Greenside club selection

D

Deleted member 1147

All of the above but one thing I find in the USA is the grain ,
Most pros in the USA play lob wedge
Pros in Europe play more clubs to suit the shot.
But I mainly watch the US tour so you see more lob wedges than anything as the grass is hard to run a ball through sometimes.
Yes, you could definitely add grain to that list.
Into the grain won’t run out as much. Down grain, down slope will run forever ?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
1. Whichever club will land and rollout to flag from the largest target landing area. (Landing area being flat, or consistent slope, with predictable behaviour on landing).
2. Occassionally you get a win win situation where if it lands slightly short it will roll more e.g. slight downhill slope then levelling off with 10 yrs to flag which can give you an artificially increased landing area!
3. Most of the time, as someone highlighted above, it's the opposite in practice and you need to be realistic about how large your target really is - uphill slopes being the obvious. Here you really need to focus on pace and almost ignore air and landing conditions. Keep it low, low, low....

Or just go with the firm check shot 'cos it's more important to look good when it works than boringly, consistently, get it close ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Do some pros have 56*/lob wedges with very low bounce for when they need steep up and down?

I was always a bump and run with a 7i/8i fella - but drifted into using wedges when really I didn't need to - and indeed it was for me not the right club. Getting pretty good results at the moment - and will keep on with - keeping it low and running. Not trying to do anything in the way of trying to get check on the ball. I'll take whatever check comes as part of the shot I play.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
For some reason a lot of the videos and podcasts I’ve been listening to have advocated using a short/mid iron (eg8 iron) around the green instead of a SW or lob wedge. I break out the 56 all too automatically.

I don’t get to watch a lot of tour golf and was just curious what the pros tend to use.

1. Do the pros use this strategy more than going for a lob wedge?

2. What sort of distance from the green does a mid iron stop becoming effective for a bump and run?

Definitely an iron if I don't have to lift the ball. Usually an 8.
If I have to fly the ball over a hazard / rough / slopey ground, then I have a 54 designed for playing from turf (as opposed to sand).

1. I think in the main pros are using a 58 or 60 wedge for a LOT of these shots. But ultimately they are making perfect contact and looking to impart spin or check on the ball. They are also getting new wedges whenever they want.

2. I'd say it depends on conditions. If it's dry, then I'd happily try and run a ball in from 30 or 40 yards with an iron. If it's wet and the ground is soggy, then I'd be happier playing a lofted shot.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Do some pros have 56*/lob wedges with very low bounce for when they need steep up and down?

I was always a bump and run with a 7i/8i fella - but drifted into using wedges when really I didn't need to - and indeed it was for me not the right club. Getting pretty good results at the moment - and will keep on with - keeping it low and running. Not trying to do anything in the way of trying to get check on the ball. I'll take whatever check comes as part of the shot I play.

Yes - I've seen whats in the bag videos and pros will often carry 5 wedges between tournaments, 2 of which have low bounce that they will only use on weeks when it's firm ground.

Robin Hood

Visit site
My go to clubs are an 8 iron if there is no obstruction, and I have a decent amount of roll, otherwise a PW.
Over a bunker I am very comfortable with a 60 degree wedge.

Time to own up........
I do possess a Wilson Chipper but it's hidden in the back of the garage - virtually as new !!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Or just go with the firm check shot 'cos it's more important to look good when it works than boringly, consistently, get it close ?

Now you're talking my language, make sure you wait until your playing partners are ahead and in line to have a good view ?

Yes, you could definitely add grain to that list.
Into the grain won’t run out as much. Down grain, down slope will run forever ?

Plus if your ball is sitting in even semi rough and the grain is against it can snag the club, it’s like wire wool in places, so you have to move the clubhead quickly and doing that with a lob wedge allows you the speed to pop it out. If you tried to bump it you could leave the 8iron standing where the ball was and you looking rather silly.

D

Deleted member 1147

Now you're talking my language, make sure you wait until your playing partners are ahead and in line to have a good view ?

Plus if your ball is sitting in even semi rough and the grain is against it can snag the club, it’s like wire wool in places, so you have to move the clubhead quickly and doing that with a lob wedge allows you the speed to pop it out. If you tried to bump it you could leave the 8iron standing where the ball was and you looking rather silly.
Horse for courses ...