Great British Bake Off

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
We passed this year for the first time in about 5 years. Great programme but it's a huge time investment.

This is the first year we've watched it, we didn't even know the judges were brand new.
It drags out quite a bit... cooking for a chance to cook for immunity ? but it's excellent viewing.
It's all old contestants apparently, you should have watched it ?

Robin Hood

Visit site
I think Matt Lucas has been excellent, fitted in very easily.

Enjoying it so far. Last series they made a mistake of choosing too many weird things to bake that no one knew or would ever try at home. This time the bakes, except showstoppers, are all things you might try at home.

Who rattled Paul's cage this week? Proper miserable and snappy.

A nice mix this series. There are some consistently good but it is easy to get tripped up if something doesn't suit you.
Bet you can’t wait for mince pie week ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Theres bits about it that I don't get. Why are they using white choclate in a tent with nigh on ten ovens blasting away. Its like the shows set up for folk to fail. In all honesty ave not seen many finished pieces and thought they have smashed it. A lot of the stuff they bake , they are either over stretching themselves of they don't have enough time. Her that went out last night. Bottom line she was rammel. To suggest she was booted out coz she was not white is shocking. I think more would of beèn said if she had been kept in.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don’t get why;

They all have their own ovens, proofing drawer, mixer etc but have to share freezers and at times there’s not enough space
Why do they insist on letting the temp in the ‘tent’ reach levels that do not support certain ingredients/bakes, the show rakes in millions... get an aircon unit (unless its deliberate simply to set folks up to fail)
When the experts say it’s a very tough challenge to do it in xyz time, why not give them an extra half hour? Don’t go mad an double the time but an extra 30 minutes makes no difference to the viewer. Is it a baking contest or best attempt in xyz time

I really really don’t get why everyone (inc presenters) has to wear the same clothes on the second day that they wore on the first day!

Apart from that I quite enjoy it (although I am about 2 years behind UK series)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Slab I agree with all of your points. Regarding the clothing, I believe that is for continuity. The little interview moments are done at irregular times, they may talk about something pretending to be on day 1 when it is actually day 2 etc. An illusion / trickery of tv. My thought is always do they get them washed over night? It gets pretty hot in that tent, there is no way I would want to wear the same top twice or be near others that have as well. I don't like it, would prefer they managed that another way but it is a trivial matter.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
It's still a kitchen...and kitchens get hot, usually the better bakers still do a great job. Although the brownie round was a shambles. I was telling them don't add icing etc As it makes it to sweet ?.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
@Slab I agree with all of your points. Regarding the clothing, I believe that is for continuity. The little interview moments are done at irregular times, they may talk about something pretending to be on day 1 when it is actually day 2 etc. An illusion / trickery of tv. My thought is always do they get them washed over night? It gets pretty hot in that tent, there is no way I would want to wear the same top twice or be near others that have as well. I don't like it, would prefer they managed that another way but it is a trivial matter.

Yeah I’ve always assumed that while they’re all chomping down on a steak-bake and yum-yum for dinner washed down with a bottle of tizer on a Saturday night wearing a Premier Inn bath-robe, one of the production team (prob an intern) is down the local laundrette with a pocket full of 20p’s and plastic cup of Daz washing powder :unsure:

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
It's still a kitchen...and kitchens get hot, usually the better bakers still do a great job. Although the brownie round was a shambles. I was telling them don't add icing etc As it makes it to sweet ?.
The brownies were FANTASTIC. My wife and I were in bits from the word go saying "just make a decent, boring chocolate brownie" and lo and behold they ALL buggered it up!

I think it was Lottie who said "if someone had just made a standard brownie, they'd have won it easily" or words to that effect!

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
The brownies were FANTASTIC. My wife and I were in bits from the word go saying "just make a decent, boring chocolate brownie" and lo and behold they ALL buggered it up!

I think it was Lottie who said "if someone had just made a standard brownie, they'd have won it easily" or words to that effect!
Exactly get the basics first.! I've made the cheesecake topped one that Lottie was trying , it's a hummingbird recipe. It's way too sickly.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No spoiler but I can't argue with tonight's decision, even though that was another of mine in the sweep.

Next week though, Japanese week o_O. Since when have the Japanese been famous for baking?

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
No spoiler but I can't argue with tonight's decision, even though that was another of mine in the sweep.

Next week though, Japanese week o_O. Since when have the Japanese been famous for baking?

Agreed. I've been bored of them since week 1 when I thought they were lucky!

Quite looking forward to next week - they have to mix it up a little. Although as last week showed - if they want them to struggle, give them something "easy"!

Rebuteo

Visit site
After last weeks Twitter blow up about Islamophobia, the use of the very legitimate name 'Gypsy Tart' is leading the way this week

D

Deleted member 16999

Right decision, I don’t think anyone could argue with who got sent home.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Right decision, I don’t think anyone could argue with who got sent home.

Probably not, but I wonder if anyone thought she was booted out because of ageism. Irrespective of the fact she was poor.
That aside I thought Laura had a very good week. The week before she was as miserable as. Last night she never stopped smiling. Is she a “ confidence “ cook.
I think the young lad is very good and at the moment a favourite.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably not, but I wonder if anyone thought she was booted out because of ageism. Irrespective of the fact she was poor.
That aside I thought Laura had a very good week. The week before she was as miserable as. Last night she never stopped smiling. Is she a “ confidence “ cook.
I think the young lad is very good and at the moment a favourite.
Tashy, the person who left was plain poor last night, I'm trying to avoid spoilers here for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. Ageism has nothing to do with it, it just was not their week. They did well on previous weeks but this one caught them out. I had that person in our office sweep but even I was saying they had no option.

I know people, particularly on social media, love a conspiracy but most of the time there isn't one. This is one of those occasions.

I agree with you about the young lad. Next week could be a real banana skin though so anyone could go. Who will have had experience of making Japanese bakes?