halfway hut/club champs

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
afternoon all

we had our club champs at the weekend and I was surprised to see people stopping for anything up to 10 mins at the halfway hut

I'm personally not a fan of halfway hut stops on anything other than a social rounds as they always break any momentum/concentration you might have built up over the front 9 and also it 'can' lead to pace of play issues with some groups stopping for longer than others and causing play to get compressed.

On a social round I'm cool with a stop and can often be found eating pork products (the Royal Lytham Pork Pie cannot be beaten) and quaffing beverages - (Vodka and Idris ginger beer/hot chocolate and brandy are two of my favourites)

Frankly I was playing so badly - a pair of 86s... thanks for coming - that I could have stopped for a three course meal with fine wines and it wouldn't have made a difference but had I been playing well It would have done my nut to have an enforced stop (both days my other PPs wanted to stop and get something to eat/drink AND then sit down and eat/drink said items)

My view is that for an event of the stature of the club champs it should have been 'grab and go' only

For full disclosure purposes I should state that on day 2 I had some sort of Costco knock off Cornetto to cheer myself up but I could have eaten that by the time I hit my tee shot on 10

any views?

D

Deleted member 23270

Agree.....grab and go would be appropriate given it was CC day. 20 min stops are compulsory in South Africa!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
afternoon all

we had our club champs at the weekend and I was surprised to see people stopping for anything up to 10 mins at the halfway hut

I'm personally not a fan of halfway hut stops on anything other than a social rounds as they always break any momentum/concentration you might have built up over the front 9 and also it 'can' lead to pace of play issues with some groups stopping for longer than others and causing play to get compressed.

On a social round I'm cool with a stop and can often be found eating pork products (the Royal Lytham Pork Pie cannot be beaten) and quaffing beverages - (Vodka and Idris ginger beer/hot chocolate and brandy are two of my favourites)

Frankly I was playing so badly - a pair of 86s... thanks for coming - that I could have stopped for a three course meal with fine wines and it wouldn't have made a difference but had I been playing well It would have done my nut to have an enforced stop (both days my other PPs wanted to stop and get something to eat/drink AND then sit down and eat/drink said items)

My view is that for an event of the stature of the club champs it should have been 'grab and go' only

For full disclosure purposes I should state that on day 2 I had some sort of Costco knock off Cornetto to cheer myself up but I could have eaten that by the time I hit my tee shot on 10

any views?

not a fan of stopping full stop and def not club comps.

luckily the half way hut is really for visitors at Nairn and is not open when members (well me anyway) come though in the morning.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
not a fan of stopping full stop and def not club comps.

luckily the half way hut is really for visitors at Nairn and is not open when members (well me anyway) come though in the morning.

nice wee bothy that at Nairn. Remember skulling at brace of continental lagers when we swung by at the Highlands Pro-Am the other year

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't have one at ours but you can phone the clubhouse when you get to the 9th tee and it will be ready for you by the time you get of the green. Always love playing Portstewart as they have one at the 9th green have let 3 sometimes 4 groups go thru us by the time we come out of it:thup:

D

Deleted member 16999

Don't like stopping during a comp and normally have what I want to eat/drink during the round in my bag at the start.

If you don't stop, are groups happy for you to go ahead of them or are you expected to stay in playing order?

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Don't like stopping during a comp and normally have what I want to eat/drink during the round in my bag at the start.

If you don't stop, are groups happy for you to go ahead of them or are you expected to stay in playing order?

thats another issue... there isn't really any formal etiquette for stopping/not stopping

D

Deleted member 16999

thats another issue... there isn't really any formal etiquette for stopping/not stopping
Seen 1 or 2 courses were the comp is moving well only to see a back log on the 10th caused by those stopping/not stopping.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The only place ive been that runs it well is Castle Stuart, its just grab and go and you only have to stop if you want to of course its not a members club so no comps. Its the starters hut as well so he sorts out letting though if people want to stop longer.

One i don't like is Gleneagles. Compulsory stop, for an already slow round, hut isn't that big so always packed.. just holds things up even more.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Archerfield have a must stop at the halfway house policy whether you have something or not, however those miniature steak pies are worth stopping for anyway. Likewise the Renaissance, a cracking halfway house.

Agree with others though, never in competition.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We dont have one at our current club, you can get food or drink from clubhouse as passing if want.

Enjoy stopping at courses in a social game though can affect rhythm afterwards thats for sure, think it should be pick and go in something like CC for sure

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
No regular halfway hut at ours, at least not one where you can buy anything, it is just a little open shelter, basically, so usually people don't bother to stop. We do have catering (cake or little snacks, coffee etc.) on some events (not the club championship, though) and if there is, then you are expected to stop for a little while. People tend to be very considerate with it, though, stopping just until the next group comes off the 9th green. It even helps to close gaps in the field and have slower groups catch up. They just take a slightly shorter break or no break at all. But it is done more with fun events and social competitions.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm not a fan of Halfway Huts either. Ours at Elsham is only open for the "majors" and big invitation events . If one group decides not to stop then it causes mayhem !!!! It worked fairly well yesterday on Captains day but after a decent front 9 the last thing i wanted to do was to stop for 10-15 minutes. Managed to cling on on the back 9..just.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I enjoy a social stop and don't get a near a CC so that is not an issue for me either. It does break up a round however so if I was any good and in with a chance of winning I would not want it. I don't play often at courses with a half way hut so it is a novelty for me still.

I really don't like compulsory stops however. It should be my choice whether I stop or not.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have stopped then played poorly after and of course I have not stopped and played poorly,however my preference would be no stopping.

I remember the HFH day at North Hants when we stopped and my game went missing soon after.
Stu C on the other hand probably enjoyed the stop.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In round 1 of our club champs the other week, we had a 15 minute stop on the 18th tee to let 100+ horses and riders come down the road beside the hole, as part of thecelebration to mark the start of our village's annual gala week.

OOB hard up the right, with the prevailing wind usually nudging you that way. The chance of slinging one onto the road and scattering horses was not worth taking, so we waited.

Fortunately, we were in the second group out and had created a big enough gap to the group behind that there was no impact on the rest of the field.

Not ideal, though, as I had a good score going, so i guess it could have put me off. Right thing to do, though.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Personally I can't see the point in halfway huts at all.
If you want a bacon sandwich,turn up 30mins before your tee time and have one.
If you need a pork pie half way through your round,put one on your bag.

D

Deleted member 15344

We have a halfway hut but everyone treats it the same way - you Order pick up and go with no real delays. On a comp day that's how it should be

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Ah c'mon
'If i stop it might knacker me for the back 9'
'Comps are too important to stop'

Amateurs really will grasp any straw to explain a poor shot/failure

For every round that fell to peices there will be those it made no difference on and those rounds it got back on track after a dodgy start