindset to carry on after a chance to calm down a wee bit. There's little point in getting het up as you can't change it.... go with the flow man. Peace and love

D

Deleted member 21258

I'm personally not a fan of halfway hut stops on anything other than a social rounds as they always break any momentum/concentration you might have built up over the front 9

Agreed completely, the other week I was level gross after nine on ladies captain day and was really focused, wife/adam wanted to stop and have a drink/eat/mothers meeting with the lady captain husband, after I had said I didn't want to stop. I was a bit angry to say the least and promptly quadied the 10th. I can laugh about it now! After that day I have decided I will look at it differently and not allow that to happen again, as it ruined the enjoyment of back nine for me(even tho I did bounce back on the rest of the back nine), as I was angry for the rest of the round and I don't play golf to get angry with people.:p

Therefore to be frank or dave, I came to the conclusion why not, we don't play this game for living, we play at the weekend out of choice and you always have a choice to not stop and play on as a group rather than stop. Happy Days in my book now, good job as had to stop at the highway house on Saturday on the 25th anniversary event and I enjoyed a nice bakewell tart and didn't quad the 10th this time :thup:

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have our hut open for winter league matches, you come off the 8th put your order in and it's ready by the time you have played the 9th. Eveyone stops and never had any issues, this does not happen in the summer. Stopping halfway seems to be more popular abroad than here.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ours in only used 2 days a year, Captains Day and Charity Day. On these occasions it is a compulsory stop of around 15 minutes to have a drink with the Captain, with food and wine/beer provided.

Rest of the year we don't stop as the hut is not open other than for the toilets.

Can't say I'd be up for a compulsory stop every round, although in a social round at an away course I can see the attraction.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tenth tee is bang in front of the club house at ours. I've not heard of compulsory stops before, and it's not something I'd want to do. I usually eat a breakfast before we tee off, so by the time I've finished the 9th hole, I'll just run in to use the toilet, refill water bottle if it's a hot day, and maybe buy a Snickers at the bar, then straight back out onto the 10th tee. I wouldn't want to have a proper sit down bite to eat even on a social round, feels like interrupting the flow too much. At most we might pick up a bottle of beer each but then get on with it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Like MikeH happy to indulge in a social round and there are some crackers about. In a competition I'd want to keep moving especially if I had a good card going and would be making my feeling known if the others were considering stopping. Fortunately our tenth is right by the clubhouse and so if you call ahead it's ready for collection on the way through usually and so need to physically stop, order and eat. Just grab the food and keep moving.

So if you had a score going you'd "make your feelings known"
Does it matter to you how their game's going whether to stop or not

Isn't that a bit selfish if the others want to stop anyway

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Due to the layout of the course ours happens after the 8th and again after the 13th. I've only been at the club for a couple of months, but I get the impression it's open for about 1/3 of competition Sundays - the more important the more likely it is to be open.

I'm firmly in the "no stopping" camp. Grab a bottle of water and move on. If I'm playing well I want to continue. If I'm playing badly I want to get it over with as soon as possible. Hanging around for 10-15 minutes twice doesn't help either route.

That said, the ladies that run the halfway house are lovely and the food isn't bad, so I guess I'll have to learn to go with the flow.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours in only used 2 days a year, Captains Day and Charity Day. On these occasions it is a compulsory stop of around 15 minutes to have a drink with the Captain, with food and wine/beer provided.

Rest of the year we don't stop as the hut is not open other than for the toilets.

Can't say I'd be up for a compulsory stop every round, although in a social round at an away course I can see the attraction.
That would wreck my buzz , fond of me grub i am but il have something b4 i play and just a snack and drink when playing . i hate stopping even in the charity days for the free burger after 9 .. just ruins the tempo ..

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's twice a year, and it's part of the day on both occasions.

Rounds at ours take just over three hours so not a big issue in the wider scheme of things.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting. Ours seems to work perfectly.

The 8th tee is near it, orders are placed at that point for those eating. Food is ready on arrival from the 9th green.

5 - 10 minute stop, departure is just as the group behind arrives and the group in front is approaching the 10th green.

I'd never even thought about it as being disruptive, it's just part of the round. Perhaps that's the difference? Where it's the case that sometimes you stop sometimes you don't, I mean.

I can also see it's different where the course is two loops of nine returning to the clubhouse. Ours is one loop of 18 with the 10th at the far side.

Everyone stops more or less. Very occasionally people carry on having asked permission of the group at the hut, but tends to be if it's a 2 ball behind a 4 or similar.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
We have a grab and go hut, has sausage and bacon cobs to go under a hot plate.
I hear they are nice but the missus ex works in there from years ago. So I save the awkwardness.

Refreshment cart on the other course sells cans of old speckled hen. And it's an extra pound if you want a shot of whiskey in your coffee.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to be of the same mindset, i.e. it breaks the rhythm. Nowadays I treat it as an opportunity to reflect on what went right and try and reinforce the mindset to carry on after a chance to calm down a wee bit. There's little point in getting het up as you can't change it.... go with the flow man. Peace and love

Brilliant!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So if you had a score going you'd "make your feelings known"
Does it matter to you how their game's going whether to stop or not

Isn't that a bit selfish if the others want to stop anyway

But it does highlight a potential problem.
You have 2 of the 4 ball who want to stop and 2 that don't....who wins?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We don't have a halfway hut but I don't want to stop at all. If I want to eat I prefer to do it before or after the round and I particularly hate compulsory stops.