Grips question

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If I wanted my grips a little thicker, is it possible for a pro to remove the existing ones without cutting them off, then put some tape on and use the same grips again?

I don't want new grips because these are only a couple of months old, but they feel thinner than my last ones.

If it's possible, any idea of cost?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If I wanted my grips a little thicker, is it possible for a pro to remove the existing ones without cutting them off, then put some tape on and use the same grips again?

Yes.

Next?

They use magic fairy dust to get the grips off without damaging them, put on the tape then refit the old grips, again by magic.

Cost?
Pennies

:)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So, easily done and somewhere between pennies and £3 per club.

I like Bob's price better :D

I need some of that magic fairy dust. My daughter wants some ever since she saw Peter Pan :D

Thanks for the replies.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Region, google ct golf in Orpington. Chris was going to shaft swap my burner woods for me as I already had shafts. Shaft swap was £15.00 and either £2/£3 on top to remove grip from regular shaft and refit to stiff. I didn't think he was expensive and turn around was quick

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bob

as a follow up, is there a scientific method of working out how thick your grips should be. Since I weakened the grip a few months back Im constantly battling to get the hands comfy on the grip and part of this I think is I may have it too thin.

Is there a way for measuring for certain size hands you should have so many layers or go up to midsize?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
hmm, maybe a few more years yet then lol, hopefully getting a driver fit next week, will quiz them then on grip sizing as im not comfortable with mine currently and need all my irons regripping and keep putting it off as not sure I know which grips or how thick

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
as with most online fitting things, it has limited usefulness. If you have a 'standard' hand you might be ok, anything marginally different (they are quoting 1/32 in.) and it may not be right.

supposed to just be able to touch the pad at the base of your thumb with the tip of your middle finger I think.

I ended up with ladies + 2 wraps (fortunately there were no pinks left!).

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I found at a c'f session that standard grips, with 3 layers of tape is perfect for me. They still feel a little small, but any larger and I can't square the face at impact. It isn't just a measurement thing.

IHH

Hacker
Visit site
there is a tool from golfsmiths tht utilises pressurised air to separate the grip fr the tapes, however, not many ppl do this.

or

u can forcefully peel the grip off by inserting a long rod to separate the tape with lots of white spirits, it's darn messy and if it tears, it tears. At least u have tried.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
comes up as Gold, +1/32". Not sure how that translates into extra layers mind lol

1/32" difference :eek:

This is "custom fitting" gone mad

Does that take into account whether you wear a glove or not?

Due to old age and circulation problems, I wear winter gloves at times. Should I change my grip size to allow for this when wearing them?

rikkitikk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes it is possible and between £10 to £15 I have been informed as I got custom fitted and was advised to have one layer of tape on the clubs. Played with them for a year and have changed grips now with 2 layers of tape on. Where I got them done told me it is possible to remove the grip and have a 3rd layer put on if I want.

I found this site useful on how to measure for grip size and number of tape:

http://www.golfgrips-direct.com/acatalog/Grip_Sizing.html