Grip Sizing

SG86

Medal Winner
Visit site
Good Morning fellow hackers,

I have recently been flirting with the idea of thicker grips, my hands are on the larger size but I've always used standard pencil grips. I feel I am loosing alot of control and recently the ball has been what I like to call over drawing (hook). I have used a friends club with x2 extra layers and it worked very well.

I was looking on the PING website as I'm in the market for a fairway wood, after using their grip sizer I am into the Golf +1/32" - Fantastic

My Question is...

If I were to buy grips, would midsize be better or standard with x2 layers, or would you reconmend just getting a batch of PING Gold Dot grips? I'm not fussed about the branding that my grips have providing they work.

I have used midsize and can control my ball flight well.

Any helpful tips would be great, I worked for American Golf when I was a teen and was always told that midsize was 3 layers but I think this may be wrong.

Regards

SG86

SG86

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the links Oddsocks, I think Golf Pride are the best in the business at the moment, the amount of tour pro's using them at The Open speaks for itself.

I'm a big Lamkin fan so thing I'm going to take the plunge and buy some,

but

I'm also thinking about removing my current grips and replacing them with an extra x2 layers and if this works then splashing out during the dark season.

SG86

SG86

Medal Winner
Visit site
No that is the best link I've seen all year.

When I worked for American Golf we used mass amounts of White Spirit and a flat thin 10" piece of metal and had to work it round the grip to free the masking tape, usually took about 10 mins per club, was messy and burnt your hands and the amount of times the metal strip would go through the grip's was untrue thus rendering the grip usless. I'm going to try the air method as I have a trye pump in the shed, I'll either post a video or take some pictures of my results!

Thanks again

SG86

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
let me know SG, if it works then im going to do my own although i would try on a old crappy club from the spares bag first. i thought the air pump design looked pretty simple, im guessing if you warmed the grip with a hair dryer first it may be even easier as the rubber should soften nicely under a bit of heat ;)

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Be careful with the air method, if there is very sticky tape under the grip, sometimes the grip just blows up like a balloon, becomes over stretched and is useless. If you keep inflating it, it can explode, which would be a bit dangerous (Un)Fortunately, I've only ever done the balloon trick!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can only assume my pro's lady friend has been playing ball in the bedroom department as he has just re gripped 10 clubs in golf pride multis for £60, yep £6.00 each when my local ag quoted me £10.50 each.

Gone with + 2 layers and will be all ready for a nice 90 min lesson tomorrow night, wonderful :D

bigfoot1985

Head Pro
Visit site
i have just had my irons re gripped from normal to midsize golf pride new decade grips..

I have noticed a big big difference and have alot better feel with every shot.

Defo worth getting done if you have larger hands like myself

danbaylis

Club Champion
Visit site
Just to echo bigfoot1985, I had my whole set done from standard size to midsize (Golf Pride Multi-compound) and I would never go back.

Its annoying as the grips are more expensive but totally worth it.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I went down to ladies grips (small hands) and have noticed quite an improvement, so the right sized grip is important.

Incidentally I can get golf pride multis fitted at £5 per by the pro shop!