Green Keepers hours

Hogieefc

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi, not sure if we have any green keepers on here or possibly committee members who can answer the following

How many hours do you work plus starting and finishing times, i'm guessing that in winter you are starting later than summer.

Do your hours include weekends or are they paid at an overtime rate.

Any other information you think relevant would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Annual salary. 6am - 2pm Mon-Fri. If it's dark, machinery/equipment maintenance indoors. W/e rotas.
If conditions are potentially dodgy, Head or Deputy come in early. If the ground crew are involved an a major project we haven't subcontracted, they get overtime.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know ours start at 6 because the course status email goes out around 6.30 and in summer it might be earlier.

They finish around 3 judging from when I see them leaving the greenkeeper's compound.

Overtime has to be approved by the Board of Directors.

Somebody works weekends but not all, I believe, as we get course status updates and you can see the greens have been mown.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
6 till 2 all year round during the week and they work 1 weekend in 3 starting at 5.30 and finishing about 8.30
They just cut and roll greens and maybe fringes at the weekend.
Sometimes they start early and finish early - last summer a couple of themguys were out on the course watering greens at 5am...

Hogieefc

Club Champion
Visit site
Not a lot to be done at 6am at the moment with sunrise between 8 and 8.30
I thought that myself to be honest, can't do much cutting or maintenance on the course till 7-30ish, i know the vehicles get serviced/maintained at this time of year

D

Deleted member 1147

Not a lot to be done at 6am at the moment with sunrise between 8 and 8.30
Ours are there in order to assess whether the course should be open as much as anything.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
All our vehicles and mowers have headlights and the guys have head torches too....
Always something to do even ifmits clearing leaves from the car park at 6.30 before anyone gets there...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
All our vehicles and mowers have headlights and the guys have head torches too....
Always something to do even ifmits clearing leaves from the car park at 6.30 before anyone gets there...

Same, I've seen them out cutting the fairways & greens with the headlights on. Each day they'll go out about 30-60 minutes before first players tee off to do teeing areas/hole cutting and greens etc while others get the practice greens cut and cut practice range, hedging trimming, leaf blowing etc

Not sure but I think they start at 5am year round

D-S

Visit site
Not the whole team needed for service and maintenance of machines between 6 and 8, also there are enough days in winter when the course is inaccessible for these tasks to be done. Also it only takes 1 max 2 green keepers to assess the course for opening, otherwise you’d need the whole team in on weekends. Lights on the vehicles are helpful but far from ideal to work with, otherwise it would be best for the work to be done normally from midnight till 6 as working on an empty, golfer free course would get things done faster.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Not the whole team needed for service and maintenance of machines between 6 and 8, also there are enough days in winter when the course is inaccessible for these tasks to be done. Also it only takes 1 max 2 green keepers to assess the course for opening, otherwise you’d need the whole team in on weekends. Lights on the vehicles are helpful but far from ideal to work with, otherwise it would be best for the work to be done normally from midnight till 6 as working on an empty, golfer free course would get things done faster.

So what’s your point?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
At a past course we had only 1 greenkeeper and there was definitely flexibility for them depending on the time of year. In winter they worked shorter days, in summer they knew they would be out longer. It was a real case of give and take, club and greenkeeper working together.

Skytot

Visit site
Annual salary. 6am - 2pm Mon-Fri. If it's dark, machinery/equipment maintenance indoors. W/e rotas.
If conditions are potentially dodgy, Head or Deputy come in early. If the ground crew are involved an a major project we haven't subcontracted, they get overtime.
What is the annual salary for a green keeper ?

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
That a 6 o’clock start for the whole team in winter is not productive. Better a 7 or even 8 and use the hours saved for longer days when there is more to be done when the grass is growing.

Ah I’d be buzzing if my hours changed depending on the sun coming up like