Hacker with delusions of grandeur - An update.......

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi folks

I started a thread about a month ago and wanted to update those interested

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?73302-High-handicapper-potential-daft-idea

Basically i play of 19 and wanted to ditch my Rocketbladez tours for something forged and compact.

Ditched the TM's and grabbed a set of the Cobra Amp Pros from a fellow former 5 weeks ago

Well..

Had the Cobra for a good few weeks now and despite me falling in love with the idea of having nice forged irons, after 5-6 rounds and around 20 range sessions........

I am still madly in love.

I knew that i had potential to strike the ball very well and i have (on some rare occasions) managed to do this 80% of the time on the course.

Now i can honestly say that these things are really helping me to understand just how to strike a ball consistently well. The feedback is instant and i am constantly craving the feeling of a lovely soft thud that a pure strike delivers.

I have been hitting at least 60 balls a night down the range pretty much every day, getting more and more idea of how to hit a ball correctly and the results are very very positive.

My accuracy, shot shape and distance are really improving. There is genuinely a club difference with the Cobras over my old TM's and they are no less punishing on a duffer than any other club i have hit.

My tempo is slowly getting smoother and the flight is much lower and penetrating. Over the weekend i would say i had my best ever ball striking day. I dont want people to start chuckling at my distance claims, but my PW was carrying 140 easily with (what felt like) no power at all. On our uphill par 3 16th i have been know to take a 6 iron and just make the green. Yesterday i took a smooth 7, hit it sweet as a nut and proceeded to airmail the green by a good 10 yards.

Disapointed?

Nah

I was buzzing!:eek:

Now to point.

Do i think that having these players irons with stiffer shafts and smaller heads have improved my game because they are designed to give me the ball flight i have craved?

Absolutely not. That would be a ridiculous claim.

What they have done is really given me a desire to hit them as best as i can. Because in doing so i am rewarded with the loveliest feeling in golf (IMO) when you feel that sweet, sweet contact up through your hands and arms. Just before noticing your ball hurtling its way to the target.

Its the enjoyment i am getting out these things that is making me want to really devote time to practicing. I was also helped by some of my low H/C mates muttering under their breaths that i should have bought some G30's instead.

The irony is that (so far) i am becoming a better player by hitting clubs that should absolutely not be in a chopper like me's bag

Not sure what the point of this thread is really, Just wanted to share my thoughts.

Fingers crossed i can really make a move this year. God knows it wont be from lack of trying

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Back in the day- when I was a lad learning the game, there were only blades. It taught you so much and you learned or gave up.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Back in the day- when I was a lad learning the game, there were only blades. It taught you so much and you learned or gave up.

Thats a good point.

Seve honed his skills with a rusty 3I on a beach, pretty sure that was a blade back in those days.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Nice work, 140 carry with a pitching wedge in the middle of winter is impressive :thup:

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi folks

I started a thread about a month ago and wanted to update those interested

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?73302-High-handicapper-potential-daft-idea

Basically i play of 19 and wanted to ditch my Rocketbladez tours for something forged and compact.

Ditched the TM's and grabbed a set of the Cobra Amp Pros from a fellow former 5 weeks ago

Well..

Had the Cobra for a good few weeks now and despite me falling in love with the idea of having nice forged irons, after 5-6 rounds and around 20 range sessions........

I am still madly in love.

I knew that i had potential to strike the ball very well and i have (on some rare occasions) managed to do this 80% of the time on the course.

Now i can honestly say that these things are really helping me to understand just how to strike a ball consistently well. The feedback is instant and i am constantly craving the feeling of a lovely soft thud that a pure strike delivers.

I have been hitting at least 60 balls a night down the range pretty much every day, getting more and more idea of how to hit a ball correctly and the results are very very positive.

My accuracy, shot shape and distance are really improving. There is genuinely a club difference with the Cobras over my old TM's and they are no less punishing on a duffer than any other club i have hit.

My tempo is slowly getting smoother and the flight is much lower and penetrating. Over the weekend i would say i had my best ever ball striking day. I dont want people to start chuckling at my distance claims, but my PW was carrying 140 easily with (what felt like) no power at all. On our uphill par 3 16th i have been know to take a 6 iron and just make the green. Yesterday i took a smooth 7, hit it sweet as a nut and proceeded to airmail the green by a good 10 yards.

Disapointed?

Nah

I was buzzing!:eek:

Now to point.

Do i think that having these players irons with stiffer shafts and smaller heads have improved my game because they are designed to give me the ball flight i have craved?

Absolutely not. That would be a ridiculous claim.

What they have done is really given me a desire to hit them as best as i can. Because in doing so i am rewarded with the loveliest feeling in golf (IMO) when you feel that sweet, sweet contact up through your hands and arms. Just before noticing your ball hurtling its way to the target.

Its the enjoyment i am getting out these things that is making me want to really devote time to practicing. I was also helped by some of my low H/C mates muttering under their breaths that i should have bought some G30's instead.

The irony is that (so far) i am becoming a better player by hitting clubs that should absolutely not be in a chopper like me's bag

Not sure what the point of this thread is really, Just wanted to share my thoughts.

Fingers crossed i can really make a move this year. God knows it wont be from lack of trying

Sounds like your really getting stuck into it mate. I've no doubt your H'cap is going to tumble, its just a case of when. I hope you get a couple of wins on the way :thup:

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice work, 140 carry with a pitching wedge in the middle of winter is impressive :thup:

To be fair we are playing of fairway mats at the moment, so i had the best possible lie. Thing just flew of the face though. I was flexing my pecs in a comedy style'e therafter.

:D

D

Deleted Member 1156

To be fair we are playing of fairway mats at the moment, so i had the best possible lie. Thing just flew of the face though. I was flexing my pecs in a comedy style'e therafter.

Visions of you kissing your 'guns' :D

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like your really getting stuck into it mate. I've no doubt your H'cap is going to tumble, its just a case of when. I hope you get a couple of wins on the way :thup:

Cheers Dave

I have never been more confident of slashing my HC. Cant wait till April. Hopefully i will ruffling a few feathers in the comps :D

I was accused of banditry by a PP last year after driving the green on the 10th.......

Luckily i put paid to his rudeness by three putting from 15 yards...:whoo:

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Use what works. I spent a year with some Mizuno MP68 blades whilst playing off 21, they were beautiful and incredibly satisfying to hit well but they taught me a lot about poor contact and forgiveness. I switched to the JPX825 Pro because the 1 in 10 mi***** with the 68s was enough to regularly ruin a scorecard. I'd like to go back to the 68s again but the cost of changing shafts to match the 825s wouldn't be economical.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I am now thinking that my other Irons (which included GI's) had lured me into a false sense of security. I could just smack the ball and it would get up there either straight, or with a massive hook or push.

No i really have to sing for my supper and its paying of so far.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can I have them back???:D

My favourite post of the year mate. I know what you mean about really concentrating over every shot. Looking down at that thin sliver of steel really does sharpen the mind. I can't wait to see them in action at Chorley..:thup:

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers Danny

Though i know for a fact that inviting you up to my gaff for a 18 holes with your old bats, will pretty much guarantee i will have a shocker!

D

Deleted member 15344

Great to hear your hitting them well

I don't prescribe to certain clubs fit certain HC - I believe it's more about having confident in the club you have in your hand. It's quite clear you feel confident and happy with the clubs so you will relax and just naturally concentrate and hit the ball better

The result will be good golf and a HC that will tumble down - enjoy the ride :thup:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
No doubt hitting bladed clubs should improve your ball striking, only trouble comes is when like pretty much all handicap golfers is you will have days when you can't hit a cows behind with a banjo, that's i suppose is what i found to be the main difference when i switched from my MP62 muscle back to the JPX pro GI irons.

I could still shoot a reasonable is score as a miss hit was not too disastrous with a GI club.

Going back to Blades myself this year, but will be keeping the JPX in reserve, for those Banjo days;)

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Glad to hear they suit you, just keep playing well so your handicap comes down before the Mayors Cup weekend!!

I'm of the same opinion as Phil - You've got the confidence with those clubs whilst stood over the ball. Some clubs give you that in the way they look, feel, swing and it sounds like you've hit a great combination.

Keep it up. If you think you can get to 15 then aim for 13 instead. Always put goals on the hard side.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Who cares about scores. For me its the enjoyment factor and if you hitting pure shots and getting the most satisfaction then use the Cobra's

Obviously the OP does how else will he reduce his handicap without lower scores?;)

Eh me aswell ! not at present as its only 13 hole winter league , but the min qualifiers come round . scores & handicap are the aim

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Agreed.

Unprovable, but I think I'd be a worse ball striker now if I learned with GI clubs. Also, blades were blades. The clubs I used to use make my MP-69's look slightly chunky.